• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G506 Class 525 (G7133) restore

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got some work done over the past few days. Both rear spring stacks have been mostly cleaned up. I’m not going to get too ambitious getting them all polished up. Cleaned off the oil, grease and rust. Got one of them partially primered. Hoping to get out today and finish primering all the rear end parts.

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got to shop twice this week. Both rear leaf spring stacks are now installed. Getting the rear axle repaired currently in progress. Decided to purge the brake line attached to the axle. Glad I did! The PO had problems with the brakes and took it to a shop. Supposedly, a bunch of work got done. Not really pleased with their work.both lines along the axle were badly contaminated.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got to shop twice this week. Both rear leaf spring stacks are now installed. Getting the rear axle repaired currently in progress. Decided to purge the brake line attached to the axle. Glad I did! The PO had problems with the brakes and took it to a shop. Supposedly, a bunch of work got done. Not really pleased with their work.both lines along the axle were badly contaminated.
We stepped out into the bush yesterday when temps finally broke the freezing point. It sure feels good to touch that steel again. Then the moon started rolling up the East horizon and I knew why I had the urge to get at it. Gravity.

What is the Master Cylinder set up like on that old girl? Can you get at it with a power bleeder? After the donation deuce gets finished I'm on the hunt for a round cab, single axle just like yours.

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We stepped out into the bush yesterday when temps finally broke the freezing point. It sure feels good to touch that steel again. Then the moon started rolling up the East horizon and I knew why I had the urge to get at it. Gravity.

What is the Master Cylinder set up like on that old girl? Can you get at it with a power bleeder? After the donation deuce gets finished I'm on the hunt for a round cab, single axle just like yours.
The master cylinder is set up like most cars and trucks. There’s the master cylinder, a power booster and the four wheel cylinders. I’ve got a power bleeder, actually two of them. One for Dot 3 and one for Dot 5. I think Dot 3 was used so that’s what I’m going to service the entire brake system and clear out a bunch of crap that built up over the past 70 years.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been busy. Yard sale season is starting and already found some good deals. Also got quite a bit done to the G506. Everything aft of the cab has been cleaned, fixed as necessary and primered. Got the gas tank mounts installed, the shocks installed and all the springs cleaned, primered and reinstalled. I’m going to hold off installing the fuel tank for now. The cab is the next big job. The two front cab bolts are removed. The aft bolt will have to wait till my next opportunity to work on the truck. Still need to find the two aft bed mounts. If none are available, might be able to make them from scrap metal. Pics below, the one with yellow circles show the aft bed mounts:

Attachments

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had something go very right for a change. I’ve been stink eyeing the pitman arm for a long time. Didn’t have the correct tool nor could I make a tool that would do the job. Last summer I bought a bunch of tools at an estate sale. Within the collection was an odd “U” shaped tool. I knew it was some type of puller but… I had to get the steering column removed so I can tip the cab back for repairs. Dug through the chest that had the tools and rediscovered the puller. I installed it on the pitman arm. I grabbed a 3/4 in wrench and tried to crank on it. No-go. Didn’t budge. I also recently purchased a 20 volt impact wrench from a local discount tool store. Put everything in place and started up the impact wrench. Busted everything loose and it popped like a balloon attacked by a bunch of cats. Got the column out of the way and started on the cab. Got all the bolts disconnected and I tried to tilt the cab back. No-go, figured out I needed to remove the grounding straps. Disconnected the straps and slowly worked on raising the cab. Pic:

Attachments

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Had something go very right for a change. I’ve been stink eyeing the pitman arm for a long time. Didn’t have the correct tool nor could I make a tool that would do the job. Last summer I bought a bunch of tools at an estate sale. Within the collection was an odd “U” shaped tool. I knew it was some type of puller but… I had to get the steering column removed so I can tip the cab back for repairs. Dug through the chest that had the tools and rediscovered the puller. I installed it on the pitman arm. I grabbed a 3/4 in wrench and tried to crank on it. No-go. Didn’t budge. I also recently pitched a 20 volt impact wrench from a local discount tool store. Put everything in place and started up the impact wrench. Busted everything loose and it popped like a balloon attacked by a bunch of cats. Got the column out of the way and started on the cab. Got all the bolts disconnected and I tried to tilt the cab back. No-go, figured out I needed to remove the grounding straps. Disconnected the straps and slowly worked on raising the cab. Pic:
Neat!!!! Sometimes just the right tool moves a project ahead in a big way! Glad you were in the right place at the right time - and remembered seeing that puller.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the cab tipped back. It was a pain, literally. I bonked me head again 🤕. It’s going to be a chore getting it cleaned up. One small area is going to need some additional attention to detail. Somehow the rear corner panel got crunched before I got it. Pics:

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started cleanup under the cab. What a mess. Some surface rust, that doesn’t appear to difficult to repair. Dirt, mud (70 year old dirt!) grease, oil and unidentifiable coatings on everything. Removed all the connection links for cleanup. No pictures. I heard we ain’t allowed to post dirty pictures 😝

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks