• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Tank Straps

Jersey4x4

Does anyone know where to get replacement fuel tank straps for the primary and secondary fuel tanks? Prefer new but used good is fine also.

m816

I have been making my own from sheet metal. Just have your local shear some sheet metal at the width and make it plenty long. Use an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to make a slot inthe end that you have folded about two inches back from the end. I then cut the hexhead off a 5/26 x 2 1/2 bolt and weld a tee tothe top . You now have the start point no need to weld the end closed since the bolt will not pull through the slo. I put the open end on the inside. measure it up to the original or wrap it around the tank to be strapped and you hav ethe overall length. Repeat step one for the other end and you will have the same strap that was made at the factory. for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Jersey4x4

How did you attach the nylon webbing to the inside of the strap? The OE strap is rivited with spun rivets

I have been making my own from sheet metal. Just have your local shear some sheet metal at the width and make it plenty long. Use an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to make a slot inthe end that you have folded about two inches back from the end. I then cut the hexhead off a 5/26 x 2 1/2 bolt and weld a tee tothe top . You now have the start point no need to weld the end closed since the bolt will not pull through the slo. I put the open end on the inside. measure it up to the original or wrap it around the tank to be strapped and you hav ethe overall length. Repeat step one for the other end and you will have the same strap that was made at the factory. for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like m816's idea of how to make the straps. I don't know how he fastened them but I can tell you what would work well. Copper harness rivets. You wouldn't even need to use the copper washer, and they are soft enough that they wouldn't wear through the tank if they rubbed. Just drill a hole through the strap and the steel, push the rivet through, cut it off about 3/16" or so, put the rivet base on an anvil and smack it with a hammer.

You can buy them here, here, and here.

salvorone@aol.com

tank straps

i also have made fuel tank straps , made the same way but i used 1 1/2 inch galvanized metal banding straps, courtesy gov liq. needed some banding strapping material bot had to buy about 35 large rolls .

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have some used ones that i took off last week. going to clean them up and paint them never know when you might need a strap

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks