• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Pressure Gauges

joshs1ofakindxj

I did some searching and got conflicting answers.

I want to install fuel gauge(s) to keep an eye on the condition of my fuel system and particularly the fuel filters because I run waste oil.

I thought I read that the pressure delivered to the injection pump was 6-8 psi, so I got a small Mr Gasket fuel gauge and plumbed it to the port where the breather is located on top of the secondary fuel filters.

The gauge was pegged, so I put on a 0-120 psi gauge and it gave me the readings I wanted I believe. I was surprised it varies with throttle. I thought I would be seeing a steady pressure from the tank pump. I'm seeing 30 psi at idle, 60 psi at normal cruise, and 80 psi when ready to shift up.

Would I find the 6-8 psi anywhere is the system?

Am I seeing the correct fuel pressure readings at the secondary filters?

Thanks!

ODdave

You definatly in the wrong spot, No way in **** that intank pump will push that much pressure. Unless somone has put the wrong one in there...

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The booster is specified to make 30-40 psi at idle and 60-80 psi at 2800. The overflow valve on the opposite side of the HH is the bleed point. The HH needs this high pressure to fill the pump chamber fast enough to make the injection cycle. Excess is dumped by the fuel control sleeve between injections.
Not having the booster will make for a very sick operating multi. They will operate fine without the tank pump....until you get air in the line, or need to refill the filters.

mikew

I've been thinking about installing a low pressure switch that will light a dash indicator when the fuel pressure gets too low (because of clogged filters).

The Fuel density Compensator has an internal regulator set at 20 psi, so anything below that will cause the FDC to richen the mixture.

With that in mind; I'll put a 20 to 25 psi switch after the final filter, there's a boss there, just drill and tap.

While researching this I couldn't find a decent fuel system diagram. I'm sure there's one in some TM, but I gave up looking!

So... I made my own, see attached:

Attachments

mikew

Floridianson,

I had a clogged final filter problem the other day due to a poor batch of WMO (contaminated with a little bio-diesel sludge).

It would idle and run ok at low speed but was too restricted to run at high loads (high flow rates). I want to know the pressure at high flow rates (higher RPMs and loads)..... and no one was willing to sit on the fender to look at the gauge when I was going down the highway!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Floridianson,

I had a clogged final filter problem the other day due to a poor batch of WMO (contaminated with a little bio-diesel sludge).

It would idle and run ok at low speed but was too restricted to run at high loads (high flow rates). I want to know the pressure at high flow rates (higher RPMs and loads)..... and no one was willing to sit on the fender to look at the gauge when I was going down the highway!
Just sit on the fender and rev it up. KISS

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Put the 1/8" NPT gauge into the test port where it belongs, see the TM, remember them?
Booster pump suction side as per design is 4-7 PSi of proper, not the pump diesel they sell now.
A and for sure do NOT put diesel engine crankcase drain oil in your fuel.
Wish I had new HH heads to sell, but I do Not.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks