• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G506 Class 525 (G7133) restore

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next for this location, one very dirty shock absorber. I’ll clean it up and then check the fluid level. This past year, at an estate sale, I found a fairly large tool collection from very long ago. Ford Model A tools among other things. In one of the boxes, I found a brand new, unopened can of shock absorber oil. I opened it up to see if it was useable and the inside of the can was untainted with anything. Pic of before cleaning.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Next for this location, one very dirty shock absorber. I’ll clean it up and then check the fluid level. This past year, at an estate sale, I found a fairly large tool collection from very long ago. Ford Model A tools among other things. In one of the boxes, I found a brand new, unopened can of shock absorber oil. I opened it up to see if it was useable and the inside of the can was untainted with anything. Pic of before cleaning.
Wow! Nice find for sure. It is amazing how those shock absorbers still function all these many years ago...

The Model A tools were a really cool find too!
I have a 1929 and there is a lot of enjoyment to be had with one...

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! Nice find for sure. It is amazing how those shock absorbers still function all these many years ago...

The Model A tools were a really cool find too!
I have a 1929 and there is a lot of enjoyment to be had with one...
I thought about posting some pics for the tool junkies in the group. This past year was a bumper crop of odd, old and different tools and tool boxes.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I took apart my first shock absorber linkage. It doesn’t appear to be leaking so I’ll save a complete tear down . Cleaned it all up. Got all the attaching parts all cleaned up as well. I’m going to go ahead and and reinstall the overloads. Might make for a bumpy ride. One side done, next is the frame then the other side of the rear axle. Gonna end up changing some oil seals. Got some 80-90 wt oil leaking from the brake drum.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Today I took apart my first shock absorber linkage. It doesn’t appear to be leaking so I’ll save a complete tear down . Cleaned it all up. Got all the attaching parts all cleaned up as well. I’m going to go ahead and and reinstall the overloads. Might make for a bumpy ride. One side done, next is the frame then the other side of the rear axle. Gonna end up changing some oil seals. Got some 80-90 wt oil leaking from the brake drum.
You are doing really nice work!
Sharp looking...

WW2Chevy

One cleaned up spring stack. Since I have the overload parts and spring leaves, I’ll go ahead and use them, once I clean them up. The bolts that hold the stack together are all worn. Not too badly but why chance it. The center bolt is 7 inches long. I’m pretty sure they’re available at any parts story.
Question for any G506 Cargo owners. What is the length of the u-bolts that bolt the bed support to the frame,
The spring center bolts are not your run of the mill bolt. They are a fine thread, and the top head is round not hex. I bought a couple NOS and didn't need them. Let me figure out where I bought them.

For the bed hold downs, please see attached...

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The spring center bolts are not your run of the mill bolt. They are a fine thread, and the top head is round not hex. I bought a couple NOS and didn't need them. Let me figure out where I bought them.

For the bed hold downs, please see attached...
Many thanks! My spring bolts are all slightly bent. Not too sure if I’d trust them on a cross country.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been down with a case of the creeping awfuls. Haven’t been able to get out to the shop. Hope this goes away quick…
Progress, got the driver’s side rear frame all cleaned up and primered.
Next will be primering the various pieces parts and reassemble them on the truck. I’m thinking on waiting to paint everything green after installation.
Pics:

Attachments

WW2Chevy

Been down with a case of the creeping awfuls. Haven’t been able to get out to the shop. Hope this goes away quick…
Progress, got the driver’s side rear frame all cleaned up and primered.
Next will be primering the various pieces parts and reassemble them on the truck. I’m thinking on waiting to paint everything green after installation.
Pics:
A little heat, a 3 ft long pipe wrench and a cheater pipe will straighten that cross-member right out!

WW2Chevy

How hot do you think it needs to go? I’ve got a propane torch and a oxy fuel welder. Not sure which I should use.
Its a lot of steel to heat up. My choice would be the oxy-acetylene with a rosebud tip, but the propane will work if you're patient. I've also heard of using a bottle jack instead of the pipe wrench. The challenge is to straighten the top flange without bending the bottom flange.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its a lot of steel to heat up. My choice would be the oxy-acetylene with a rosebud tip, but the propane will work if you're patient. I've also heard of using a bottle jack instead of the pipe wrench. The challenge is to straighten the top flange without bending the bottom flange.
Sounds good, thank you for the info. My son is the welder, I’ll ask him to handle the heating up part. Definitely do not want to bend more metal than I am trying to fix.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to wave the white flag and bought a hydraulic ram kit from HF. As some may know, both my wrists are fused. They can not take much beating before pain gets too much to play/work in the shop. Now, fewer chances for pain inducing hammer blows. I’ll post pics one I get back to work on it.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to wave the white flag and bought a hydraulic ram kit from HF. As some may know, both my wrists are fused. They can not take much beating before pain gets too much to play/work in the shop. Now, fewer chances for pain inducing hammer blows. I’ll post pics one I get back to work on it.
How does that work? Pain sucks. You probably missed out on the bionic man series where your wrists are platinum fused wrench twisting machines eh?

I have a foot with metal in it. Metatarsal stuff....... that's a cool name...metatarsal..... Anyway, we tend to migrate away from things that cause us pain.....so why do you still do it? ...lol. I know......mind over going til' it's done matters. Pain management sucks. Seeing that corner of the round cab with paint....on the corner of the round cab where you know you want paint on the corner, will only be done when there's paint on it. ......and it will get done. When it's right.

My tarsal metatarsal fuse has a pile of more trucks to finish but it's going to tell me when it's the right time to finish. Until then it's Cabernet Sauvignon, vina Chocalan gran reserva Origen from Chile. Enjoying the pain.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How does that work? Pain sucks. You probably missed out on the bionic man series where your wrists are platinum fused wrench twisting machines eh?

I have a foot with metal in it. Metatarsal stuff....... that's a cool name...metatarsal..... Anyway, we tend to migrate away from things that cause us pain.....so why do you still do it? ...lol. I know......mind over going til' it's done matters. Pain management sucks. Seeing that corner of the round cab with paint....on the corner of the round cab where you know you want paint on the corner, will only be done when there's paint on it. ......and it will get done. When it's right.

My tarsal metatarsal fuse has a pile of more trucks to finish but it's going to tell me when it's the right time to finish. Until then it's Cabernet Sauvignon, vina Chocalan gran reserva Origen from Chile. Enjoying the pain.
I spent a few years feeling sorry for myself. Retired from the AF with a total of 26 years. I was in and out of the hospital for 3 or 4 years. No combat time, just a lot of hard work wore me out. And I FUBAR’ed both wrists. They’re both fused now. Got a real good job, after many of the surgeries finally seemed to be subsiding. 22 glorious months of great pay, full benefits and doing what I loved to do. After 22 months though, I had to resign. Just couldn’t keep up. Then went for a couple-three more surgeries. All the while, the mean green machines gave me a focus and something to do. Some of the stuff is a royal pain but I get inventive. How can I fix this doohickey if I can’t reach it? Adapt, improvise and overcome. Make a plan, implement the plan, then throw it away cause it don’t work. A lot of times, it’s just do it.

sorry got a bit long winded…

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a pintle hook assembly off of eBay. Took it apart, sandblasted all the years of accumulated hack off of it. Started putting it back together. I hope to primer it in the next couple day. After that, continue with the right rear spring and shock assemblies. I’m still missing one of the sleeves, Item F in the last picture. Pics:

Attachments

WW2Chevy

I just checked my truck, and found that I do have two sleeves as indicated. I only remembered one...
Could you fabricate one with a short length of pipe and a 1/2" or 5/8" thick steel "donut"??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks