• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 Trucks hard to come by

1944mb

m-207 CDN

Okay, finally got some time to go snap a few pics of one of these trucks that I know of in the county...Saddens me to see mud starting to get over the rims on this truck. Found an old clark manually tranny and clutch pedal in cab...hinting of possible conversion to a manual tranny. No motor, tranny, shift tower. Did find air cleaner, alternator, air compressor, and other misc.+grille. Would take some effort to get this old girl rolling again...

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That old Canadian truck looks like she grew a few feet....and I don't mean it has feet....it's longer than most.

Since the frame has been modified, it makes a good parts truck. Real nice shape and with it having the CDN data-plate, kind of neat to be hanging in Montana.

The frame should be stamped 120704507 just above that passenger front wheel. It's newer than my M207CDN by 1505. Gracie the shop van is 120703002 delivered on 30-4-54.

I wonder if our Los Angeles gentrysgarage could use the axles?

1944mb

Yeah, in regards to the frame you know what happens when a bunch of farmers get a hold of something(haha-I actually am/grew up in a farming family). I tend to like to do things the hard way, I hate to see it get parted out, but being my first truck, it would be nice to find something a little more complete. Gonna bend Sarge's ear(here in the county who used to be active army), as he told me he knows of the hiding spots of a few more-maybe if they haven't been scrapped. This one I ran across doing a service call a few years back. Check out this pic-what bed does this go to? I am guessing maybe a m35 as it look newer. Thanks m1010plowboy!

Attachments

USMC 00-08

That truck has some good parts on it if you could get it really cheap. Bumper looks good, fuel tank if it isn't rusted out, gauges, axles, airpak, glass, fenders, doors, etc. Hardtops seem to be hard to find here in the states.

That bed might be from an M928 or M814.

1944mb

USMC 00-08 Define cheap. I hate to part anything out, but worst would be for scrap to go up and it get crushed. If parting out keeping more trucks on the road, then so be it.
Speaking of hardtops, I realize I probably should spend sometime reading the TM's, there has to be a winterization/heater kit, or was this standard? For us in the north, heat is nice(I realize I am only kinda north compared to m1010plowboy).
I already have a pretty bad case of OD fever for the 1/4 ton stuff. I think I am getting another strain of it-one that appeals to my love of stuff build heavy duty...
The old guy that owned it was not there, his wife was. I plan to talk to him and see what the plan is, I dug the grille out of the mud, so maybe its not important enough for him to keep? I need to make a few more scouting trips around so whats out there.

USMC 00-08

I don't like to part anything out either, but the longer I am around these trucks, I have come to realize that some of the rougher trucks would be best used to keep the nicer ones on the road. The one in your pictures in my opinion would be best used as a parts donor. Mainly because the frame has been tampered with. That would make me too nervous to put my family or friends in and take out on the highway. It does however have some great parts on it, but I think it would prove to be far more costly to bring it back than it would for you to find a better example and get that truck how you want it.

By cheap, I mean scrap value at most and not scrap price on a 12,000+lb truck. Estimate the weight in it's current state and the cost involved for you to get it home if you try to come up with an offer.

It seems to me a lot of people try to "threaten" us with "buy it at my asking price (usually ridiculously high) or it is going to scrap". I don't let that get me worked up and just offer scrap price or a little less while still trying to be reasonable. My reason on that is by the time they get it loaded and hauled to the scrapyard, they are out more time and money and would have got more for it if they would have sold it to me at scrap price. I do point this out to people and usually they see the logic in it. Plus if they are already mentioning scrap, they already told me what they think it is really worth.

Now if they were willing to part it out and pull the parts for me that I want, that is another matter.

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion and what I would do. Someone else may think differently and that is ok. I'd like to see other thoughts on this as well.

I don't think the winterization kit with the heater and hardtop was standard in the US. At least not in the southern part, because I never see trucks down here with them. I really like the hardtops and am always on the lookout for another one. Canvas deteriorates too fast where I am at.

1944mb

And I would definitely agree with you on this. You can only save so much stuff, before economics takes over. And if parts go to the right hands, its not wasted to dismantle. I am after getting a truck that I can use, and tinker with. My wife actually has a little wisdom on this, in that she is always insisting I spend a little more and get something complete if the goal is to have something that functions.

I waited for the owner, but he was busy feeding cows, and I had to go. I would be interested in getting it just to keep it out of the crusher, and getting people parts if they need them. Its about 15 miles from my house. I was reading through the TM's but curious what you guys measure for width on the tires and length from front tire to second and first set of duals?

Something about old iron. Ones man's junk is anothers treasure

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
211 with a spare cab. Has been at this storage for 3yrs. Can't get close to it or find out who owns it.
I smell an M211 and that hard-top has a story. Something about that back window and the yellow paint but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Master Henderson's yellow M220 came from The Department of Emergency Management ...I think... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?78884-My-new-M220-soon-to-be-camper/page4

That would be even more interesting for everyone if the truck was with the original "Civil Defense" in the U.S. which eventually formed into Emergency Management. There was a similar transition up here around 1959.

That truck...should be Your truck!

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi, FWIW, I've got a XM-211 out back waiting for me to get off my tookus and get it running again. It was a junk yard save. It's in okay shape with only a couple fender rust spots. The engine had antifreeze in the oil so I'm thinking the engine will need to be torn down and given a good look over. Got some parts including a complete engine gasket set 2 spare engine (need to be taken down to see what shape they're in. Anyway, one of these days I've got to get off the pot and either fix it or sell it. I hate these kinds of decisions...

1944mb

Hi, FWIW, I've got a XM-211 out back waiting for me to get off my tookus and get it running again. It was a junk yard save. It's in okay shape with only a couple fender rust spots. The engine had antifreeze in the oil so I'm thinking the engine will need to be torn down and given a good look over. Got some parts including a complete engine gasket set 2 spare engine (need to be taken down to see what shape they're in. Anyway, one of these days I've got to get off the pot and either fix it or sell it. I hate these kinds of decisions...
Got any pics? Would u be serious about selling?

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you check my profile, there's 4 pics of it. I'll talk to my wife and see what we want to do with it. I've got too many projects, somethings got to go. I'll post our decision tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for asking!

1944mb

Jeffhuey1n pm responded to.

Talked again the fatsco-they were tearing down a reduction unit to see if anything salvageable. Both were full of water and trashed. He did locate a good used reverse cone clutch-$82. Wanted to work with him in setting up a parts list available for these granny's and he said he did not have time to right now. Kinda disappointed. Asked about bushing kits for these as well and he did have them with the exception of a few in the Tranny. Need to do more research on who else has parts for these.

gentrysgarage

Okay, finally got some time to go snap a few pics of one of these trucks that I know of in the county...Saddens me to see mud starting to get over the rims on this truck. Found an old clark manually tranny and clutch pedal in cab...hinting of possible conversion to a manual tranny. No motor, tranny, shift tower. Did find air cleaner, alternator, air compressor, and other misc.+grille. Would take some effort to get this old girl rolling again...

Heck this is a jewel compared to my COE! I am building a truck from bent fenders, hood, grill, 2 axle housings and 1/3 of the original frame...LOL!! Thank God I don't live in the country as I would buy it for a future resto! That being said I would really feel like a vulture picking at bones for the hubs and 2 drums....stupid consense (sp)! LOL!!!

Last edited:

USMC 00-08

Wanted to work with him in setting up a parts list available for these granny's and he said he did not have time to right now. Kinda disappointed.
Maybe we should all call him every day for the next couple of weeks and ask for a parts list of what we need to rebuild these. :twisted:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks