• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Functions of the eess box?

Skrilex

Banned
What does this troublesome eess box actually do? And moreover, how do we bypass it? It seems hardly worth messing with. I don’t need fancy glow plus timers and whatnot. A simple momentary button to heat them is fine by me and seems more reliable from what I’m reading.

Hummermark

Hi I was thinking the same thing did a search if any one had put a solenoid in the EEss box with a sprung switch through the side but could not find anything.
i did it with a couple of the older boxes that had the solenoids in and they have been fault lesss for ten years now.

ikoinu

Just did it. Deuce & a half momentary switch, 24v relay, extra set of factory glow plug cables (didn't want to cut into the existing ones), wiring and ring terminals. Works like a charm.
Will post thread with pics, part numbers and walk through soon.

Skrilex

Banned
So, to ask the question a different way, can we toss the box out the window if we provide another means of heating plugs? No other functions going on?

Skrilex

Banned
Another bonus with this mod is that we can hide the glow button which will essentially add security to the truck, unless it's been driven and still warm lol. Okay scratch that.

Dock Rocker

Another bonus with this mod is that we can hide the glow button which will essentially add security to the truck, unless it's been driven and still warm lol. Okay scratch that.
If you do this mod you had better hide the button. Not for security per se but to keep the glowplugs alive.

If you have someone come along and fat fingers it for 20 or 30 seconds then they have smoked your plugs and you get to start changing them again.

People aren’t really smart and kids don’t think know better. It’s a good mod, I did it on a cucv, but you have to be on the lookout for the low IQ operators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCIV

I would love a plug and play kit for this. If this box does cause as many issues as I've read then I would rather replace it with a better options.

Hummermark

The switch I fitted to the older box was to the side facing the reinforcement ribbing of the body so had to know where it was to reach it under the dash also when I left it had a battery terminal isolator.
rather then do away with the eess I was thinking if you can do away with the circuit bord that controls the glow plugs with a solenoid inside the eess box with a protruding switch through the box and leave the rest inside the eess as is.

Dock Rocker

I would love a plug and play kit for this. If this box does cause as many issues as I've read then I would rather replace it with a better options.
The new boxes really don’t have issues. The older boxes do have a pretty high failure rate. Many of those failures can be traced back to poor grounding. You can dramatically prolong the life of the older prestolite boxes by adding a grounding harness.

Action

If you do a hodden momentsry switch, you could put in a row of toggle switches that must be flipped a certain way to allow power to the momentary switch. Like in mad max fury road.

ikoinu

If you do this mod you had better hide the button. Not for security per se but to keep the glowplugs alive.

If you have someone come along and fat fingers it for 20 or 30 seconds then they have smoked your plugs and you get to start changing them again.

People aren’t really smart and kids don’t think know better. It’s a good mod, I did it on a cucv, but you have to be on the lookout for the low IQ operators.

I didn't bother hiding the button. The factory control box is much more competent at burning out the plugs than a random button pusher in my mind. Have to wonder how they ever designed something like that. It's a military vehicle, common sense dictates you design a failsafe into it.
Mine failed and runs 24 volts into the plugs 100% of the time.

Last edited:

Action

I see quite a few folks stating their plugs get 24v all the time.
Is this checked just after starting or after driving for a while? Some of the boxes provide afterglow, which could show 24v at the leads after the engine is started. right?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen one with a M37 foot starter He just pushes it with the palm of his hand and counts to ten. Simple and no extra stuff to fail. It looks like a knob and it pretty tough for a kid to push and hold.

snowtrac nome

So y’all think if I leave the box out completely that it will affect any other systems?
yes it will, you also have a starter lock out function in it and a starter relay natural start function is wired in to it. you can crank the engine off sand t terminal on the steice plug but there is no natural start function it would also start in gear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks