• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a call from the brother who said he needed to drop something off at the G749 farm. I plowed at the beginning of the month, how bad could it be? He was a quarter mile racer when I was growing up and I think he got just about that far once again.

P1260704.JPGP1260705.JPG

He went in when the snow was cold so it was impressive just how far he made it. As the day warmed up, the powder turned to glue. By the time he was ready to leave......he had to call the wife for a ride and walked out in the dark.

STC_0452.JPG STC_0455.JPG

I went out the next day with the bobcat but let him dig a little anyway.

P1260708.JPG

The snow must have hit sticky because he lost a pretty good quality COSTCO tent that holds a Riviera. Yes, there's a car under there.

P1260712.JPGP1260709.JPG

Another beautiful frozen sunset at the G749 farm.

P1260717.JPGP1260722.JPGP1260723.JPG

Mattech

I got a call from the brother who said he needed to drop something off at the G749 farm. I plowed at the beginning of the month, how bad could it be? He was a quarter mile racer when I was growing up and I think he got just about that far once again.

View attachment 789056View attachment 789057

He went in when the snow was cold so it was impressive just how far he made it. As the day warmed up, the powder turned to glue. By the time he was ready to leave......he had to call the wife for a ride and walked out in the dark.

View attachment 789064 View attachment 789065

I went out the next day with the bobcat but let him dig a little anyway.

View attachment 789058

The snow must have hit sticky because he lost a pretty good quality COSTCO tent that holds a Riviera. Yes, there's a car under there.

View attachment 789060View attachment 789059

Another beautiful frozen sunset at the G749 farm.

View attachment 789061View attachment 789062View attachment 789063
You should have called after you got there so I could have come out and given him crap for not having the right tires in his truck and been able to stand and watch and laugh at him.....we have just as much snow here just down the road....lol

Another Ahab

You should have called after you got there so I could have come out and given him crap for not having the right tires in his truck and been able to stand and watch and laugh at him.....we have just as much snow here just down the road....lol
I'm guessing that Winter is back, for this year anyway.

I got two old hockey buddies who now live in Anchorage, one in-town and one outside the city, and they tell me the temperature there currently is mostly plain "nothing" (zero).

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spring is here the grass has ris', do you know where your filters is?

After babying Goose in parades and displays all this time, I had to make her work a little last fall. When I parked her for the winter, she was coughing, spittin', barely able to crawl to the barn.
When I told her last week that Seano11 was coming out to move some trucks around with the 5 ton, Goose got that smirk again......can you see it?

P2010724.JPG

Goose wanted to try to move the 15,000lb. M211 by herself, on ice, before the frozen base started to melt too much. Goose needed some juices after the long winter and she let us know. We had a real nice mat donated to the G749 sand floor and it's helping Goose tell the story. I'm actually excited to see the leaks because we get to tear into the brakes again and clean things. She only took a few ounces of brake fluid and a quart of diff fluid between the 3 diffs so we're so happy, we're leaking.

P2010727.JPGP2010730.JPG

After the lay-down PM the stand up PM's found a fuel tank and filter that some idiot bounced around a field, let rain water inside then parked it for the winter. I wondered if the camera flash would blow up the tank so I let my buddy take the picture. It didn't blow up this time. Nice photos of a happy tank and now I know why Goose was grinning. After popping the filter in, flushing the tank and fuel line, Goose fired up like a new truck.

P3040948.JPGP3040950.JPGP3040949.JPG

I gotta thank a few guys for talking me into a short stack. The timing was good because the guy that put Goose the Steel Soldier's, wooden shed's steel posts up didn't leave me a lot of room.

P3050966.JPG

Before Goose could pull on the 211, Plowboy had to add air to a G749 tire, in the bush, for the first time. That's right, after all these years you guys had me so respectful of exploding rims that I never put air in myself. I didn't need to. After the boys from https://www.grandetire.net/ took off the radials and put on those sassy, mud throwing, snow slipping military tires, they haven't dropped below 50 p.s.i.
Mattech set me up with some clip on, run away, air chucks and Bobcat delivered the tools. No boom, tire holds air.

P3050972.JPG

This is a rare shot that may never be seen again. The M211 is heading back south, near the bunker where she served most of her years at Penhold Alberta.
George the BATUS 1956 M135, Moore the Penhold 1955 M211 and Gracie, the 1954 M207, M220 shop van secret agent.
I do apologize to the Warrant that we didn't have the trucks lined up perfectly.

P2270844.JPG

Let's go see what Goose can do!

P3060973.JPG

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
UNbelievable ability.

I don't have a lot of photos but after hooking up the Mattech towbar and night setting in, The M135 spaghetti strapped the 211 backwards onto flat ground, hooked up and was ready to pull. Handy little towbar Mattech but if a guy doesn't get the legs even where the pins go, the truck behind tracks to one side, even in the dark.

P2270834.JPGtowbar.jpggooselitgraci.jpg

Goose gave it her best but her operator chose High range instead of Low. That's where she sat until today.

nitegoose.jpg

I could see in the light that I offset the towbar and dragged that M211 through the deep windrows along the trail,...... that didn't help..... and....hoping momentum and speed would be the winning choice, lost power, speed, then traction about half way up the only hill.

goose track.jpg

All we did today was throw some sand down, hooked up the half ton, dropped Goose in Low Range Hilly....because we were on a hill.......and you can see by the tracks how she just bites and pulls........unbelievable truck. She dragged that M211 dog from a dead stop, on a hill with those nutty NDT's biting the sand over ice. Just awesome. I did notice the M211 wasn't following the towbar. The front tires stayed straight so that was another reason old Goose impressed me, just dragging the 211 around icy corners.

goosetrackdig.jpg

......and thar Moore sits, awaiting the gate, for a new owners project. These trucks are hard to sell. I'm not sure why. My contract is easy! I took most of it off the SPCA website. I come to your house before you get your truck to see the new home, I check out the project capabilities, review your cupboards to make sure the essentials are there, then I visit weekly for the first few months, monthly after that....then once you're done, I get to drive it! It's pretty easy to buy a truck off me, if you've ever bought a dog before!

m135m211.jpggoosemoorejellybean.jpg

We need an M135 project truck that we can push around a little, drive it in deep, get it muddy......call it Piglet!

goosepiglet.jpg

Mattech

UNbelievable ability.

I don't have a lot of photos but after hooking up the Mattech towbar and night setting in, The M135 spaghetti strapped the 211 backwards onto flat ground, hooked up and was ready to pull. Handy little towbar Mattech but if a guy doesn't get the legs even where the pins go, the truck behind tracks to one side, even in the dark.

View attachment 792123View attachment 792124View attachment 792130

Goose gave it her best but her operator chose High range instead of Low. That's where she sat until today.

View attachment 792127

I could see in the light that I offset the towbar and dragged that M211 through the deep windrows along the trail,...... that didn't help..... and....hoping momentum and speed would be the winning choice, lost power, speed, then traction about half way up the only hill.

View attachment 792125

All we did today was throw some sand down, hooked up the half ton, dropped Goose in Low Range Hilly....because we were on a hill.......and you can see by the tracks how she just bites and pulls........unbelievable truck. She dragged that M211 dog from a dead stop, on a hill with those nutty NDT's biting the sand over ice. Just awesome. I did notice the M211 wasn't following the towbar. The front tires stayed straight so that was another reason old Goose impressed me, just dragging the 211 around icy corners.

View attachment 792126

......and thar Moore sits, awaiting the gate, for a new owners project. These trucks are hard to sell. I'm not sure why. My contract is easy! I took most of it off the SPCA website. I come to your house before you get your truck to see the new home, I check out the project capabilities, review your cupboards to make sure the essentials are there, then I visit weekly for the first few months, monthly after that....then once you're done, I get to drive it! It's pretty easy to buy a truck off me, if you've ever bought a dog before!

View attachment 792128View attachment 792129

We need an M135 project truck that we can push around a little, drive it in deep, get it muddy......call it Piglet!

View attachment 792131
Glad the tow-bar was of help to get Goose pulling the M-211 out of her snow resting place and up to the gate....

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Collection Of Vehicles I Drive 19 COVID 19

We're going to have some spare time on our hands so it's a great time to get together with buddies. I had one more truck to move to get it on high ground before the heat wave of summer hits. All I had to do was figure out how to get these lugs off and change a few tires.

P3161137.JPGP3161143.JPG

I just started to crack the nuts by hand when Seano11 the millenio and Fred the Dog show up with one of those millennial gadgets. It's the size of an electric drill and works like a colony. With the knowledge of the two of us all put together, fully recognizing which side of the truck we were on and which way the nuts turn, we gave Piglet new tires in minutes. These kids and there new toys......thanks Sean!

P3161141.JPGP3161148.JPGP3161147.JPGP3161149.JPG

We still needed to hook a Chev up to the GMC hooked up to the GMC to get up on high ground, but we made it. Staged and ready for tank offenen'.

P3161150.JPGP3161154.JPGP3161153.JPG

Mattech

Collection Of Vehicles I Drive 19 COVID 19

We're going to have some spare time on our hands so it's a great time to get together with buddies. I had one more truck to move to get it on high ground before the heat wave of summer hits. All I had to do was figure out how to get these lugs off and change a few tires.

View attachment 792897View attachment 792896

I just started to crack the nuts by hand when Seano11 the millenio and Fred the Dog show up with one of those millennial gadgets. It's the size of an electric drill and works like a colony. With the knowledge of the two of us all put together, fully recognizing which side of the truck we were on and which way the nuts turn, we gave Piglet new tires in minutes. These kids and there new toys......thanks Sean!

View attachment 792898View attachment 792899View attachment 792895View attachment 792894

We still needed to hook a Chev up to the GMC hooked up to the GMC to get up on high ground, but we made it. Staged and ready for tank offenen'.

View attachment 792893View attachment 792891View attachment 792892
What did you do?... Fart in your coveralls that bad that you needed to gas mask again?!?!?!?!...ROF

Another Ahab

I just started to crack the nuts by hand when Seano11 the millenio and Fred the Dog show up with one of those millennial gadgets. It's the size of an electric drill and works like a colony. . These kids and there new toys......thanks Sean!

View attachment 792898
Plowboy, are you talking about an impact driver?

You are just now discovering these?!

You REALLY need to get out just a litte more. I mean, you know, when it's all safe to do that...

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm new to battery powered tools that work this good. Batteries need maintenance systems so I avoid them. The cordless beasts really got good two years ago and now that there's one in the Steel Soldiers family, I don't need one. I was on air tools until we bought our first electric impact probably 8 or so years ago but these offgrid tools are real impressive. 1800 lbs of break force is amazing.

I am reviewing the circumstances of staging the trucks in view from our gate. I'm guessing a few new folks that travel by on a regular basis are slowing down and looking a little closer, surmising all kinds of things. Now that a State of 'public health' Emergency has been declared, this might attract attention.

P3161152.JPG

Another Ahab

I was on air tools until we bought our first electric impact probably 8 or so years ago but these offgrid tools are real impressive. 1800 lbs of break force is amazing.
They are indeed impressive, plowboy, but not so sure they qualify as off-grid. We still need to charge their batteries.

Now if you want to really talk "off-grid" for a tool, I got one for you! Here it is:

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do any of you know 'that guy' who found out you were working on an old deuce, and he just wouldn't let you do it alone........even in a pandemic?

P3201157.JPG

All I did was mention to Mattech that I'd drop off the air chucks he loaned me on my way out to yank a tank. My plan was to unbolt as much as I could and pull the tank on a warmer day. It was a beautiful day, bright sunny.....hanging right around freezing, ridiculous day to work outside. Tanks yanked and we're ready for phase 2 already.......Thanks Mattech! Neither one of us liked the tube shaped camper on the back.

P2270841.JPG

Knowing hospitals wouldn't openly welcome a fella after he dropped a poop tank on himself, we over planned everything. After reviewing the training sheets, safe work practice and job procedure, inspecting chains, opening the rigging and hoisting manual to record on the daily report sheet,........we were tired. We developed a removal procedure and since we were a long distance from a hospital....had to buy an ambulance with crew to ensure we had adequate transportation and medical staff. I've included the procedure below so others can follow the existing procedure.

1) Undo Bolts
2) Yank the Tank

P3201158.JPGP3201160.JPG

This is the first time I took a look at the back of the cab. Goose had holes along the rear window channel so this is a treat.

P3201164.JPG

Free Corona at the G749 Farm to the first guy , that isn't Mattech, and can tell us what's missing in this photo.

P3201168.JPG

Airpak looks clean,

P3201170.JPG

That white painted differential always reminds me of some crazy blackout driving stories I've heard and will share one day. Share your blackout story!

P3201166.JPG

the PTO is rear drive with a pulley. If I get a big windmill and mount it on the truck, I figure the wind power can run down the shaft to the pulley, through the transfer case, back to the wheels and we'll be driving a Wind Powered Deuce real soon. Got some figuring to do.

P3201165.JPG

Introducing, PIGLET.

P3201163.JPG

Another Ahab

Do any of you know 'that guy' who found out you were working on an old deuce, and he just wouldn't let you do it alone........even in a pandemic?

View attachment 793201

Free Corona at the G749 Farm to the first guy , that isn't Mattech, and can tell us what's missing in this photo.
Plowboy, always loving your posts (and the great pics), but that is a bad word choice (unfortunately) right now. Thanks for the post though!

Keep your good spirits up, and strength and courage to all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks