• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 Trucks hard to come by

1944mb

Man, I'm exhausted!!

So fabricated some exhaust up this spring at the old shop I worked in. Took originals as templates and then ordered some machined flanged exhaust clamps. Also built a substitution pipe(that wasnt pretty) where I can install in place of the muffler till the original muffler could be found. Was all set to assemble this when I found out a vendor still stocked all the exhaust pieces, less the muffler. So I will most likely order the original DoD parts and track down an original muffler. The flexible piece by the cab had a bearing on the decision as I have been able to get close but not exact. Anyhow here are some pics of the pieces I fab'edIMG_6719.jpgIMG_6720.jpgIMG_6722.jpgIMG_6724.jpgIMG_6725.jpgIMG_6729.jpgIMG_6730.jpgIMG_6734.jpgIMG_6771.jpgIMG_6772.jpgIMG_6773.jpgIMG_6774.jpgIMG_6748.jpgIMG_6967.jpgIMG_6740.jpgIMG_6741.jpg

1944mb

Its memphis equip-just happened to mention I was going to need to fab some exhaust stuff and the parts guy said they stock all the exhaust parts

1944mb

749 tranny monkey business

So the 211 has always been adjusted poorly to shift down correctly. Was trying to adjust it and everytime I got it properly adjusted, all of a sudden it would go out of adjustment. Finally discovered the teeth on the shift down arm on the transmission were stripped. Stole one off of the parts truck and got it working well. Then all of sudden it started getting stuck in forward gears no matter where shifter was placed. In the discovery process found of the shift rod arms teeth were also stripped. So pulled that off the parts truck. Jeez. Monkey business

Attachments

Another Ahab

Then all of sudden it started getting stuck in forward gears no matter where shifter was placed. In the discovery process found of the shift rod arms teeth were also stripped. So pulled that off the parts truck. Jeez. Monkey business
Go where the weak dare not tread:

- THERE is reward there for your courage!

USMC 00-08

Dang. We put over 120 miles on it like that in May! I'm surprised the truck did so well.

Just realized we forgot to post pictures of all that!!! :shock:

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the 211 has always been adjusted poorly to shift down correctly. Was trying to adjust it and everytime I got it properly adjusted, all of a sudden it would go out of adjustment. Finally discovered the teeth on the shift down arm on the transmission were stripped. Stole one off of the parts truck and got it working well. Then all of sudden it started getting stuck in forward gears no matter where shifter was placed. In the discovery process found of the shift rod arms teeth were also stripped. So pulled that off the parts truck. Jeez. Monkey business
Does that beast have the REB shift kit on it? Over use maybe? I mean they were originally designed to select a gear and go. This part likely wasn't upgraded. If the constant shifting is hard on them it would be good to know.

You're ready for snow right? We think it's time for some snow photos.

rustystud

Constantly shifting the Hydra-Matic transmission is not good. Any automatic that is constantly going in and out of gear what mechanics call "hunting" is a bad thing. You need to check the throttle linkage and the governor for proper adjustment.

1944mb

Electrifying

So all this work was done last spring, I’m just now making some time to post about it. USMC and his wife flew up and piloted the 211 to a memorial day parade in Bozeman last spring these repairs are made leading up to that parade. These trucks are awesome-love them and trying at times. But I guess that’s all part of it.

i have not the foggiest idea why the pictures end up upside down.

Attachments

Last edited:

1944mb

We were able to get stars on it as well. You wont believe how many people would laugh at the car show when they saw the sign okay to touch. All the guys with vehicles were totally paranoid a little kid was going to touch their pride and joy. In the mean time my wife put kids in the cab of our truck one right after the other. IMG_7400.jpgIMG_7427.jpgIMG_7404.jpgIMG_7403.jpgIMG_7402.jpgIMG_7401.jpg

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did we talk about what the hood number is from? It seems like weeks since we talked and I'm sure the waitress put something in my coffee the night before we met. I'm almost certain it was Bailey's, Kahlua and Vodka.

You'll get a chance to catch up with pictures when the kids get licenses and are borrowing the truck to move. Beautiful truck!

1944mb

Well after searching around the web I ultimately tracked down the exhaust parts. I decided even though I had fabricated much of the piping that NOS exhaust parts were a direct fit. Finally a northern excursion revealed some muffler. So the time had come to amputate the farmer exhaust(somewhat sad to all of us farmers at heart) and install to original exhaust. What excitement this was for me-finally able to install a spare tire and have the truck look as it should. Usmc prior to Memorial Day last year helped me install the correct hardtop, what a difference in looks that gave the truck, but what difference the exhaust did as well. I have video to show the difference in sound I will post at some point, for now just pics.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did we get the holes in the right place? The original mufflers we used for the template had a little difference in the hole locations. We used the first one that fit Goose well.

It looks like yours fits like a Goose.

1944mb

Did we get the holes in the right place? The original mufflers we used for the template had a little difference in the hole locations. We used the first one that fit Goose well.

It looks like yours fits like a Goose.
It fit perfect! Bing bang boom. Done. The only thing I didn’t have and was gonna look at my other trucks was the bracket above the exhaust connections-I’m not sure what goes there. And lastly to finish the job I had to put the spare in place

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks