• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

Section8

The banana bus is awesome! That thing screams retro RV.
You never fail to impress with all your great history lessons and treasures brought back to life.
I recall you telling me you were looking for a particular jeep I believe. Shoot me a pm or enlighten us all again so that we may be able to hunt one down for your collection.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The banana bus is awesome! That thing screams retro RV.
You never fail to impress with all your great history lessons and treasures brought back to life.
I recall you telling me you were looking for a particular jeep I believe. Shoot me a pm or enlighten us all again so that we may be able to hunt one down for your collection.
Thanks for the kind words brother. This forum is a great way to keep the family members current on what's going on. Most of the bus info is kept on the Civil Defence thread and by the last extremely formal, Canadian Civil Defence Museum Association meeting I Chaired for the first time, this is bound to get real interesting. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?147809-Civil-Defense-Vehicles-and-Items

We were joined by a very experienced "grants" writer and were just awarded our first grant. There are a lot of formalities and a ton of paperwork but the museum adventure could turn out to be a big help in preserving more vehicles.

The jeep thang has been slid way down the list somewhat because of the concerns the jeep boys have with wheeling these smaller toys in general public. The new era of drivers just don't seem to have the situational awareness skills that the last generation had and the jeep/ iltis boys have had some close calls. The smart phone distraction has compromised the desire to pilot anything smaller than a tank around these days. After wheeling the M135 on City streets for 5 years, it feels right to keep doing that.

However, I'm looking at anything Cold War era which gives me 4 decades of possibilities. Going to go peak at these again so the M38, the M152, the M37 and the Queen Mary have got me itching to find something smaller to haul to the events that are a long way from home. We're also thinking we need a Bomarc or Nike to haul around behind the deuce so you might see on of these on a trailer one day.

P4180146.jpg

I heard that there was some logging going on around your place so if you took any pictures I'd love to see the valley again. I haven't been able to get it together to get out of town and see you kids and I need a B.C. mountain fix. Set me up man.

P4200386.jpgP4170125.jpgP4170124.jpgP4170115.jpgP4100068.jpg

Section8

I will try to take some pics this weekend and post em up.
I found this gem close by. What do you figure. Is it worth trying to rescue or continue letting it hide in a field?
Wish I could make out more on the data plates. I can't even tell if it was military or civy.

Attachments

Another Ahab

The dead have been brought back to life, and miracles have been performed here by many on bones like that.

It surely can't be any picnic. But it has been done.

The question you have to ask is:

- "Do you Believe"?!!

1944mb

I will try to take some pics this weekend and post em up.
I found this gem close by. What do you figure. Is it worth trying to rescue or continue letting it hide in a field?
Wish I could make out more on the data plates. I can't even tell if it was military or civy.
it looks to be civilian-cj2a is a best guess but could be a 3a. Check the data tag on the firewall to the left of the air cleaner as you are standing looking at the engine. That will say what the body aerial is and model
number. Fixing it is just a matter of how much money it takes. Jeeps in my opinion, always tend to be in rougher shape cause they tend to be abused. It's hard not to love a jeep. Also this jeep has a Harrison heater which when I was restoring a 2a was an add on feature which was tough to find.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gotta love reading the men's and lady's high single and triple bowling scores next to the pic of the Herc!!! Thanks for keeping us informed. That's a nice herd in the building too=)

Section8

I haven't had a chance to go back and look at that old jeep to find out it year and model number yet. In my research it seems the body style is a cja3 bit the windshield is from a cj2a?
The cja3 had a single windshield glass where the cja2 had two.
Either way it would be cool to fix up and have in tow to a rally.

1944mb

The windshield on yours is a 3A windshield, someone, somehow divided it. As you can see from these pics, the cj-2a windshield is split, with a flat panel beneath the windshield. A 3A windshield has raised panels and has a solid piece of glass

Attachments

Section8

The legend of the 50 dollar jeep is true!!!
I talked to the owner and he said if I could get it out of his property I could have it. I said that was generous of him but I wouldn't feel right and wanted to pay him something. He said 50 bucks I said done.
It is a cj3a. Just got out to look at it again.
However the wind shield is clearly divided and looks stock. Wonder if the wind shield glass was replaced with cj2a due to availability.
Looking at all the paint flakes on the body the original color was of green.
Once I can get it home I will have to start a new thread in another forum.
Sorry Plowboy. Didnt mean to hijack your thread.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeep on

I talked to the owner and he said if I could get it out of his property I could have it. I said that was generous of him but I wouldn't feel right and wanted to pay him something. He said 50 bucks I said done.
It is a cj3a. Just got out to look at it again.
However the wind shield is clearly divided and looks stock. Wonder if the wind shield glass was replaced with cj2a due to availability.
Looking at all the paint flakes on the body the original color was of green.
Once I can get it home I will have to start a new thread in another forum.
Sorry Plowboy. Didnt mean to hijack your thread.
No hijacking considered Mr. DB Cooper.......all it did was warm me up a bit. Kinda reminded me of the old jeep picture my dad had taken with his buddy at some logging camp around Williams lake. Just drop some pictures of that beautiful valley you're living in before they log the entire hillside.

What year is the CJ? Looks like a Willys manufacturing label on the dash so even though it's civilian, I bet it lived an amazing life.

Here is pops in his trucking outfit which must have been taken back in the late 40's. Kinda looks like your back yard!

P6180124.jpgP6180126.jpg

Another Ahab

Another orphan finds a foster parent; hooray!
Good job, Section8. :jumpin::beer:

Section8

Here are some pictures of the ranch.
I had to wait till it snowed a bit to cover the scars of the logging equipment going across the fields.
Thank goodness it is only select logging and not clear cut.
Hope this will tide you over for a bit, Plowboy.
Of course you are always welcome to stop in if you need a real viewing or a walk about.
Your Pop logged around Williams lake area?! Small world.
What us the truck in the first picture? A CMP? Early Dodge?

Attachments

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No hijacking considered Mr. DB Cooper.......all it did was warm me up a bit. Kinda reminded me of the old jeep picture my dad had taken with his buddy at some logging camp around Williams lake. Just drop some pictures of that beautiful valley you're living in before they log the entire hillside.

What year is the CJ? Looks like a Willys manufacturing label on the dash so even though it's civilian, I bet it lived an amazing life.

Here is pops in his trucking outfit which must have been taken back in the late 40's. Kinda looks like your back yard!

View attachment 657624View attachment 657625
Those are awesome photos Plowboy!! THANKS!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
6x6 Drift

With the nice weather.....and I mean nice...the Goose came back to land on the pond. Grabbed a bunch of video, none of great quality, but the best one got uploaded to share.

P2130138.jpg P2130136.jpg P2130121.jpg

We just wanted to grab some vid of the track and some drifting shots with the 6x6. Steel Soldier Terrh can handle the deuce as good as anyone so I chased him around the lake in the olds. My thought was to pull up along beside the deuce and get some exhaust sounds on tape. Terrh always gives up a racing line when we're in the cars but I felt a bit of a squeeze coming into the apex and out of the chute. I didn't want to scratch the paint so I ate the rhubarb. The paint on the deuce axle indicates that this IS the best truck to drive in heavy traffic.

The culprit comes back to the scene and today's damage to the deuce.

P2130142.jpgP2130143.jpg

.......and the video. Skip to the end to catch the fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4sXG5Y9_mE&feature=youtu.be

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Testing the Sprag

The farm is having a meltdown so limited ice racing pics today. Yesterday we hit the second warmest day in recorded history so the Terrh Kids took the dogs camping, overnight, February 15th......camping.....

P2160159.jpgP2160165.jpg

Decided to put the front drive shaft in today and everyone was impressed with the acceleration traction on ice with 6 wheel drive. Climbed all over the muddy farm in low range and if a guy stays off the snow, she crawls good. Heard a bit of a clankety clank during a speed run so she got parked and wants more attention.

Nice G749 sunset and a pic of a rather rare rear view mirror with the M135, M211 and M207 in the background.

20170216_174813.jpg20170216_174918.jpg20170216_175618.jpg20170216_175708.jpg20170216_175850.jpg20170216_172725.jpg

Another Ahab

The farm is having a meltdown so limited ice racing pics today. Yesterday we hit the second warmest day in recorded history so the Terrh Kids took the dogs camping, overnight, February 15th......camping.....
Off-season camping is always preferred:

- No biting insects, no poison ivy (a regional thing), no nasty heat-and-humidity, no crowds, unobstructed views, wildlife a-plenty.
What's not to like?! :naner:2cents

Terrh

It's a fun truck to drift, you should try it sometime! Gotta really work the steering wheel though with the ratio it has.

I tried to get my better half behind the wheel to try but no luck that time.. maybe next time.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Preservation

Had some Major developments at the G749 farm lately so let's start with the info that is important to all G749 Owners. We now have 4 Geese and a blurry furry.

EK000204.jpg P3230213.jpg

EXHAUST MANIFOLDS

They tend to crack. One contributing factor could be the setting on the manifold flap just below the carb on the firewall side. Here is the info from C-30-340-000/MB-000, formerly 7610-21-102-2088 also called CDN-OM9-819A, or known as the operator's manual. At one time this info was restricted so that's why we don't all know everything about the deuce.....yet!

P3230220.jpg20170323_170020.jpgP3230223.jpg

One other contributing factor can be the flexibility of the exhaust system when under stressing conditions that might flex the frame. If the flexible rubber that allows the exhaust system to easily move is hard and dry, stress can be applied directly to the exhaust manifold. Credits to BenDover from G503 for some of the info!

SOFT TOP CANVAS

This Major shows up and wants to change his M207 shop van into a troop carrier/ soft top. Seems like the G749 virus has spread to other parts of Alberta and I certainly don't have the cure. This M207 is a runner and only 77 trucks away from my M207. First one I've seen with a ladder.....and I want it!
Mine is a 30-4-54 120703002 and his ....... 12-4-54 XX2925.

P3230217.jpg M207 ST.jpg step m207.jpg

Several years ago I went on the hunt for NOS canvas and had 3 tops, 2 rear pieces sent up from Cali. Last NOS G749 canvas on the planet maybe????

I only needed one but had the resources to save the other pieces. We opened them up today so I could get one set in the Major's hands and it turns out they are in excellent condition. We talked about making up some patterns so the measurements can be available for others. Not knowing if museums will still exist when I'm ready to depart with my fleet, we'll keep these preserved for some future enthusiast.

P3230219.jpg P3230218.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks