• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many deuces can you park in front of a pink house?

P7050200.jpg

Found a source in Illinois for the Redhorse Performance fuel filters. I suggested an $8.00 clear filter but was reminded that it's a brand new fuel tank and motor so nothing but the best for Goat. http://www.redhorseperformance.com/pages/contact-rhp

The fuel tank straps came on a roll of Industrial Fuel Tank Rubber from a heavy truck supplier.....these guys. http://www.fgiltd.com/
I'm sure any heavy truck supplier would carry something similar and 10' is not quite enough. The Goat boys are taking pictures of progress and recording suppliers so once they're closer to the finish line we'll either post the "Item Info" here or fire up a Goat thread.

There's more cool Goat stuff going on. If you leave the roof in the Alberta acid rain,...

P6300157.jpg

......it turns out like this.

P7050201.jpg

I'm just kidding.....we don't have acid rain, it's the aluminum in the rain that does it......that and lacquer thinner. They tried gasoline for a while and later found that thinner broke the steel to glue bond, then a pressure/steam washer was used to find the original acrylic enamel paint. Now for the block and hammer man to get at it.

P7050203.jpg

Goose tried out the newly manufactured muffler all day and didn't want to go home. Officially, we were testing all afternoon! We went to work, hit the fields(city in background), fit an American WW11 hanger in the back, mounted a Voo-doo, saw a green train, a missile, , picked up a cheque....and passed the test!

P7050222.jpgP7050223.jpgP7050215.jpgP7050212.jpgP7050217.jpg

Last edited:

Juskatla

Those are great pictures. Is the CN locomotive part of an excursion train or a display? The hartop will take some work, like most of them they were used to stand on when halted anywhere for more than 15 or 20 minutes and the cam nets had to come out. Some were worse than others, depending on who they were deployed with and how hard they were used. Service Corps had the nicest trucks and the means to look after them... Yours looks great. I wish I had room for one that I have seen advertised but I have more projects than I have life left.... Thanks for the great stories and pictures.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the kind words. I'm going to follow that up for you. It looks like the same train on this page out of the Alberta Rail Museum but I'll ask my CN contact. http://www.albertarailwaymuseum.com/special-interest-equipment.html

I might get a chance to beat a few soldier's feet out of that roof. The boys doing the work on Goat are more than capable of fixing any problems I beat into the roof so I'm hoping for practice time with some metal mashing minds behind me. Fun stuff!

P7060230.jpgP7060231.jpgP7060232.jpgP7060234.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Restoration

Out of a scene from Close Encounters of the Third Kind, the glowing ambiance of an active garage is pushing Goat hard to the finish line.

20160712_220609.jpg

We'll get some before and after shots up in the next month but the pieces are coming together. This week was the 50 hour hood. They worked the dents out, applied paint, block sanded to find the low spots, sanded, paint and repeat. The whole family got into this one and this hood had lady hands all over it.

20160712_220621.jpg

The NOS grill sits as a smile on the front of Goat.

P5080276.jpg

.......and now for parts. Those rubber stud headlight holders can be purchased from John Deere. Here are the part numbers.

20160711_133538.jpg20160711_133618.jpg

I used the G749 Parts Cross-over doc to purchase the last 2 valve cover gaskets from NAPA. They will ask the manufacturer for more once the demand is there so order early. The bottom gasket is from NAPA and it's a little thicker than the one brought up north from Memphis Equipment. Cost from NAPA $26.00

20160711_123443.jpg20160711_132401.jpg

The Goat boys found a rubber supplier to cut some rubber strips for the area between the back of the hood and the top of the cowling. They had 3 strips cut, one each for Goat, Goose and Gizmo as well as 3 sets of mud-flaps for $50.00.

20160711_133423.jpg

Some alternative ideas rolled out of Devils Tower for the battery box. This product can be painted so it could be used anywhere the truck takes abuse.

20160712_221111.jpg

The roof is on the block and the new LED lights in the garage show the gloss of that original paint that hides behind the old interior insulation. GO GOAT TEAM.

20160712_221338.jpg20160712_221832.jpg

USMC 00-08

I will get those headlight studs added to the list!

Was the rubber place local that made the strips and mudflaps? I need a set of those too.

What seals are they using to put back on that hardtop in place of the old ones? I will also need to replace mine soon.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Preservation, restoration and maintenance

I will get those headlight studs added to the list!

Was the rubber place local that made the strips and mudflaps? I need a set of those too.

What seals are they using to put back on that hardtop in place of the old ones? I will also need to replace mine soon.
We're pleading the 5th on the hard-top still. They'll do a test fit and see what might work best. It still needs a few more beatings until the moral improves.

P7131287.jpg

The rubber came from a local supplier so we can check that business card to see if there are any southern affiliates. I found some groovy looking "Chevrolet" flaps so there are a few options. The rubber that the Goat guys found is just plain black so there are some options out there. Some GMC flaps would sure get folks to stop calling it a big jeep.

They just got the window-frame together and used this Canadian product that should last a few decades. It sits under the frame and squeezed down to about 1/2".

P7131286.jpgP7131288.jpgP7131289.jpg

Goose finally got some attention. Got the valves set, 0.20 exhaust, 0.12 intake, plugs cleaned and re-gapped to 0.30. Last time I used black gasket maker on the valve cover and the Goat boys suggested using lacquer thinner to soften it up before removal. Sweet trick to break the bond and it made the old goop scrape off nice and easy. The thinner also works real nice to clean the top of the head before running an 1/8" bead of high temp red sealant on it.

P7131291.jpg

Read the part of the TM where it suggests to lay the cork gasket on the head then drop the valve cover on. Tried to stick it on the valve cover last time and it's much easier following the TM. That spot on the drivers side where the by-pass tube runs is a tough spot to clean or fit the cover on...but we got er'. Used high temp red gasket maker on the cover so we should be leak free until next ticker time.

P7131298.jpgP7131299.jpg

Have a great neighbour who did electrical for CN that threw me some Bowman terminal protector. Cleaned up one bad terminal with baking soda then lay the spray and permatex to the connections.

P7131296.jpgP7131294.jpgP7131295.jpg

Section8

Lots of good useful tidbits.
The headlight studs are a big bonus to me! I remember having older vehicles with those style studs and they would rust out or the heads strip and finding replacements was becoming harder and harder as the new vehicles with sealed lens style evolved.
Just spit balling here...
Instead of searching for a source to make rubber strips for the hood/cowl a fella could just ask a local mechanic shop for a garbage serpentine belt, cut it to make one long strip, apply grove side up to sype water down the sides and call it good as new.
A trick I planned to use on mine.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cold Lake Airshow Crash

We all had a great loss today with the crash of Calgary's T-28 Trojan and the death of Bruce Evans. The Trojan was at the Cold Lake airshow this weekend and crashed at 1400hrs when the Trojan failed to pull out of a maneuver. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...plane-crashes-at-cold-lake-air-show-1.3683081

It was just this spring we visited friends in Cold Lake and rescued an M135. One of our friends spoke with Bruce yesterday and we all have heavy hearts with the loss of one of the greats. Our thoughts are with his family and friends as well as those who witnessed this horrific moment.

A few pics in memory of Bruce.

P7050205.jpg P7050216.jpg P5080303.jpg

Another Ahab

We all had a great loss today with the crash of Calgary's T-28 Trojan and the death of Bruce Evans. The Trojan was at the Cold Lake airshow this weekend and crashed at 1400hrs when the Trojan failed to pull out of a maneuver.
I am sorry, plowboy. That is a terrible turn of events.

Mr. Bruce Evans. Requiescat in pace.

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks so much for the kind words gentlemen. I had a moment tonight where I thought one of you already tracked me down, it was a little ironic but you guys were the first ones that came to mind when I saw this stuck in Goose.

20160718_215042.jpg

We did a little work on the 135 today, Terrh and his better half jumped in for a burger run then I stopped at a jobsite to check fluids. I only walked around the back of this house for ten minutes and the flag was stuck in the canvas when I came out. Turns out the neighbor thought it was an American Deuce and figured it should fly the flag, but for a while, I felt like every Steel Soldier was on-board. Bruce Evans was a guy that loved to take anyone for a ride in the T-28, any chance he could. Goose will be doing a lot more of that so the homeowner and I cruised the neighbourhood with the flag in place. I'll be keeping it!

We've got 2 air shows coming up, Wetaskiwin on the 20th and Whitecourt on the weekend that Bruce was going to attend. It'll be somber but I know the rest of the flyboys will be ripping up the skies just like the Trojan did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1USuyB0c-M

This shot was the B25 departing last year from the Edmonton show. The flags will fly at half mast.

20150823_095357.jpg

20160718_215102.jpg20160717_013042.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M135 Restoration Preservation for Greek Nation

Had a minute to catch up with the progress on the latest M135CDN and it gave me Goat bumps. I keep warning the boys not to 'over-restore' this beast and every so often they work around a few bumps and dents just to shut me up. The detail and the repairs back to better than original is over the top. Goat is real close to being ready to convoy out to the next airshow this coming week.

P7310480.jpg P7310481.jpg P7310482.jpg P7310485.jpgP7310487.jpg P7310474.jpg P7310473.jpgP7310471.jpg P7310470.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This 1" sound deadening foam came from Caterpillar and the Goat boys are making patterns out of construction paper to ensure a tight fit....and it shows. Using the little ladies electric knife to cut the foam idea, came from an internet search on 'how to cut foam'. They're so lucky to have the girls backing them up. The pink felt pen shows up on the black foam and is 'not' only being used because it matches the house....regardless of what they say. I'll get the Cat product # and the type of foam-safe contact cement they're using the next time I'm there. They're also digging notches out of the back of the foam so it fits over the bolts and doesn't bulge the finish look. Masterful work these boys are laying down.

P7310484.jpgP7310483.jpgP7310475.jpgP7310476.jpgP7310478.jpgP7310479.jpg

USMC 00-08

That truck looks great!!!!

Have they by chance come up with a part number for the transfer case middle axle output oil seal? I am in need of one.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck looks great!!!!

Have they by chance come up with a part number for the transfer case middle axle output oil seal? I am in need of one.
I'll follow this up tomorrow for you. Do you see it here because I can dig up the original info on it.

P6100016.jpgP6100029.jpgP6100028.jpg

That restoration is some kind of remarkable for sure. Is the truck actually shipping off to Greece?
The owner is Greek and his residence is right across the street from his parents who have lived there for the 5 decades I've been here. That's why I refer to it as the Greek Nation. I've got to post pics of Papa's grapes and all the food mama and papa Goat grow in their yard. It's a landscapers dream yard so it deserves it's own status.

Here's a before and after shot of all the bent metal on the gate and back of box on the Goat. The metal man working with Goat's owner not only did all the bodywork in metal but R&R'd the entire drive-train, brakes and just finished a complete rebuild on the winch. Mechanical skills just come easy to that man.

goat butt.jpg P7310487.jpg

I sure hope they make the upcoming airshow.

P7310491.jpg

1944mb

Nicely done

This 1" sound deadening foam came from Caterpillar and the Goat boys are making patterns out of construction paper to ensure a tight fit....and it shows. Using the little ladies electric knife to cut the foam idea, came from an internet search on 'how to cut foam'. They're so lucky to have the girls backing them up. The pink felt pen shows up on the black foam and is 'not' only being used because it matches the house....regardless of what they say. I'll get the Cat product # and the type of foam-safe contact cement they're using the next time I'm there. They're also digging notches out of the back of the foam so it fits over the bolts and doesn't bulge the finish look. Masterful work these boys are laying down.

View attachment 636607View attachment 636606View attachment 636605View attachment 636604View attachment 636603View attachment 636602

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks