• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front tires worn on the outside edge

isaacucv

My front tires are worn more on the outside edges. The truck steers fine and is smooth driving. The only issue I have is when I hit the brakes, it shakes like crazy. I ordered brake rotors for the front so hopefullly that solves that problem. But what could cause the tires to wear like that?

NCBloodhound

Search for 'death wobble'. My tires are the same and when I brake or hit a pot hole I get the death wobbles. It is NOT worn rotors on my truck. I am taking it to the shop tomorrow.

Barrman

Run your hand over the tread from outside to inside and than back out. Is it smooth going in and ruff coming back out? Kind of like a really dull saw blade? Then, that is a toe induced tread wear.

If it is smooth in both directions, then it is a camber induced tread wear. You didn't indicate what kind of vehicle you have. M1009 has ball joints and an adjustment sleeve you can rotate to set camber/caster. The rest of the CUCV trucks have king pins and pretty much rebuilding them, spring hanger bushings and about 15 other things can be done to get it correct.

Your vibration while braking could be steering/suspension induced or it could just be the rotors like you stated.

isaacucv

Search for 'death wobble'. My tires are the same and when I brake or hit a pot hole I get the death wobbles. It is NOT worn rotors on my truck. I am taking it to the shop tomorrow.
Well please post your findings, I am going to order the king pin bushing kit from ord anyway as a pm thing. I can feel it in the pedal though which is what made me think brake rotor.

isaacucv

Barrman, thanks for the info, I have an M1008. I found brake rotors on sale for $28 each so I will swap those either way. It only shakes when I hit the brakes, but it could also be a conbination of warped rotors and worn steering parts.

bguy193

Run your hand over the tread from outside to inside and than back out. Is it smooth going in and ruff coming back out? Kind of like a really dull saw blade? Then, that is a toe induced tread wear.

If it is smooth in both directions, then it is a camber induced tread wear. You didn't indicate what kind of vehicle you have. M1009 has ball joints and an adjustment sleeve you can rotate to set camber/caster. The rest of the CUCV trucks have king pins and pretty much rebuilding them, spring hanger bushings and about 15 other things can be done to get it correct.

Your vibration while braking could be steering/suspension induced or it could just be the rotors like you stated.

Barrman beat me to it..... Sounds like the tire wear is due to an alignement issue. If your kingpins are in bad enough shape the clearance in them can cause vibration when braking. The clearance can also create a bad negative camber angle leading to the infamous death wobble. But like Barrman stated above it can also be steering or suspension issues.
Good luck and happy trucking:driver:

DXTAC

I JUST had the same issue. It ended up being upper and lower ball joints on the PS and the inside tie rod off the pitman arm were bad. Did the replacements myself and paid for an alignment. Drives like a DREAM now. Steering wheel is a little off but the steering wheel wander is gone too.

isaacucv

Well its hard to tell, the steering parts seem tight. Im gonna get the ord king pin bushing kit to start, along with the rotors. I will replace everything this summer anyway, I guess I have to start somewhere.

notsosanestan

i can see the bottom on the spindle moving in and out when i pull on my tire so i guess i need to rebuild my king pins too. i just am curious weather u need to replace the bottom kingpin/cap and everything or are the usually ok to reuse?

this part https://www.4wdfactory.com/store/products.php?product=Dana-60%2C-Lower-King-Pin-{47}-Cap

Last edited:

NCBloodhound

Mine ended up being a bad steering stabilizer and being severely out of alignment. It had extreme toe-in. Warped and warn rotors contributed when braking. I won't get the truck back until tomorrow. I can post pics then.

isaacucv

Im glad you got it sorted out. I have the bushing kit coming so I will try that out, and some new rotors. Thanks

NCBloodhound

Mine ended up being a bad steering stabilizer and being severely out of alignment. It had extreme toe-in. Warped and warn rotors contributed when braking. I won't get the truck back until tomorrow. I can post pics then.
I also found out there were issues with my steering gear. The mechanic feels this contributed about 20% to the death wobble. In fact, I still think there is a problem. If you are going between 30 and 50 and let go of the gas and step on it again it jerks the wheels to the right. I'm taking it back sometime this week.

Barrman

What psi do you have the rear tires at? The locker in the rear makes it so you can steer with your right foot. The lower the psi in the back and the more you can make it point left or right by throttle movement.

NCBloodhound

What psi do you have the rear tires at? The locker in the rear makes it so you can steer with your right foot. The lower the psi in the back and the more you can make it point left or right by throttle movement.
You know...they rotated the tires because the fronts were too worn on the edges to align the front end. The rear tires were fine as far as uneven wear. Now my rear tires have a much lower PSI because they rotated them. I had the front at 45 and the rear at 65. Now it is reversed. I'm getting new tires this week so I will adjust the pressure then and see if anything changes. Thanks for the tip!