• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Economy M35A2 vs M35A3

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently recovered an M35A3 from Fort McCoy and completed a 1000+ mile trip home, most of it on the expressway. My newly acquired A3 averaged 6.37 MPG over the whole trip.

I have driven my 1969 Kaiser Jeep Hercules LDT with D turbo several thousand miles since I recovered it. I currently average 10 - 12 MPG with the A2 running straight diesel, depending on the type of driving. My mileage with the A2 has improved since I picked it up, although I have not tuned it or changed filters.

I was disappointed that the A3 doesn't get better mileage. I know the A2 is geared better. However, the A2 is turning 10 NDCC bias ply tires. The A3 is only turning 6 radials. Both trucks are running excellent. Both are winch trucks. I should also state that I have confirmed that the speedometers in both trucks match my GPS exactly.

How does this compare with other people's experience?

Last edited:

Silverback

I have been averaging 10+ on my A3's, well on 4 of them, the other 3 haven't been getting any miles put on them yet. I've been very happy with the mileage on my A3's. HTH, Dan.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You almost always get less fuel milage with an automatic transmission.

I drove an A3 from SC back to AL. I liked the creature comforts (still had to wear hearing protectors) but the top speed was disapointing.

I have no idea how it would pull loaded but I don't think it would be much of an improvement over the manual.

mktopside

Banned
I don't know exactly what im getting on my A3 but that sounds low to me
Did your mileage improve any after getting the 500 hr service done? Thinking about it, mine has 596hrs on it, I wonder if the army did it at 500hrs.....

I've been getting 8.5 for the last 3 tanks on my A3. Granted it's freezing here and I don't know if winter diesel doesn't get the same gas mileage as summer diesel.... But I wish there was more I could do to get better mpg. I ordered lockouts for the front, they should be here next week, hopefully that will help some.

goodguyzy

i don't have 500 hours yet, less than 200. It may stay that way for some time since i bought it November, by mid December, no paper work received but GSA received their paper work (good enough for a pickup) Took a chance with no trip permit and pickup it up. Now its still in my driveway still waiting for SF-97 with no answers from GSA me yet. On a positive note I enjoy driving it in my driveway.

My A3 driving around town gets 6 mpg. Mixed city/highway its 7-8, while strictly highway it is 11+12. It.is.11 with the the pedal to the metal,.and 11 just 2 mph slower. Never got a.solid 12.yet. Thinking very seriously about adding propane injection. Anyone tried.that on an A3?

mktopside

Banned
My A3 driving around town gets 6 mpg. Mixed city/highway its 7-8, while strictly highway it is 11+12. It.is.11 with the the pedal to the metal,.and 11 just 2 mph slower. Never got a.solid 12.yet. Thinking very seriously about adding propane injection. Anyone tried.that on an A3?
That's interesting, I've been keeping to the slower roads instead of the interstate assuming that driving at redline burned a lot more fuel. Maybe I'll do all interstate next week (gonna piss some people off but F'em I'm bigger) to see what it does.

Not to nitpick words, but when you said "pedal to the metal" did you really mean that? I'm afraid of going too far over the redline and I try not to go over 2800. If I floor it on the highway the tach will bottom out. I've only done that once. Is there a limiter or will the 3116 just rev till it comes apart?

Last edited:

mktopside

Banned
i don't have 500 hours yet, less than 200. It may stay that way for some time since i bought it November, by mid December, no paper work received but GSA received their paper work (good enough for a pickup) Took a chance with no trip permit and pickup it up. Now its still in my driveway still waiting for SF-97 with no answers from GSA me yet. On a positive note I enjoy driving it in my driveway.
Sorry, I thought it was you that said you had the 500hr service in a previous thread. Guess it was someone else.

That would drive me bonkers just having it sit like that. Of course everyone I know thinks I'm bonkers for using it as my commuter car so I guess it's all relative.

flyxpl

From Madison WI to my place , 350 miles all interstate at 48-50 mph I got at least 10 mph . I had a good 1/3 tank left when I got home .

I believe my A3 does better than the A2 I would geuss my A2 to be less than 8 mpg .

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be hitting the Gov. at 2600 but maybe they got you turned up.
I run 24/25 and don't like my tires for the street.
Did you do check for brake drag on all drums and parking brake.
Wonder if the transmission fluid change to the syn. would help here.
Is the trans shifting ok and down shifting ok?
Did you run with the back covered?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The brakes are all free, so that isn't an issue. One difference was the cargo cover. My A2 has a cargo cover on it and the A3 has only the bows. I would have thought a cargo cover would have added more drag, but who knows? I plan to change the fluid in the Allison, but I wouldn't expect that to change mileage. The trans shifts up and down perfectly.

mktopside

Banned
You should be hitting the Gov. at 2600 but maybe they got you turned up.
I run 24/25 and don't like my tires for the street.
Did you do check for brake drag on all drums and parking brake.
Wonder if the transmission fluid change to the syn. would help here.
Is the trans shifting ok and down shifting ok?
Did you run with the back covered?
2600?!?!? Lolol well, either my tach and my speedo are way off or my truck don't have that. My RPM displayed on the tach makes sense when I look at my speed, so I doubt it's off.

So your telling me that you guys just drive around at full throttle all the time and don't worry about over revving?

On mine I switch to DexIII right off the bat to get the crap out of the trans.....shifts better.

mktopside

Banned
I never run mine any higher thean 2500 RPM.

Too slow for around here, I'd do that if I could but VASP would write me for obstructing traffic.

I'd love to know if there is another Allison trans out there that is a direct bolt up that has an OD. Even if it's expensive I could start saving now. Other than that, maybe dropping in a 6bt that can spin to 3200rpm will be the ultimate solution.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks