• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

From Montana

ToddJK

Thanks, and I'm in no hurry, I will say I am the luckiest person I know and have great luck in acquiring things for next to nothing or free. As I will say some things happen for a reason, got to find the good in it even though you might not see it right away, and if I back out or lose this bid there is something better waiting for me.
You my friend, have a healthy state of mind.

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
I'm not a full time prepper, but even being a little prepared, is by far better than unprepared!
I'm not either at same token if you aren't prepared out here you aren't going to live long or last long out here, here is off the grid with no neighbors with some pretty harsh cold climate and storms or wild fires that rip through. Few other things that you normally don't have but one gets the idea, it's not for the faint hearted.

ToddJK

I'm not either at same token if you aren't prepared out here you aren't going to live long or last long out here, here is off the grid with no neighbors with some pretty harsh cold climate and storms or wild fires that rip through. Few other things that you normally don't have but one gets the idea, it's not for the faint hearted.
My old lady wouldn't go for it, but I sure would. Montana is beautiful country and off grid, it has its perks.

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
My old lady wouldn't go for it, but I sure would. Montana is beautiful country and off grid, it has its perks.
My wife here loves it in fact each time a 20 acre parcel comes up attached to this one she is helping buy it and encouraging it. Trying to keep the rift raft out that think it's fun and games then burn out in a year or two leaving behind derelict travel trailers, burnt out "occasional use" gensets and whatever trash they piled up like a pack rat.

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Needs a new roof, seems someone dropped something heavy on it and it’s not sealing anymor, floor is rotted through on passengers side (I can weld new one in), might need new windowshield frame though needs new weather stripping and new drivers side windshield, hard to start I suspect air getting into fuel lines, air governor is not functioning gets about 150 psi or it’s stuck. Now for the tank on the back, I looked the price up for it including the bands that hold it down is worth $9400 new, it’s a 2650 gallon water tank and that doesn’t include shipping. There is a used water tank for bid there that’s slightly bigger going for $3500.
Would trailer it home but my semi snapped the rear axle springs and that’s over 10 days I have to get it fixed to get the 5 ton out of there. So either drive it home or figure another way but now I have a MV.D9DC082D-B84A-4163-B2F0-BDDD3390FA12.jpeg44160056-BB0D-41C6-9B6E-87D6C968C577.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Needs a new roof, seems someone dropped something heavy on it and it’s not sealing anymor, floor is rotted through on passengers side (I can weld new one in), might need new windowshield frame though needs new weather stripping and new drivers side windshield, hard to start I suspect air getting into fuel lines, air governor is not functioning gets about 150 psi or it’s stuck. Now for the tank on the back, I looked the price up for it including the bands that hold it down is worth $9400 new, it’s a 2650 gallon water tank and that doesn’t include shipping. There is a used water tank for bid there that’s slightly bigger going for $3500.
Would trailer it home but my semi snapped the rear axle springs and that’s over 10 days I have to get it fixed to get the 5 ton out of there. So either drive it home or figure another way but now I have a MV.View attachment 869878View attachment 869879
I like that "jack" for lifting the back of your tractor :cool:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It broke down 10 miles from home so to get it home had to drive loader over to rip back axle off to get the semi home which required using it as a “jack”.
The tank at the same auction went for $4250 so essentially I paid around $5500 for the MV.View attachment 869880
Heck of a deal on the truck if you can find somebody that needs a tank.
Nothing like having that loader when you needed it... Ten miles is a long ride on one of those, but having it solved the truck problem.

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Heck of a deal on the truck if you can find somebody that needs a tank.
Nothing like having that loader when you needed it... Ten miles is a long ride on one of those, but having it solved the truck problem.
I need the tank hehe, I live off grid with no well here since DNR shut any new well drilling down couple years ago and now they started up the ranchers are first and when they hear where we live the refuse to come out. So I have been using a 1650 gallon water tank to fill up from local fire department and I need a tank to collect rain water from the roof, that one is perfect for just that. Use that tank to collect water for our gardens.
There is couple 10k boulders I wanted where the rig broke down, now I got the loader there I will scoop one up put it on the semi and scoop second one up and tote it home.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I need the tank hehe, I live off grid with no well here since DNR shut any new well drilling down couple years ago and now they started up the ranchers are first and when they hear where we live the refuse to come out. So I have been using a 1650 gallon water tank to fill up from local fire department and I need a tank to collect rain water from the roof, that one is perfect for just that. Use that tank to collect water for our gardens.
There is couple 10k boulders I wanted where the rig broke down, now I got the loader there I will scoop one up put it on the semi and scoop second one up and tote it home.
It is rare that everything works out so well. Nice that you have a good connection with the fire department! So, off grid means there aren't any power lines to your place either. Guessing maybe solar to supply electricity?

Not a lot of competition for boulders - but if you want or need them...

I was pretty darn excited here a couple of years ago when the construction folks up the road from here dug one up. Mine might be more like "a big rock" (about 3 feet around). They ended up giving and tractoring it over to my place. Had them drop it out by the street where the "backflow preventer" was installed about 15 years ago. Thing has been smashed flat by idiot drivers several times recently. Now days, my big rock seems to collect paint chips... :) Make me smile when I see a new color.

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
It is rare that everything works out so well. Nice that you have a good connection with the fire department! So, off grid means there aren't any power lines to your place either. Guessing maybe solar to supply electricity?

Not a lot of competition for boulders - but if you want or need them...

I was pretty darn excited here a couple of years ago when the construction folks up the road from here dug one up. Mine might be more like "a big rock" (about 3 feet around). They ended up giving and tractoring it over to my place. Had them drop it out by the street where the "backflow preventer" was installed about 15 years ago. Thing has been smashed flat by idiot drivers several times recently. Now days, my big rock seems to collect paint chips... :) Make me smile when I see a new color.
Yep, no electrical lines around for miles running on solar, no phone lines or internet lines, no phone service either except I have a cell phone booster 40’ in the air, no neighbors for miles, though not many boulders around either. Want to put the larges ones I can on both sides of my driveway and take the rest to use as retaining wall for my house. These are lot bigger than 3 ft, if you want you can tractor these back to NC hehe. That’s what I call cheap amusement at other’s expense, wouldn’t mind that, that gives me a idea to put one by my mailbox 3 miles up the road that’s been plowed over couple times by the local drunk.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would trailer it home but my semi snapped the rear axle springs and that’s over 10 days I have to get it fixed to get the 5 ton out of there. So either drive it home or figure another way but now I have a MV.View attachment 869878View attachment 869879
I see you have a snorkel kit on that 977 are you trying to say it gets cold sittin up on that tractor all day in the winter time ?????

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only about 40 below zero with up to 60 below zero wind chill trying to plow snow blowing into the open cab after you hold the glow plugs on for 2 minutes and tap the frozen starter to kick off :ROFLMAO:
Been there done that biggest problem at that temp is keeping the fuel filters wrapped with towels and wire to keep them from gelling up and keeping that throttle pulled back wide open all day

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks