• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axel boot questions?

RedOctober

I recently went to take my truck for a drive to walmart, and plan on taking it offroading this weekend, when i noticed the front right boot had what appeared to be a lot of grease leaking out of it. is this a major problem? what do i need to fix it? and can i still go offroading?

any help is appreciated thank you

Barrman

The boot is probably ripped. Replacing it is the only thing to do. Search through other threads about replacing them, buy up the parts/tools and tear into it. This is a great chance to inspect/replace wheel cylinders, inspect/replace brake shoes, inspect/replace/repack wheel bearings, inspect/replace tie rod ends and the kingpins too. don't forget the inner tube axle seals either.

paulfarber

I just replaced a front boot and you don't need any seals unless you are replacing a 'solid' boot.. that requires removal of the wheel and knuckle. I don't really buy the 'chance to look over the works' as a valid reason to tear off the knuckle. Unless you have other issues don't go ripping stuff off... way to much work for what will be very little pay off.

To date, none of the people who tore off the knuckle seems to have found anything worth the $100 in parts to do so.

If you do go the zippered route clean the knuckle channel where the boot fits.. you are relying on friction to keep the boot in place while you screw on the wire band.. grease in the channel will make that sucker pop right out.

jasonjc

i believe mine are the solid style not the zipper so do i have to remove the knuckle or can i just cut it out and replace with zipper style

Yes you can cut the old one off and replace with a zipper boot.

I like the soild ones better myself but thats just me. I like too look inside and clean it all out and start off with nice new seals. But if I had just done this and tore a boot I'd go with the zippered one.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i believe mine are the solid style not the zipper so do i have to remove the knuckle or can i just cut it out and replace with zipper style

I believe you just cut the old ones off and put the new zipper style on.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To date, none of the people who tore off the knuckle seems to have found anything worth the $100 in parts to do so.....
You are not speaking for me!

I found the inner thrust washers on the axles were incorrect, probably from a 5 ton because the inner diameters were too large and allowed the washers to flop around on the shaft! Also the seals were mismatched and did not seal. Something about young soldiers performing maintenance and repairs.....

My suggestion is to do it once right and do it well so you have the measure of security you have looked at it. Should be good for the rest of the life of the truck that way.

Rick

Barrman

He wasn't speaking for me either. I spent $50 for brand new boots and what ever the grease cost. I like knowing the proper parts in proper shape are inside the front end of my 14K pound trucks. Taking it apart is the only way to know that.

hatteras4164

Take it apart: When I took mine apart to replace the boots and axle seals also found that tha u joint was about to go. Better once then twice.

benand117

i did the zipper boots once. they were quick but i looked under the truck about a month later and they were shreaded. grease everywhere. i'm buying the solid ones this time.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks all is there any draining i should do after going through water

Sounds like you need to read all three levels of Tech Manuals, starting with the operators manual, then the unit level maintenance, then the depot repair. After that you'll understand how to operate it, how to maintain it (after fording) and how to repair it, after you break it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks