• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Leak

panshark

for duece owners, just wanted to take a quick survey of where anyone's found a fuel leak at, and the steps they took to remedy it.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Since you posted this in the deuce section, the fuel line under the frame to the Ip. The IP itself, and some injector lines. Pulled the offending parts apart and fixed/replaced what was bad.

steelandcanvas

The fuel line coming from the primary filter to the secondary/final filter often crosses with the line coming out of the final filter going to the injection pump. Where these two lines cross, will often rub a hole in one or the other. I cut the line where the hole was and installed a compression coupling, problem fixed. I now carry a few compression couplings in the tool bag on the Deuce.

x-ray

I found a small leak on the line from the Primary filter to the IP - I just noticed a tiny drip on the driveway one day while it was parked and running. It didn't have any symptoms or difficulty starting.

I simply replaced the copper line that was there. While copper probably isn't the best fuel line material I used it as it was what was there originally and available quickly. First gently bend your copper to match the original shape

You can buy the tubing and fittings at Lowes or other hardware store. NOTE - You have to "flare" the tubing. I borrowed a friends tubing flare kit, you can get a tubing flare kit at Harbor Freight for less than $15. Practice flaring on the on a section of old tubing first to get the "hang of it".

Be sure to "gently" bend your copper to match the original shape of the line that comes off - rather than trying to bend it while its mounted - copper will stress harden/crack/ kink if not gentle with it.

Not too bad to do at all.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel return line at the injector. Because I know that I installed fittings with inserts, I could just tighten 1/2 turn and the leak stopped.

dittle

Secondary FF's to the IP was rubbing through against the FF canisters but not leaking yet. Replaced that line and using a zip tie held the fuel line away from the canisters. Neighbors truck actually rubbed through at this location while driving down the interstate.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
have you ever seen a fuel fire on a deuce?? all the lines that are not copper are nylon, which gets hard with age. age like 40 years. all the lines are easily replaced with truck air brake line available at most parts stores. it is the same standard size and is very wear resistant. you will need 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" to replace it all the way from the tank to the engine and back to the tank. use plastic ferrels and brass inserts available at any home depot. oh, back to the question. no i have never had a fuel leak.

tom

Josh

Every time I found a leak on my truck I was out and about, Swung by an auto parts store and bought some rubber fuel hose and a few worm clamps. Cut the broken section out and slide the rubber hose about 1in on either side and clamp down. Have done it 3 times so far with no ill effects as far as I can tell.

mactiredearg

I had a leak between the accelerator and secondary filter, the hoses had rubbed like steelandcanvas mentioned. After repeatedly explaining to my local Napa (car, not truck) that there was no way in **** the line was metric I ended up using some 3/8 steel brake line I had around. Worked perfectly.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just replaced the line from the primary fuel filter to the IP on my 1962 M35A2.

The part that went bad was the rubber line closest to the IP.
I changed my copper line from the primary filter to the rubber hose on the IP also. I thought about replacing that hose also just because it looks a little wet around the hose. Was your hose in the IP leaking? How hard of a job is that to do? Where did you get the hose? it seems like a hydraulic shop could make a new hose as it seems like standard use fittings.

Troll1216

If we are talking about the same hose... Find the primary fuel filter under the front passenger side frame. Follow the copper line as it crosses under the radiator to the driver side. Just before this copper fuel line goes into the IP it is changed over to a rubber hose. This allows some flex and vibration resistance. I replaced this rubber section.

I had a small drip from the hose so I began to check the fittings. When I did so the cracked rubber gave way and I got a good pinprick flow from the side of the hose. Replacing the hose was easy. The fittings were good, the hose gave out. As other members know I'm mechanically inclined but far from a mechanic, I'm learning. This was an easy task. SAVE YOUR FITTINGS the one that joins the copper to the rubber hoses might be out of manufacture. I had a hydro hose shop reuse the old fittings, worked like a charm...:beer:

The problem was I had a FULL tank of fuel and could not stop the darn thing from syphoning.:shock: I then had an oli filter loosen and the primary fuel filter loosen while the motor was reprimed and started for the first time....:cry:

I think I have all the leaks stopped. (yea right......):cookoo:

Flyingvan911

I had a leaky fuel heater nozzle. If fuel on the exhaust side of the turbo doesn't ignite then I thing most other leaks are not too much of a fire hazard. Don't get me wrong, any fuel leak has the potential, but diesel is less volitile and not readily ignited in a deuce engine compartment.

wb1895

Fuel leak!?!?!?!?!? Just the other day I noticed a constant drip coming from the line coming out of the IP to the manifold heater. I found that it is impossible to get a wrench in that tight spot. I had to remove the PTO shaft just to get a wrench in there!!!!

Also keep check on all of the fuel line fittings, I have found more than one loose due to vibration.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks