• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fun in snow...

smoke

If you want more traction. It's time for new tires michlien or goodyears. Or some will say chains or air down the tires some. Someone has also took a tread regroover and cut grooves in the ndt tread pattern. Just my two cents. It looks like you are having fun anyway. You can send some down to Pa if you want.

OttoVonMog

If you want more traction. It's time for new tires michlien or goodyears. Or some will say chains or air down the tires some. Someone has also took a tread regroover and cut grooves in the ndt tread pattern. Just my two cents. It looks like you are having fun anyway. You can send some down to Pa if you want.
The tires do need to go... but I think that will have to wait- until I get a few more goodies for the truck... Air Lockers are on the list as are super singles- 365/85R20 size tires I'm thinking. I would love to stick a CTIS system on the truck as well. That way I could have positive traction to both the front and rear axles, left and right sides and maximize my grip by changing the foot print of the tires. It would be the best solution I think.

F18hornetM

one set of chains would help a lot. You would be amazed how much difference it makes. Ive never tried them yet on ours since we havent had much snow in the last couple years. But on 2 wheel drive trucks (C8500's and F750's) they are awesome.

jdr2710

I was having similar lack of traction on mine plowing the drive the other day, luckily I had chains on the front axle otherwise I wouldn't have made it up the hill! Just for fun I tried the moderately steep hill without the front axle locked, I might as well have been in neutral.

OttoVonMog

I was having similar lack of traction on mine plowing the drive the other day, luckily I had chains on the front axle otherwise I wouldn't have made it up the hill! Just for fun I tried the moderately steep hill without the front axle locked, I might as well have been in neutral.
Chains have their uses, but if you want to really maximize the truck's traction ARB lockers are the key. Then you put the chains on and then you have a tank.

OttoVonMog

Well I just got three set pairs of chains: two dual v-bars for the rear tires and one single for the front. This truck with 3,000-4,000lbs of ballast and a full set of tire chains should be good-- but ARB's are still needed for total domination of all terrain. However, I think I will video the difference between chains and no chains on the truck.

Last edited:

Nonotagain

You need a USMC M923 or M925 truck with Detriot lockers.

ARB's require air which can be a problem if the lines freeze, and they will freeze. KISS

Forget attempting adding CTIS to your truck and just purchase an A2 series vehicle.

The truck with 14.00x20 or 395X20 tires will out pull the NDCC or NDT tires. If you don't want either of these tires, then look at 11.00x20 G177 tires.

TehTDK

one set of chains would help a lot. You would be amazed how much difference it makes. Ive never tried them yet on ours since we havent had much snow in the last couple years. But on 2 wheel drive trucks (C8500's and F750's) they are awesome.
Why is it that people/truckers only chain up on one axle. I mean I have watched shows like Highway from ****, and the truckers only chain up one axle, so their other axle just sits there spinning. I thought the plan or idea was to effectively chain up all you active or semiactive driving axles in order to increase traction.

OttoVonMog

You need a USMC M923 or M925 truck with Detriot lockers.

ARB's require air which can be a problem if the lines freeze, and they will freeze. KISS

Forget attempting adding CTIS to your truck and just purchase an A2 series vehicle.

The truck with 14.00x20 or 395X20 tires will out pull the NDCC or NDT tires. If you don't want either of these tires, then look at 11.00x20 G177 tires.

Well, I'm going to add an Air-Dryer system so the ARB's won't freeze.
I already have an A2- I'm dead set on the CTIS system-- if Ural can make it work so can I-- I'll just copy their system.
as for the tires I'm going with the MPT-81 in 365/85R20 size. I like the size and it is very good off road and on road.

I agree that the NDT tires are limited. I still want to play in deep snow so I ordered some chains online.

F18hornetM

Why is it that people/truckers only chain up on one axle. I mean I have watched shows like Highway from ****, and the truckers only chain up one axle, so their other axle just sits there spinning. I thought the plan or idea was to effectively chain up all you active or semiactive driving axles in order to increase traction.

I'm sure its best to chain up all drive axles. But with the trucks we use at work, we are on and off the plowed roads, so its easier to just install one set when you need it. If you are going to stay in the snow and not run on really good plowed pavement, putting them on all drive wheels is best. We also use single sets of chains to for easier installation. In other words only the outside tire gets the chain. Works good on ice, but maybe not as good as dual chains on deep snow. Inside tire will run up on packed snow and the outside chain wont touch. Singles are really easier to install and store. On the other hand we dont get snow here like some of you guys, only randomly.
Also, in some of those shows the one axle may not be driven, only there to carry weight.

barefootin

It took about 20min per tire on the truck with an $80 siper/groover. My next attempt will be increasing the cross link size to 0.380". Even at the 0.250" that they are at currently, they don't clog up too bad and the pattern can be seen in light mud/dirt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks