• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Diff Cover

466Navastar

what am i missing here?.....remove the bolt and braze or weld the hole shut

where did the bolt come from...ring gear?

Last edited:

richingalveston

patching the hole is easy. figuring out where the bolt came from and what else is missing or broken in the diff would be my biggest concern. The bolt came from the inside of the diff. so something has to be wrong, unless it was a previous failure and they left the bolt there to keep the hole plug. If that was the case then it was a bad idea.

Skinny

Assuming that everything in the front end is OK, that would take a metal fabricator a whopping 5 minutes to fix. It will take him longer to get his tools out than to fix that.

If you decide to go with a replacement cover, pretty much everyone makes a decent cover these days. Seems like the cast ones are cheapest and typically have a drain and fill hole.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have someone weld the bolt down so it doesn't move. Clean the cover out really well, then write what you know of the story of the bolt on the inside of the cover with a Marsh white marker. Someday another owner may find it and it'll be a cool surprise.

We used to use those markers to write long stories on the inside of jet engines during rebuild. I still have a drawer full of those markers- good stuff.

Skinny

The covers are expensive but the nice feature is the drain/fill plugs that they usually come with. I don't know about you but I absolutely despise dropping a pan or cover that doesn't have a drain hole. We have the technology...it makes life easier. Plus you can set that thing in with RTV and forget about it. Changing fluid doesn't have to be a messy process along with scraping the gasket surfaces. You only have to pull two plugs out to do the whole thing. If I was in your situation and had to replace the cover (if you decided not to weld it), I would get a cover with drain/fill plugs. Just my two cents.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks