• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel nozzle leak

snoplay

Are the manifold heater fuel nozzles rebuildable I could not find a break down of them I seem to have a leak at the rear snap ring it looks like, I just noticed it. If not where are they available through???
:(

snoplay

Well for now, I put a plug & hose clamp on it until I can locate one, does not seem to have pressure on it but it was slow drip on to turbo housing, at least its back on the road!! :D

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The nozzle can be taken apart , cleaned and re-assembled.
The pressure in the feed line (the skinny line) is boosted to about 90 psi by the "flame heater pump" when turned on, otherwise the pressure is about 1/2 that, coming from the injector pump. The return line pressure is much less. It should not leak into the manifold or to the outside at any time.

NorthPatrol

rjag623 said:
I have the same problem, anyone know where I can buy a new flame heater nozzle?
The drip is an easy fix. There are 2 o-rings that need replaced. When they get old and hard the pressure from the injector return line is enought to make it drip. One of the other members fixed his and offered to do mine. He said that it takes about 10 minutes once the nozzle is off of the truck. I am going to take pics of the procedure if anyone is interested.

mcmullag

manifold heater O-rings replacement

North Patrol or anyone,
If you know the size of the o-rings for that manifold heater, please let me know.
Mine is leaking a lot onto the turbo and when I do the fix, I want to get it right the first time.
Thanks for any help,
glen m.

rjag623

RE: manifold heater O-rings replacement

I took the nozzle off today, it was a bear to take down to visualize the o-ring. I only see one O ring on the cover held in place by the snap ring. Will look for a new o-ring at the hardware store tomorrow. I will post size if I can find the correct one.

Ron

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial

Mine has been leaking fuel onto the turbo so I replaced the 2 o- rings inside and took a pic of the innards. Pretty easy job, but I have'nt put it back on so I dont know if the leak is fixed. I used some o-rings from a universal kit that I have and have my doubts about having used the right size.

Attachments

Somemedic

This nozzle is found on 35's without the winterization kits, correct? This little dude appears to be leaking on my truck as well but stops after the fuel or motor gets warm. Would love to hear who carries the right size o-ring or that any will do...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The nozzle is pressure sensitive and should remain OFF for fuel pressures below about 60 psi, which normally exists on the fuel feed line from the IP. The flame heater pump produces 90 psi, which opens this valve. Original intake heater systems used shut-off solenoids in both the feed and return lines to make sure that no fuel leaked into the manifold. For proper operation, the nozzle must produce a spray pattern of atomized fuel, I think a 60 degree wide pattern is okay.

You can test the nozzle with compressed air by varying the pressure and observe the action. Any O-ring that is not effected by the fuel should be suitable (see Devin's post above).
For more, see Military Vehicles Mag article, issue 99, Oct 2003.

Attachments

Somemedic

How in gods name do you get the end cap off after the c-clip is removed? I have nearly every other piece off and cannot get the (2nd from right, after the retainer clip) cap to come loose so I can change out that o-ring.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial

It took me a while too. I had to bang it really hard onto a hard surface to jar it loose. The problem is the o-ring gets hung up in the groove thet the c clip sets into. It has not leaked since the repair and my truck starts right up when the start button is pushed. The leak had allowed fuel to drain back down and air to get into the injector return lines after the truck had been off for a while resulting in long cranking times before it would fire.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks