• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel System Troubleshooting and final resolution (IT WAS THE SOCK)

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RESOLVED! IT WAS THE SOCK! I drove It 7mi each way to the fuel station and filled it, after cleaning the tank.

I've been driving this truck since 2017. Never a hiccup until now.

I suspect there was life in the tank. The fuel had not been sitting , but was nearly opaque green. (My understanding is that algae is red in diesel)

I'll be driving it ~60miles round trip tomorrow and adding biocide.

If anyone wants to recommend a biocide...

Now that the problem has been resolved, i see no compelling reason to alter it from stock.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do not try this... put a can of CLEAN fuel in the passenger foot well, run a hose to the mech. pump, carefully tied up so as to not get into the tire. If the truck runs good your problem is south of the pump, if not bad lift pump or injection pump. In my opinion the filter housing needs to be removed and thoroughly cleaned, "crud" accumulates in the bottom causing problems later. Removing the fuel sender and putting an eye ball in the tank might be in order if the truck runs with the "good" fuel. My 2 cents.
You told me so. If i had done this, I would not have replaced the lift pump.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had similar issues with both gas and diesel engines over the years and it almost always is the pick up sock. As the engine runs and return fuel agitates the fuel in the tank, crap from the bottom gets sucked up to the screen. Eventually enough gets on it to restrict flow to the point of stalling. When the engine stalls and the pump stops creating suction the junk falls off and you can start the process again. If you have an old fuel system vacuum gauge you can plumb it into the suction side of the lift pump and tape it to the windshield, drive the truck if vacuum drops during power loss there is a restriction before the gauge or the previously mentioned clogged vent. If the vacuum goes up there is a restriction after the lift pump. If there is no change you're looking at a high pressure side problem.
Hope this helps
Your first post, and your diagnosis was spot on.

Thanks for the input and welcome to the site!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks