• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axles not working in 4 wheel drive

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi all,
Hoping for some advise from some experts on here. I have not used the 4 wheel drive in over a year. Last time it worked fine but now when I locked the front hubs in they lock in OK but the front tires are definitely not working. I got into a wet area and the back tires were spinning but nothing on the front. When I went into 4L it was same problem back working but not front. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but wanted to see what I might check before I have a real mechanic look at it.
Any advice would be great.
Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did you confirm the hubs locked in? Usually, they are the problem and require service.

snowtrac nome

Usually its one hub or the other. To test them put t case in 2 wd lock the hubs if you can spin the front drive line than look at the knuckles and see which one is turning, that will be the hub that isn't engaging

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This may sound silly but it’s not meant as anything derogatory. Do you have a front drive shaft still installed? Stranger things have been stolen...

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi when they locked in I felt a click so I assume they are locked in? Yes I looked under and can see nothing is missing. snowtrac nome didn't understand how to test. Can you explain a little more please?
Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Explanation of test. With transfer case in 2 HI, lock in both hubs. With vehicle parked and off, crawl under it and try to turn the driveshaft. If it turns, look up at each axle joint. Whichever axle is spinning will be the side with the issues such as broken hubs.

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All, OK with the transmission in 2 H I locked both front hubs in. I then turned the front driveshaft. The passenger side hub by the wheel turned a lot when I turned the driveshaft. The drivers side started to turn but barley moved. So I assume that's telling me there is a problem with the drivers side but what exactly is that telling me?
Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Service both hubs. The right side appears to have not locked. I would service the right side first.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure, sorta! Remove the 6 torx screws and remove the hub cover. There should be one external snap ring on the axle and an internal in the groove of the wheel hub. Once both rings are out you can (if not too crusty) remove the hub assy. I would go to the TM section and download TM 9-2320-289-20 and TM 9-2320-289-34. They cover the procedure quite well and they are free.

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks pretty simple? OK I'm sure it's not going to be quite as simple as it seems

Remove 6 screwsSnapring (3)but may be installed if desired.(1) and locking hubcap unit (2).NOTEmay not be on truck. Snapring is not necessary for operation,2. Remove “O“ ring seal (4) andIockring (5). Remove snapring (3)from axle shaft (7), Remove lockinghub body unit (6) from wheel hub (8).Discard “O” ring seal.
Clean all componentsbefore installation.NOTEand axle shaft (7), and lubricate with grease• Flat side of snapring (3) must face inward.1. Position locking hub body unit (6) in wheel hub (8). Install snapring (3) on axle shaft (7)groove. Install Iockring (5) and new “O” ring seal (4) on inside of locking hubcap unit (2).2. Aline tabs (9) with locking hub body unit (6) slots and install locking hubcap unit (2) with 6screws (1). Tighten screws to 45 lb.-in. (5 N•m)

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't taken it apart yet but was planning on having the parts in hand in case it needs replaced. Is there a difference between the K5 Blazer part and a normal blazer? I assume there is? I tried NAPA and LMC Truck Parts and they don't have the front hub. Any idea where I might find the parts? Thanks

cucvrus

NAPA has the Warn 1/4 turn hubs. They are the same as any GM 1/2 ton 4WD of the same years. It is a cooperate 10 bolt front axle as long as it still has the stock drive line. NAPA PT # 9790 About $140.00. That will get you the stock compatible warn 1/4 turn hubs. They are chrome and work well. I have used many of them. Happy Holidays.

cucvrus

[h=2](Mon-Fri 5 a.m. - 8 p.m. PT | Sat 6 a.m. - 5 p.m. PT | Sun 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. PT )[/h]Home » Truck & Jeep » Hubs » Locking Hubs » Warn Manual Hub Kit » Standard Manual Hub Kit

Scroll Right Scroll Left

Added to Wish List

[h=1]

Standard Manual Hub Kit[/h]

• List Price: $115.99
  • Price: $89.99

[h=2]Expert Advice[/h]We are here to help
877-262-4761

[h=2]Shop now with confidence. Guaranteed lowest prices.[/h]Learn More

[h=2][/h]
[h=2]Other Product Choices to Consider[/h]

[h=2]Part Number: war9790[/h]
  • Standard Manual Locking Hub Kit
  • For Use With 19 Spline Outer Axles For Use On Internal Style Wheel Hubs
  • Chrome Outer Housing
  • Black Center Knob
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty
  • Vehicles With Full Time 4WD Will Require Conversion Kit
  • Vehicles With 3 Bolt Automatic Hub Covers Will Require Spindle Nut Kit Part Number WAR 32720

WARN Standard Hubs are the ideal choice for OEM hub replacement. These are the same basic hubs Warn Industries has supplied to OEM's around the world. WARN standard hubs share many features with our premium hubs such as a 4140 steel clutch ring and inner drive gear and a precision cast hub body.