• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuse box que's???

Got a short somewhere

Even without the front battery grounded I'm finding a short that traces to three different wires going into my firewall. Called it quiet's for the night at that. I think it sounds like the ignition switch and will try unplugging that first. What else would it be?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the ground terminal on the passener alternator to see if it is touching the altenator bracket

Go the "No light" blues.

All day and no joy. Tested everything (that I thought of). All the fuseable links, the fuses, the 2-way switch. I've no power to the lighting portion of the fuse box. What would prevent getting power to the fuse box? I've no power at the headlight switch nor the two way toggle. The 30 amp fuse tested with continuity and looked fine. However there is no power to it. I've unwrapped and de-loomed all the harness even. Cleaned all the connections on the firewall.
Only mod's I've made of recent are to manual glow plugs and removed the STE-ICE circuits. I also removed the tach buffer and pulled the seat-belt buzzer.

check to see if there is a short with black out switch.. as i believe.. ( not 100% ) the switch kills voltage to the power going to lights... best bet would be to search over wiring diagram in -TM's trace down thw wires from black switches and go from there.....

I broke my fuse box down for a good cleaning and greasing while tracing the lighting power circuit. The red lighting power wire runs into the fuse box and ends in a spade terminal. There is nothing there for it to plug into. No loose wire on the inside between the inner halves, nothing. just an empty slot for it to plug into. What gives?

Anyone?
The wire is heavy red, goes into the right side of the fuse box as looking at it under the hood. It is on the left side as looking from inside the cab. That is the portion of my fuse box that is dead as well. Could I run power to the black out light switch and power all the lights that way? Would a bad light switch cause the fuse box to not be powered?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't get you panties in a wad. Your weekend response time is longer than during the week. Some of us DO have things to do around the house on the weekends.

YOU NEED to post a picture of what you are talking about as you desrciption could be many things. At least draw a picture.

You can't see the fuse box when you are looking under the hood. That description doesn't help.

Also there are no heavy RED wires feeding the left side of the fusebox..

And yes I have traced every single wire in the M1009 and M1008 wiring harnesses.

The CUCV Fuse Box diagram posted above has a mistake.

The 30amp "park and backup" is actually the Gas Particulate Filter Unit for the M1010.

You will find the wires in the E-23 wiring diagram in the TM 9-2320-289-34 manual

If you don't have a M1010 the RED feed wire is in place but the Orange output wire will be missing.

Last edited:
Ah, so I'm looking at the wrong Red wire! That explains a lot.
BTW, flying commando. Not really but seemed a funny response.
I've been lightless for days. Got a full load of scrap in the bed and want to deliver it.
Does power go to the service light switch, then back to the fuse box? Or through the ignition switch to the service lights switch to the light switch?
I once totally rewired a burn't k-10 and it was easier than figuring problems in this existing harness. I've read, researched and printed a lot of info, but have not found a detailed explanation of the full circuit. I did find the one where you describe the red wire coming in, the orange wire feeding the service switch, etc. I am wondering where does each wire get power from? Red lead to fuse box, orange to service switch, to headlight switch, any switches or junctions between? I want to start at the firewall and follow the full circuit until I find the problem. Really bugging me. I can usually puzzle out wiring. I can bypass all the switching and feed to the headlight wires and get results using the two relays I installed, so it is before that and after the entrance at the firewall.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The RED feed wire for the headlights comes into the headlight fuse on the left side of the plug.

On the right side of the plug there is a metal jumper the goes to the Stoplight fuse riht side and then the orange wire to the circuit.

Here is a picture

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you call the artea that you do see from under the hood with the wires running into it that plugs into the half inside the vehicle with the one 10mm bolt in the center?

That is the firewall wiring harness connector. Not the fusebox.

The other half of the firewall harness connector is behind the fusebox.

That is the post I referred to having read. I have even saved it to my files and printed a copy for in my shop.

4. Red wire to head light fuse. This is the one I had mistaken as the other red wire. Does this one feed direct to the fuse or does it go into a harness and then from somewhere make its' way back?

Circuit goes: Fuse box to B/O switch, to headlight switch, back to fuse box, to lights?

I'll double check the feed from the B/O power feed to the headlight switch and see if that solves my issue.