• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel milage w 465-1d M35A2 W/W

saddamsnightmare

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Fuel milage w 465-1d M35A2 W/W

February 27th, 2008.

I can SAFELY SAY that my M35A2 "Saddam's Nightmare", 1971 Kaiser Jeep Wo/W Normally Aspirated LDS465 IS GETTING BETTER MILEAGE THEN THE CIVILLIAN H-1 and H2 HUMMERS WITH GASOLINE ENGINES, Having said that, she's working about 8-9 in town dragging from light to light (that's going about 25/30MPH in 30-40MPH traffic areas) to make them as greens, and about 10/11 on the road at 45 MPH. She's about 22,000 miles from her last overhaul in 1989/90, and the 9:00 NDTS are pretty mismatched (60% to 90+% tread left). You really gotta feel sorry for the H1 & H-2 owners, their vehicles are so incompetent to do any work compared to a duece. Just my 2cents worth.

Sincerely,
Kyle F. McGrogan
1963 Mercedes Benz S404.114 Unmog, Swiss
1971 Kaiser Jeep Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert Storm Deuce.

rmgill

9.5 mpg a year and a half coming back from PA to Ga. All up weight with the trailer was 26,000 lbs. So, I figure I'm doing pretty good. I need to see what singles has done. I can run slightly higher speeds OR run at 55 and not be quite so much on the redline and I expect that'll help the long distance MPG a great deal. I'm hoping it goes up to 11. :-D

SasquatchSanta

If you don't spin 'em over 2200 your fuel efficiency will go up.

I got as high as 12.25 MPG with my LDT-D bobbed deuce --- empty, spin out front hubs, 46" rubber and no fan.

I've not got enough miles on the new LDS-1A to do a meaningful mileage test. With disciplin (it's hard to resist putting your foot in the pump with the LDS) I think the new engine will do just as good as the LDT fuel wise simply because you don't have to put you foot on it to get it to go.

It will be interesting to see how the .69 "Long Legged" ovedrive gearing will effect fuel usage. With my 395X85R 20s the .69 gearing will yeild 56 MPH at 2,000 RPM which is perfect from a torque curve and fuel efficiency standpoint.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

If you want to experiment with the milage with and without lockout hubs, simply remove the splined hubs and drive without, using a drilled (to support the shaft) piece of plywood in its place.
Freeing up the rear axles is more important to improve the mpg in my experience and it also reduces the front tire "scrub".

pa.rich

I had a '73, a nother '73 and a new '76 Ford with the 360 c.i. engines full or empty they never did better than 8 mpg. So I figure if you get 8 mpg with a duece your doing well! Now I have a Chevy pickup with a 350 engine and I can get 12-14 mpg , better on interstates. Needless to say, I am a Chevy man now. Had enough of Ford's service balony and parts hassle.I maintain a small fleet at work and the ford is trouble, the 87 chevy just keeps on going, cant kill it.By the way , what will the 1970 Kaiser jeep five tonner do fo mpg?

pa.rich

Also I have a Ford Explorer which I wish I hadn't bought. Nice car, but the electrical stuff on it is always acting up. My chevy has 130K on it and the only thing I ever did to it was a power window switch. Much better ride and more legroom-m I am large and 6'2". I will take a Chevy any day over anything else and I have had over 33 vehicles in the 38 years I have been driving. Sorry I am on a side track ! Let me know what the five ton will do with the C turbo. Is that the same engine as the M35A's? As you can tell I dont know my truck. Guess I better put the books closer to my recliner! :lol:

joec

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Fuel milage w 465-1d M35A2 W/W

pa.rich said:
I had a '73, a nother '73 and a new '76 Ford with the 360 c.i. engines full or empty they never did better than 8 mpg. So I figure if you get 8 mpg with a duece your doing well! Now I have a Chevy pickup with a 350 engine and I can get 12-14 mpg , better on interstates. Needless to say, I am a Chevy man now. Had enough of Ford's service balony and parts hassle.I maintain a small fleet at work and the ford is trouble, the 87 chevy just keeps on going, cant kill it.By the way , what will the 1970 Kaiser jeep five tonner do fo mpg?
You can't kill a Ford either you get what you pay for..but that is another debate.

rdixiemiller

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Fuel milage w 465-1d M35A2 W/W

My bro in law has a Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 with the V-10 and automatic. He gets 7mpg, loaded or empty. He gave me a hard time when I got my deuce, until he found out that I was getting 10mpg. Really made him mad when I did that running 1/2 regular unleaded and 1/2 used 10w40 motor oil! I was getting the equivalent of 20mpg based on what I was buying for fuel!

ygmir

the only long trip and mileage check I did, m35a2, was 600 miles, Idaho to northern CA, after I bought the truck.
12mpg, but, runnin' highway all the way.......not over 60 mph, not many stops. And, that was a few years ago......I think the diesel now doesn't burn as effecient or something, all my diesels get lower mileage.

joec

Yes going to 500ppm in sulfur to 15 ppm everyone has dropped milage. I lost 1 1/2 mpg with the new fuel. I put cetane boost in when i can.

oldshep

I get about 12+ mpg with my bobbed duece, 15.5 w/ my 04 f-150 w/the 4.6, dads f-250 gas gets 13mpg, our 78 250 4x4 gets bout 8.haha

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

OK I know this has been talked about ad nauseum but if I am going to put hubs on and not get better milage why would I? I know the basic steering issues and wear and tear on the driveline but I was hoping that a milage boost would be in the works as well. If I put them on the front and one in the forward rear axle it should drive pretty nice I just have to figure what that will cost for the parts.

I have gotten between 12-14 MPG on my duece but it is pretty fresh and I do not go over 55.

joec

I hear that David. Nothing some od paint can better the appearence.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks