• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Gauge Not Working

18operator

On my truck it was the ground on the sending unit inside the tank. I removed the S.U. from the tank, turning the S.U. upside down, there is a screw that holds the plug to the base of the unit. I removed the screw, which separates the plug from the base from the S.U. itself. Between the unit and the base was all rusty. I cleaned the surfaces up and put every thing back together. And now I have a working fuel gauge.
F.Y.I. I did clean the grounds on the outside of the tank before resorting to this procedure.

dawico

I was reading through here to try and fix my fuel gauge. Seems like it is usually something simple.

My gauge read empty but did move from bottomed out to there when I turned the battery switch on. Jiggled all the wires at the gauge and the sending unit. Nothing happened and all seemed tight.

Short story short, the float wasn't connected to the sending unit. I pulled the filler tube off and saw it floating in the tank. Fished it out (it still had the wire rod on it) and put it all back together.

Good as new and an easy fix. I am guessing someone replaced the sending unit (had no paint on it) and dropped the float in the tank on accident and left it.

Thanks SS for getting me that far.

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine has worked since I got it last October. Then one day while driving down the road it started going crazy from full to empty. Now it's stuck right below half, driving or stopped. All other gauges work in dash. Guess it's time to get underneath and check out the ground then sending unit. Thanks

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

The fuel gauge in my Deuce mostly works,...

It has never read full, when the tank is full the gauge will show 3/4 of a tank and when empty it will show around 1/4 .

Aussie.

ckwatson

Okay - this is a 1961 Swiss S404.1 fuel gauge question. Posting new question here because I can't find this anywhere else.

Installed a sending unit in my 1961 Swiss Unimog S404.1. Then trying to add gauge to instrument panel. How is the gauge wired?

Three tabs on gauge: + - & unmarked (center). I think the Center goes to the wire from the sender. + seems to indicate power when key is turned, and - would be ground. Without power I got ohms reading connecting ground to sender. When power applied, nothing. No longer reading anything on ohm meter and gauge never even twitches.

What am I doing wrong? And now no longer getting a reading between the single connector on the sender and ground at the tank - I hope I haven't blown the sender. Very frustrating. Can anybody help?

Chris Watson

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks