• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Brake Squeal

rustystud

Yeah it is super embarrassing.

Rosco how are you doing the sand trick? I've never heard of that before. I'm going to try a long hill today hopefully and see what that does.
I'm hurt Dan ! Didn't you read my post ? Just kidding. The sand trick is easy. You just put fine sand into the brake drum and go and stomp the brakes a few times. You might have to get creative in how you get the sand into the drums since the backing plate doesn't come off.

welldigger

Pull inspection port on drum and insert a funnel. Add sand. Drive. After you feel you have thoroughly sanded your shoes and drum stop. With inspection port in vertical position remove cover again. Insert water hose. Flush with copious amounts of water. Let drain. Drive again with inspection cover off. Carefully, wet brakes and all. Flush again. Repeat process until squeal stops.....or gets worse due to lack of brake lining.

As long as you aren't crazy with how much sand you put in there it shouldn't be a big issue. The sand gets pulverized as you drive. The flushing is just a good precaution.

welldigger

Lol now come on my tires are badass.....

I'm seriously thinking about trying this. .... will play sand work?
Play sand might be a bit coarse. But if you sift the gravel out and use only small amounts at a time it should be fine. Maybe less than a 1/4 cup or so. It doesn't take much.

welldigger

I would start with some fine sugar or white Mason sand. But I'll be honest. If I already had play sand I'd probably use it. Just in very small amounts. Again don't forget to sift it. You don't want rocks and crap in there.

Ok update..... I didn't do the sand yet. I came down a long hill today at probably 60 mph and applied the brakes hard till about 30 then sped back up to 60 then braked back to 30. I did that 3 or 4 times. The squeal has gotten considerably better. Almost none existant. I'm going to run it tomorrow some more and hopefully it will keep getting better and better. Brakes also seem to be working better and better too.

Jeepsinker

Ok, was just wondering if there may have been a bare shoe or something you weren't aware of. Could have had a spring come loose and get between the shoe and drum somewhere too.

That's what I'm thinking cause it is slowly getting better and when I bobbed the truck I moved shoes around and matched axle to axle so they were all good.