• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

USMC 00-08

Last edited:

USMC 00-08

I found a number for that transfer case seal and added it to the parts list. If you come up with a different number, let me know.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It took a lot of work but the Goat team managed to pull together a 3 truck, M135 display at the Edmonton airshow this weekend. With it being the first 'break in' trip, Goose was loaded with recovery gear, tools, fire-extinguishers and we had a chase truck with Goat's master-builder as tail-gunner. Goat, Goose and Gizmo.

P8060556.jpgP8070600.jpgP8060504.jpg

Insanity could be the only word to describe how busy we were chatting up the good folks about our cold war history, the MVPA and the role the M135 played in our nuclear history.

P8070674.jpgP8060533.jpgP8060562.jpgP8060569.jpg

After the 2-day show we had a short opportunity to grab some pics of a retiring Sea-King. The 1967, 433 is heading to its retirement party tomorrow so it'll be the last time 1956 and 1967 get to hang out together. The Griffin, Sea King and two M135's share some Steel Soldier time after the show was over. MVPA membership has its privileges.

P8070690.jpgP8070681.jpgP8070686.jpg

Another Ahab

These are great pics, plowboy; thank you!

That "instant arena" trnsformer bus is something else. I've never seen anything like that.

And the Sea King is sweet, too.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of tires are you running on Gizmo? Are they military?
Catch up time....and ketchup time. Those are the Michelin man's XML 12.00 20's on ol' Gizmo. I can't say they are military but if they weren't, they should have been. He's looking for a new set or replace them with 11.00 20's if you come across any dollar exchange sales down there.

Let's get saucy now! Hauled some DC-3 props out of a Cemetery where they were originally intended for a memorial display.....20 years ago. Sitting in their original crates, in the bush for 20 years, they got MV Spotted by an eagle eyed museum man. Today we hauled them to the Alberta Aviation Museum to get them some attention. Gizmo's owner is a welder by trade so he smacked together some snappy support stands so we could sail satisfactorily.

P8160729.jpg P8190732.jpg P8190734.jpg P8200760.jpg P8200763.jpg P8200762.jpg P8200771.jpg

Off loading at their new home.

P8200774.jpgP8200773.jpg

There were some other items laying around for other potential future memorials but I sure would like to get my hands on some new bobcat chain! This stuff would look cool hanging over the bumper on on of our deuces!

P8200770.jpg

Another Ahab

There were some other items laying around for other potential future memorials but I sure would like to get my hands on some new bobcat chain! This stuff would look cool hanging over the bumper on on of our deuces!

View attachment 639822
Our battalion was stationed for a short spell once out at Cheatham Annex near Williamsburg VA.

The place is a USN depot, and a kind of equipment "pantry" for the Atlantic Fleet:

- They had literal mountains of anchor chain (and similar stuff) just sitting out there in open fields; back-up for fleet use when needed. i'm guessing it's still there. It would blow your mind.

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a call from Letsled who wanted to sneak out to the G749 farm and confirm some measurements.......and we discovered a cool little mystery.

It's not, why is the guy laying on the ground in front of Goose,

20160903_140615.jpg

....or why 3 swather's are parked instead of working,

20160907_142109.jpg

....or why the doors aren't on the barn yet,

20160907_170258.jpg

....or why we all can't have massive barns that dwarf the big track machine,

20160907_170234.jpg

....or even why this deer stopped on the side of the road tonight to let me take pics, instead of running into the side of the truck....

20160907_211725.jpg

....while we were knocking some dirt off the fender bolts on the BATUS truck, this funky bullet showed up in the lip of the step. It's got 82 and what looks like IVI stamped on the bottom. It even looks like it has some of the BATUS paint on it so it's a very cool find. The center on the bottom has a dent in it so we're thinking it has been discharged but I've never seen a shell casing, bullet, whatchamacallit that looks like this.

I know I'm in the right place to get an answer.....what did we find?

20160907_131111.jpg 20160907_131245.jpg20160907_131221.jpg

Another Ahab

Brother, that shell looks like it's still crimped (meaning the casing is still full of powder). You just want to treat it with respect until you know the whole story there.

Maybe the primer is already fired as you mention (..."center in the bottom has a dent in it..."). But that might still be a live round. You cannot be too careful ever around live ordnance. Please. Just saying. Nobody ever wants anybody hurt.

I'm not an armorer, and somebody else here likely knows a whole let better than me. But you do want to be careful. Funny things happen sometimes (but they don't always end up being "funny" is the problem, you know what I mean?).

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Brother, that shell looks like it's still crimped (meaning the casing is still full of powder). You just want to treat it with respect until you know the whole story there.

Maybe the primer is already fired as you mention (..."center in the bottom has a dent in it..."). But that might still be a live round. You cannot be too careful ever around live ordnance. Please. Just saying. Nobody ever wants anybody hurt.

I'm not an armorer, and somebody else here likely knows a whole let better than me. But you do want to be careful. Funny things happen sometimes (but they don't always end up being "funny" is the problem, you know what I mean?).
I apologize to you, plowboy, as I'm likely "preaching to the choir" to you about this kind of thing.

But, Man, that makes me nervous to see something like that. People get hurt sometimes for the darnedest reasons, and you just wish it wasn't so.

Take me with a grain of salt. :roll:

Juskatla

Its hard to tell from the picture what size the casing is. Blank for sure, and usually when the 7.62 that I was most familiar with were fired, the crimped end would open up a little, but not much. As mentioned, I'd have someone local who is familiar with these have a quick look at it to confirm it was fired. Shouldn't be too hard in a garrison city. In the day, these would be ejected and fly all over the place sometimes landing where they shouldn't or be dropped while loading. A bit of caution goes a long way. Some here may recall the army cadet training session in Quebec where a dummy grenade had the pin pulled and it proved to be live. A number of cadets died and the rest have had to live with that experience for over 40 yrs. Similar incidents have occurred in other places around the world over the years.

Another Ahab

Its hard to tell from the picture what size the casing is. Blank for sure, and usually when the 7.62 that I was most familiar with were fired, the crimped end would open up a little, but not much. As mentioned, I'd have someone local who is familiar with these have a quick look at it to confirm it was fired. Shouldn't be too hard in a garrison city. In the day, these would be ejected and fly all over the place sometimes landing where they shouldn't or be dropped while loading. A bit of caution goes a long way. Some here may recall the army cadet training session in Quebec where a dummy grenade had the pin pulled and it proved to be live. A number of cadets died and the rest have had to live with that experience for over 40 yrs. Similar incidents have occurred in other places around the world over the years.
Oh, Lord, that is a horrible story. You just can't be TOO careful. Ever.

USMC 00-08

Just don't chew on it or hit the primer with anything while you are holding it in your hand and you will be fine. There is little to no chance it will go off by itself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks