• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Axle Service - Ball and Claw Axles

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m doing my first front axle service on Deuce 1 and found I have the older style ball and claw axles. Ive learned that they use a different retainer than the newer u-joint axles. I have 2 different retainers installed. One with a flat side facing out and one with a stepped side facing out. Not sure if I’ll need to replace one to the old style so they match?

Any info on these older style axles is appreciated . I’ll be looking through old posts over the next few days for more info as well.

I tried a metal rod and pvc to knock out the seals... didn’t budge at all, will be trying a slide hammer tomorrow.

A few other interesting finds - the drivers side lock tab wasn't locked at all and one of the boot retainers was broken and bent in between the boot and axle. Also, 2 of the spindle studs were hardly screwed in. A few turns and they came right out.

I’ll get more pictures posted tomorrow. Ran out of steam tearing into the truck for the past 2 days.

Attachments

Last edited:

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have trouble getting the seals out you can try another method. I cut up a heavy piece of wood to go across the face of the housing and made a piece of steel I could slip into the seal. Then with a threaded rod, two nuts, and some big washers I was able to jack them out all controlled like.

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a few more pics as I await the arrival of my new slide hammer to remove the axle seal retainers. I'm not sure how it was operating normally, but one of the axle seal retainers is for the u-joint style axle shafts.

Attachments

Last edited:

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the upper kingpin bushing need to be replaced and a spacer was missing.
I pulled a new one from my parts bin, but aI think its missing the inner bushing? The old one has grooves inside and the new one is smooth. The new one fits on the kingpin with almost no play. Can a kingpin bushing be smooth and not grooved inside?

Attachments

Last edited:

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the upper kingpin bushing need to be replaced and a spacer was missing.
I pulled a new one from my parts bin, but aI think its missing the inner bushing? The old one has grooves inside and the new one is smooth. The new one fits on the kingpin with almost no play. Can a kingpin bushing be smooth and not grooved inside?
The groove helps the grease get around the pin of course. I changed these also and the new ones did not have the grooves same as yours.

I ended up getting an expansion reamer and opening them up just a bit. There is a spec in the TM. After pressing them in the ID shrinks some.

I did not cut in new grooves. You could make the grooves with a Dremel.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I happened to have the reamer as I was also replacing the pins that hold the leaf springs to the frame. Made new pins 0.010 oversize and reamed out the worn bushings.

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the front brake cylinder and soft line from axle to brake cylinder on the passenger side…. Turned into replacing the distribution block soft line and drivers side hard line. Inspect your soft and hard lines!! The soft line is like a wet noodle!

For those of you that knew Frank8003, I purchased one of his tool bundles a while back and used some of them today. His memory lives on, he was a nice guy for sure.

Attachments

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The front axle service is finally complete! Test drive was successfu! Steering response was so much nicer and the front drum temperature after a drive barely hit 100 degrees.

New inner axle seals
New inner hub seals
New spindle nuts and star washers
NOS inner axle seal retainers for bendix axle shafts (ball and claw axles)
New upper and lower kingpin bushing
New zerk fittings
New tie rod boots
Drain and fill front differential
New boots and retaining rings
New brake cylinders
New hard brake lines in the front
All new rubber brake hoses
Power bled system x2
Adjusted brakes per TM
Tons of fresh grease
At least 60 cans of brake cleaner
Endless rags and shop towels

Drain and fill steering gear box, filled with 80w90 gear oil, removed destroyed drain plug and replaced

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks