• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 Trucks hard to come by

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve got a pretty good list. I have a Gun Truck I’ve built, the War Wagon. It’s built on a ‘70 M35A2 w/w. Right now my armament is three M2 replica .50 cal MG’s, a M60 replica, a M16 replica, some grenade replicas, a LAW rocket tube and a bun load of ammo cans. I’m planning for a forth M2 which I’ll put on the rear mount to make a dual .50 position. I’ve got the parts to make a second layer of armor out of PSP. I’ve received many positive comments on it.
jeffhuey, looks like your list of trucks is growing?? Were you working on a m35 gun truck?

1944mb

Not sure why, but have a really bad case of OD fever, not sure if this is the cure or not. Would like to find a few more of these trucks and get them back in the road.

Attachments

1944mb

Doesn't look like much but she finally got mirrors! My wife had to laugh that I just pulled up to
the parts truck, unbolted and bolted onto the m211. She thought I should start a new trend-drive up wrecking yards.shes still a black eyed Susan with that headlight drooping-the truck that is

Attachments

gentrysgarage

I wish I had the room to have a parts truck...it would save me sooooo much money. I am jealous 1944MB!
If you get a chance could you measure your mirror arms collapsed and extended...I bought some NOS unkown arms and I think they are close.
Thanks!

1944mb

Gentry, not having space is really difficult, been there. I passed up a Vietnam era m151a1, in great shape, uncut for $400. I didn't have the space or money! What sort of parts are you needing? I am sure between a few of us we would be able to get you what you need. How are things going for you? I will measure those and let you know. I need some glass for the one mirror, it measured 5.5"x7.5" if I recall correctly.

gentrysgarage

Gentry, not having space is really difficult, been there. I passed up a Vietnam era m151a1, in great shape, uncut for $400. I didn't have the space or money! What sort of parts are you needing? I am sure between a few of us we would be able to get you what you need. How are things going for you? I will measure those and let you know. I need some glass for the one mirror, it measured 5.5"x7.5" if I recall correctly.
I have missed a few deals due to lack of money also...it hurts even more when it is such a deal as that M151. II am almost done with the parts acquisition at this point. I know you guys would help out! A glass shop could cut a mirror one for you...I went on ePay and picked up 2 NOS surplus round ones for 15.00 new! I got a deal the key is the buy-it now/make offer sales!

1944mb

Block heaters

Well last night we had some cold come in(colder than what we've already had) and the 211 decided it was thinking of Hawaii and tropical weather. It was in vacation and not really wanting to start. I'm not to crazy at starting it without A block heater when it's cold anyways. So, does anyone have a part number on a block heater they are using? I prefer one that goes in where the soft plugs are. Does anyone have a size on soft plugs?

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They set the trucks up with circulating heaters tied into the heater plumbing. Not sure the difference in power drain off the house but you jump in and the water is warm, oil is warmish and the heater blows warm air.

Big difference in base price investment so let's do some shopping. Did you get a look to see if we have knock outs on those blocks where a block heater would slide in? I've got section 8's block on the ground so I can peak at it before the weekend if you don't have a solid answer on a location.

There are Pro's and cons using both methods but certainly look at the option of circulation. Oil pan heaters always get me warmed up because it's only the oil that cares that it's cold. The gas, starter, pistons, bearings, anti-freeze, they all enjoy the cold.

Sorry about the cold. I did order some Poutine so if you smell french fries, it's the Alberta clipper.

1944mb

I can probably sneak in there with a caliper and measure them. They are pretty small, which might explain why they've used a re-circ type heater. My grandpa was always against them cause he felt somehow they pressurized and ruined the water pump seals. I'm not too sure that's true as the radiator cap would seem like it would relieve the pressure. There are soft plugs on these-on the exhaust side of the block. Seems to me like most of the time when you buy a block heater they are more application specific and tell you which location to put it so its not resting up against a casting when its installed, but they may just be me. So its your belief the Canadian military just used the circulation type heaters?

Haha! Yes, poutine is calling my name. This is the time of year everyone gets whiny about winter. "Just so tired of the snow, and cold, and blowing" . Ha, could be worse we could live at the equator and sweating to beat the band. That's why they make heaters.

1944mb

They set the trucks up with circulating heaters tied into the heater plumbing. Not sure the difference in power drain off the house but you jump in and the water is warm, oil is warmish and the heater blows warm
Plowboy would you have any pictures of how they piped it in? I don't have a heater in mine....I just roll down the window and try to not to breathe in the cab to keep from fogging the windows up.

Got a few questions to ask the g749 gurus-I had really weak spark after that last cold snap-enough I could almost get the truck started, but not. I had 5v to the primary side of the coil. Replaced the primary resistor and that jumped voltage to 8.5v. Have 24volts on the incoming side of the resistor. At that point the truck started and was its usual self. I had tried replacing everything else but the primary capacitor
Including coil, large capacitor on + side of coil, etc. nothing raises the voltage. Does anyone have a specification for what the voltage should be. The book just cites "normal" voltage-gotta love how specific they are. Also entered the delco coil number into google and it looks like that coil even went on late 60s z28 camaros which would be 12v. Is that voltage suppose to be 12v and I got a faulty resistor. Thankfully through all this I had all these parts-when we were getting the truck going this summer paul thought I should just order them all. So as a Chicago Italian gangster would say-hey, yo thanks Pauly.

Exhaust pipes...my tractor exhaust flipper has froze shut a few times. I'd start the truck and start walking away and the truck would die. Finally found through trial and error that that was freezing closed. So now when I start it I make sure that free. Got a pic in tm on how to construct an exhaust outlet. Does anyone have a few pictures of theirs? Do the look like the tm or something different? I like the taller stacks that a lot of the Canadian trucks seem to have.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Heater Plumbing

I need to get a picture of the back end for you but it starts here just behind the water pump.

g749heatertiepump.jpg

We have an adapter tied into that plug.

g749heatertie.jpg

That line runs into the heater and the outflow comes back out of the fire-wall and disappears in the back. I want to use you as an excuse to hit the ranch to get a better picture of the finish line and the circulating heater.

g749 heater.jpg

I'll try and get details on the adapter too. Looks like an elbow threaded into that plug hole so grab a picture of your return-line feed at the water pump and we'll see what you need.

Did you swap out batteries for the fun of it? We sent cold down there that will weld battery cells together so a battery showing 12.8v could still be broken. Having more trucks means you need 6 batteries cycling on the charger and can swap them out for trouble-shooting.

I'd like to do that test to see what I'm getting at that same spot for voltage but I'm hoping someone in a warmer climate will beat me to it. Or send me a warmer climate soon.

I've also seen the extreme cold loosen bolts so a loose nut on the starter wire will get worse as you hit the key/button/switch...touch two wires together to get it to roll over.

Start back at the main wire from the battery to the starter for me while I put on some extra clothes.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Heater Plumbing

Bummer, found a picture. Looks like a plunge into a 'drain plug' at the back of the block.

g749htrblock.jpg g749htr.jpg

This was an earlier Canadian option. They put the heater under the hood, ran the feed from the water pump to the heater and you can see the short return line going into the passenger side of the block. In cab heaters were warmer.

Bug749enghtrmnt.jpgg749htrundrhd.jpg

1944mb

I went out and checked it again last night and it was werid-the voltage would spike to 12v then drop down to 8.5v. I'd take the probe off and retouch it and it would do the same thing-12v then drop to 8.5v. Testing capacitors set to ohms and reversing the leads will do the same thing. Maybe it was my meter. I'll try checking with another meter.

Yep battery failures...a fact of life in the cold. I always feel better about plugging stuff in. It's way easier on everything when you bring it to life.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Me thinks they burned a bunch of canvas tops before going with a taller stack. We were extending the bow legs up for taller Canadians so the demand seems to come in later in more quantity. Additionally, the shop vans didn't all have tall stalks either so it's a story that needs to have a story board to follow it.

I see a few tall stacks laying around now and then so I guess we should gather them up.

1944mb

I would suspect that you are correct. My wife was out brushing her horses and asked what I thought and I said I was thinking it would be good if the g749 had a stack that was correct and similiar to the m35. I don't was the answer she was looking for as she said -no what do you think about he horses.

Gentry-here is a measurement on the mirrors all the way in. They looked rusted in so I didn't get you an extended measurement, but you could use your imagination. Thanks for your thoughts on getting some glass cut-never said I was the thinking sort.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks