• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front right blinker not blinking

Jeff MD

Strange issue. The front right parking light works, but the front right blinker doesn't. I replaced the pod as there was some water in the pod, but that didn't do it. Tried new bulbs as well. The right rear blinker works fine as well as both the left ones.

Any ideas where to start?

ahowell9

Strange issue. The front right parking light works, but the front right blinker doesn't. I replaced the pod as there was some water in the pod, but that didn't do it. Tried new bulbs as well. The right rear blinker works fine as well as both the left ones.

Had similar problem.

Had a similar problem. I had my grounding wire running connected to the wrong bolt. After connecting ground properly, it works like a charm

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Plastic Lamp Housings / Buckets ????

If running the plastic lamp housings one must provide a connection to BOTH mounting bolts. There is a two hole strap like thin backing plate to make the electrical connection for both bolts with the one ground wire. Without it, crazy ground returns will make lamp work all wonkie, pulling out hair and naughty words to fly.

Strap must be clean, rust free, nice & shiny bolts or WTH, D#$5*8# Stupid F@#*?? Thing.

Just saying, CAMO

Jeff MD

Plastic Lamp Housings / Buckets ????

If running the plastic lamp housings one must provide a connection to BOTH mounting bolts. There is a two hole strap like thin backing plate to make the electrical connection for both bolts with the one ground wire. Without it, crazy ground returns will make lamp work all wonkie, pulling out hair and naughty words to fly.

Strap must be clean, rust free, nice & shiny bolts or WTH, D#$5*8# Stupid F@#*?? Thing.

Just saying, CAMO
Yeah, it is the plastic housing. Just checked it and it does have the nice shiney strap across both bolts. Now to start tracing the wires starting at the harness hood connector.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Just for fun... Is this a new to you rig and did it ever work? You have the print so should be easy, well the grelems can hide pretty good. Things to watch out for are the connectors swapped in the splicing box (behind the metal plate) Would be fun to see a picture or two...TOO.

Always wondering what others are up against with wacky electrical problems. Let us know if you catch a gremlin alive.

Willing to help, but mostly a guessing game from a distance, CAMO

Last edited:

Jeff MD

I will get some pictures tomorrow behind the plate. Yeah, this is a new rig direct from govplanet. The turn signal never worked and I thought it might have been something in the housing as it had water in it. I replaced the housing and it has the same issue with the turn signal, the parking light works as well as the blackout light.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Sounds like you working it out with logic. With print in hand, checking wire numbers tags and keeping "EYES" on the prize you should have it. Good place to jump in is at the connector with a simple 24 volt test light (been over this tool a zillion times) or multimeter. Set up switches and levers to make that right hand turn and with print check at connector. (Is the rear a blinking? right)

Next to impossible to read the print. The wire in question #460 at the RIGHT turn lamp and at connector pin "F" should be the one. Remember it will be on / off voltage. Note: wires 460 goes to 460 for right.

My next best cheap tool is a six foot test lead, alligator clips on each end. One could connect it to the 24 volt side of battery and test the lamp leads and lamps in the bucket to be sure. NOT the ground ZAP POP SPARK.

You should be on the RIGHT course soon, CAMO

The TOOLS: note bulb changed to a 24 Volt type. Road map for HumV. LOL

elect tools.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff MD

Fixed it. Turns out it was the blinker module. I had to wait for the part to confirm. Your wiring diagram was awesome in tracking that down. Thanks!

Sounds like you working it out with logic. With print in hand, checking wire numbers tags and keeping "EYES" on the prize you should have it. Good place to jump in is at the connector with a simple 24 volt test light (been over this tool a zillion times) or multimeter. Set up switches and levers to make that right hand turn and with print check at connector. (Is the rear a blinking? right)

Next to impossible to read the print. The wire in question #460 at the RIGHT turn lamp and at connector pin "F" should be the one. Remember it will be on / off voltage. Note: wires 460 goes to 460 for right.

My next best cheap tool is a six foot test lead, alligator clips on each end. One could connect it to the 24 volt side of battery and test the lamp leads and lamps in the bucket to be sure. NOT the ground ZAP POP SPARK.

You should be on the RIGHT course soon, CAMO

The TOOLS: note bulb changed to a 24 Volt type. Road map for HumV. LOL

View attachment 839440

Ajax MD

@papakb Can I please get the link to the M998 wiring diagram? I cannot seem to find it in any of the tech pubs listed on this forum.
I did find the complete M1123 wiring diagram but I'm not sure if that's close enough?

I've discovered that my driver's (left) rear turn signal does not flash. Also, if the left turn signal is on, the left brake light will not illuminate when you step on the pedal. If no signal is turned on, then the left brake light illuminates so it's not the "bright" element in the bulb.

There's obviously some sort of short between the rear left turn signal and the brake light wiring for the rear driver's bucket.

JetbikeAnt

@papakb Can I please get the link to the M998 wiring diagram? I cannot seem to find it in any of the tech pubs listed on this forum.
I did find the complete M1123 wiring diagram but I'm not sure if that's close enough?

I've discovered that my driver's (left) rear turn signal does not flash. Also, if the left turn signal is on, the left brake light will not illuminate when you step on the pedal. If no signal is turned on, then the left brake light illuminates so it's not the "bright" element in the bulb.

There's obviously some sort of short between the rear left turn signal and the brake light wiring for the rear driver's bucket.
The technical schematics are at the very end of Technical Manual #3 I believe. And they cover all Trucks. They are also available here. Look at the Pinned Topics.

Ajax MD

Whew, this is fun. I'd be screwed without the diagram.

Ok, there's a short to ground on the turn signal wiring where it goes back to the driver's rear composite light. I've figured that much out.
This prevents the rear driver's brake light from lighting when the left turn signal is on because it's the same wire.

Possible causes:
Defective 3-lever switch
Defective turn signal switch
Defect inside the composite fixture itself or the wiring of it.

From the t/s switch: Wire B goes to the front driver's t/s indicator. Wire C goes to the rear driver's t/s/brake indicator in the tail composite light fixture. Since the front is unaffected, Wire C is shorting somehow. Could be inside the switch, could be somewhere else.

Usually these failures happen on the ends of the wires.

Jeff MD

Also check the flasher unit. I thought at first my switch was it and turned out it was the flasher unit under the dash. Here it is for example.

Ajax MD

I replaced the flasher fairly recently.

I swapped the turn signal switch from my 5-ton over the HMMWV and the driver's rear signal worked correctly so the t/s switch in the HMMWV is the culprit.
Edit: Why the heck are those NARTRON switches so friggin' expensive? Mine didn't even have the self-canceling stubs on it.

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I replaced the flasher fairly recently.

I swapped the turn signal switch from my 5-ton over the HMMWV and the driver's rear signal worked correctly so the t/s switch in the HMMWV is the culprit.
Edit: Why the heck are those NARTRON switches so friggin' expensive? Mine didn't even have the self-canceling stubs on it.

Rolling into a Mcdonalds for a $10 dollar burger in the HumV...

Think they saw me coming, CAMO

JetbikeAnt

Whew, this is fun. I'd be screwed without the diagram.

Ok, there's a short to ground on the turn signal wiring where it goes back to the driver's rear composite light. I've figured that much out.
This prevents the rear driver's brake light from lighting when the left turn signal is on because it's the same wire.

Possible causes:
Defective 3-lever switch
Defective turn signal switch
Defect inside the composite fixture itself or the wiring of it.

From the t/s switch: Wire B goes to the front driver's t/s indicator. Wire C goes to the rear driver's t/s/brake indicator in the tail composite light fixture. Since the front is unaffected, Wire C is shorting somehow. Could be inside the switch, could be somewhere else.

Usually these failures happen on the ends of the wires.
Could be a chaffed wire. Get your meter out and check continuity to ground working backwards from the signal. Meters are our best friend and don't lie.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks