• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Economy

rickyman355

Hello everyone,

I have an 84 blazer, 6.2 diesel. It's been running great, it's a perfect road trip vehicle (it will be when I convert it to run on WVO). It runs great but I'm hoping to improve the fuel economy. Right now I would say I'm getting about 14 MPG highway (running on biodiesel, B100) I talked to one of my sargent's and he said my PCV / CDR valve was bad, so he gave me a new one. He also said my valve on my oil cap was stuck, so he cleaned it and now it's working like it should. He said once I replace the CDR valve I should be getting about 20 - 21 MPG. Does that sould right? Does anyone know how may MPG I should be getting? I tried looking it up but I couldn't find it. Also I was told by a friend that on these vehicles, you can turn up the fuel pump and get better fuel economy and more horsepower. Has anyone else heard this? Thanks for your help.

Westech

CPL
well all a CDR valve is a can with some wire mesh in it to trap oil and only burn the vapors, so unless its clogged 100% (never seen that one before) its fine. as the oil cap goes, just replace it, it must be a breather type and not a vent-less cap. With WVO your going to get less MPG's then with regular diesel. What your getting now is about right for B100 or WVO. Also say good buy to your injection pump... they don't like WVO or B100.... they take a dump on regular diesel also. Being 20+ years old there the weak point in the engine/fuel system.
Have a nice day.
and do some push ups.. its sergeant not sargent.
Westy.

Last edited:

91W350

The M1009 I just picked up in Salt Lake City ran around 22 mpg for the 1016 miles trip home. Running around the backroads and town since then, it just broke 20 mpg. My other M1009 runs around 17, now I need to figure out why. My M1008 actually is better on fuel than my first M1009. Glen

TyJustice

My gut tells me that most, but not all, of the IP's would fail original OEM settings. Either do to military mech's or us civi's trying to get just a little more out of the 6.2.

Of the two M1009's I purchased, both had around the same mileage and the power difference between them was noticeable. Turned up the IP and both of them feel about the same now.

I also lost on average 1 to 2 mpg, but it did help and I think it was worth it

91W350

My old M1008 would break 20 if you stayed under 50 mph, the one I have now will not do it. My newest M1009 runs over 20 fairly easily, even pulling the grades through the Rockies. I ran it 65 or close to it all the way home. Slow acceleration rates, easy on the fuel pedal and patience. I let off the throttle as much as it took to stay in 3rd gear coming out of Salt Lake City. My other M1009 will not do it. I have heard of guys getting over 25 in a M1009, I have not personally seen that, yet.

91W350

Be sure to share the results! I am anxious to see how this M1009 will do on straight #2 diesel fuel. We are still getting premium or winter blended fuels here in Kansas. Normally they do a little better on #2 fuel.

aebiv

From what I've seen here in Cali, #2 certainly feels better when you stick your foot into her, but maybe only a .5-1mpg change in economy. The best increase I've had is from using RedLine's diesel additive. That is what took my average of 14.7mpg for my daily commutes, up to the 15.6 I have now.

I've certainly been contemplating going to a cold air intake setup, methanol injection, and possibly a propane assist system as well... Nothing extreme mind you, just small tweaks to see what the 6.2 can live up to before I find a good turbo 6.5 block :)

I'll of course share the results!

stump

To get more fuel milage give it more air. Use the neck of another air cleaner and cut a hole in the one your running . You can also ad a hose to get fresh cool air for more fuel savings. A turbo will help but only untill the head gaskets let go.

SQUIDLO

As far as the turbo goes, Banks "Sidewinder" is the only turbo I have found available for the 6.2, bit pricey around $ 2000.00, supposed to increase mpg at least 20 %, 60 + hp increase don't remember the torque, go to their website bankspower.com good luck oh by the way I'm getting right around 18-20 as long as I run 75 or less

kipman

I have put 20,000 on my M1009 in one year, I was able to get 20-22 on freeway at 65, one time got 28.4 on a 200 mile trip, empty, staying at 55. The IP started to go south, went down to 15 mpg, new pump and injectors, much better.

justinwregier

Had about 17-18 average on my M1009 for as long as Ive had it...
70 mph on the freeway but typically surface roads

used turbos for $400? I'll take one too:p

markinnh

65?...when I go 55 its taching like a mad machine...max speed in the manual is 55...is 55 truly tached outor will it do more? My truck has 8900 miles want to get past the break in before i tach it out too much...no?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks