• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front tire blow out going 55 MPH on the freeway

o1951

Hi - Thank you for posting pix.
I am confused - in post 1, you said "The blow out was so server the tire bead had come completely off the rim both inter and outer, along with that the valve stem had been sheared off too."
Tire looks seated on both inner and outer now?
Suggest you check the integrity of the other valve stems, curious what you find.

Rifleman

o1951, to answer your question, yes it did pop the tire off the bead, both inter and outer. You can't tell from the photos but the rim is just sitting on the tire, it will flop back and forth while i am rolling the tire, if i were to lay the rim down and push on the sidewall i can push the tire completely away from the rim on both sides. I did look at some of the other tires to check to make sure i am not missing any damage, but i am not sure what your getting at about the "integrity" of the valve stems?

trukhead

First I am glad that you are ok, I worry about any kind of blowout myself. I watched a very interesting video on you tube the other day about what to do in case of a blowout. They had trucks driving with tires wired to explode and said that you should floor it. No matter where the blowout, you stomp the gas. Never drive with no rpm to gain and you will always have a little engine to help push you straight. If you apply the brakes it will put more weight and force foward and make the truck pull harder to the side of the blowout. I hope I never have to deal with this situation and that if I do that I do not panic and stomp the brake. Heres a link to the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8znCgvHMb-g
Thankyou for posting this video. The accelerator application seems counter intuitive but the video demonstrates good practice. I have only experienced losing a left front steer on a 1 ton Dodge pickup with a diesel, the pucker factor was indeed there. A quick counter steer and a nearly complete avoidance of the brakes and allowing the truck coast to a stop kept it on the right side of the line. It was 15 or so years ago and I still remember the event. I think I tried the brakes and it would pull violently, so no brakes were subsequently applied.

I pray that this never happens to any one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFFhzo6WEr4#t=30
I watcheed this video a few times and I noticed his brake lights just before the truck careened into the guard rail. I hope it never happens t anyone again. Really nothing more to say.........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks