• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 Trucks hard to come by

1944mb

He thought I was just a tire kicker, which I guess I was cause I didn't have a Tranny I needed parts for. I did explain to him that a number of people would be interested and be sales for him. But he sounded busy. Said maybe when things slowed down. I am serious about trying to find all sources of parts so we don't have to take 3trannys to make one good one!!

Maybe we should all call him every day for the next couple of weeks and ask for a parts list of what we need to rebuild these. :twisted:

USMC 00-08

We'll put some pressure on him when the time comes then.

That is a good looking M211 jeffhuey1n. Are those brand new engines? A military hardtop would sure look sharp on it.
G749 Hard Top.jpg

1944mb

Headed down to San Diego to visit some family, and a little business trip...does anyone have anything headed that way? Were driving and have some room if someone needed a few things trucked down there--thinking of gentrysgarage?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Headed down to San Diego to visit some family, and a little business trip...does anyone have anything headed that way? Were driving and have some room if someone needed a few things trucked down there--thinking of gentrysgarage?
ahhhhhhhh, San Diego, Point Loma, Fort Rosecrans, the Naval museum, all gave me a new level of respect for those who serve. We went to the tri-city swap meet at the stadium one year and bought my first 1100 20 tire. Good thing I drove because getting that on the plane would have been real tough.

There is a Harbour Freight in El Cajon...1196 E Main St, El Cajon, CA 92021, United States...It was right next to a Stars and Stripes surplus shop and in the back was an M135. This was about 1500 sleeps ago so a lot could have happened in that time. It's still on the sat' search maps but who knows.

Might be worth a visit or a call to see if it's still there. The truck was owned by the Surplus Shop so if it's still there, they'd be the ones to talk to.

When we toured down, there was a lot of green iron just off the highway and that's how I found the 215. Keep your eyes in the fields and the hands upon the wheel, keep your eyes on the fields and your hands upon the wheel. There are a few places in Idaho you'd want to peak at right next to the highway.http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/about http://www.idahomotorpool.com/ Not sure if Gentrysgarage made the calls to all the suppliers for his 135 hubs but there must be some parts closer than me. http://www.boyceequipment.com/.

Have a great trip!

1944mb

Cool! Never been to the idaho motor pool, or boyce. Army surplus has been well visited. Did you make it on the USS Midway Aircraft carrier in SD. Will see if we make it out to El Cajon...have a brother that lives in the vicinity. You are well traveled!

Asked my wife how far laramie was(in hours is how we estimate distance in Montana-In WY they estimate it in days with the speed limit being 55 in many places-sorry jeffhuey1n for the cheap shot). Then was telling her about the truck of Jeffhueyh1n's. Last night she same up to me and said, so you are thinking of detouring all the way to Laramie from I15 on our way home? Had to pretend "Oh I wasnt but that a great idea" Gotta say, she has figured me out-which isn't saying much when you have a one track mind!

Good to know that I'm not the only one who can see something 1500 miles away and still stop and see it every time I go to visit. I've been accused of having some sort of illness--yeah no kidding-OD fever! One of the best pics I've seen yet is that deuce at a car show with a chevelle. Anyone have the thread-ive read so much i lose track of where I see stuff!

ahhhhhhhh, San Diego, Point Loma, Fort Rosecrans, the Naval museum, all gave me a new level of respect for those who serve. We went to the tri-city swap meet at the stadium one year and bought my first 1100 20 tire. Good thing I drove because getting that on the plane would have been real tough.

There is a Harbour Freight in El Cajon...1196 E Main St, El Cajon, CA 92021, United States...It was right next to a Stars and Stripes surplus shop and in the back was an M135. This was about 1500 sleeps ago so a lot could have happened in that time. It's still on the sat' search maps but who knows.

Might be worth a visit or a call to see if it's still there. The truck was owned by the Surplus Shop so if it's still there, they'd be the ones to talk to.

When we toured down, there was a lot of green iron just off the highway and that's how I found the 215. Keep your eyes in the fields and the hands upon the wheel, keep your eyes on the fields and your hands upon the wheel. There are a few places in Idaho you'd want to peak at right next to the highway.http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/about http://www.idahomotorpool.com/ Not sure if Gentrysgarage made the calls to all the suppliers for his 135 hubs but there must be some parts closer than me. http://www.boyceequipment.com/.

Have a great trip!

gentrysgarage

Thank You so much for your offer, I haven't located the hubs and drums yet, but It seems our resident m135/211 diviner (think the people with 2 sticks finding pipes and water) can find OD steel thousands of miles away. Thank you Google "Big Brother"
135.jpg55.jpggg.jpg

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine came from the local forest service maintenance yard. They got rid of tons of stuff including 6 or 7 engines. I grabbed two and some other stuff. I'd like to have a hard top but can't afford one. I'm focused on my Gun Truck right now. Trying to get it ready for Armed Forces Day and some summer parades and events.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Coming back from So Cal, you can take the 5 to Sacremento, then cut east to I80. That'll take you to Salt Lake, which is where you head east toward Evenston WY. Time from the I80/I84 interchange to Laramie County is about 6 hours. I25 takes almost all the way to Billings, if I remember correctly. Hard on the kidneys but I've made the various journeys many times... As long as the snow stays away...

1944mb

Snapped u guys a few pics of Boyce equipment in salt lake. Never been there so thought I would stop. They had a ton of g742, 2.5 and 5 ton trucks, bunch of axles, trucks in various repair, and some humvees. They had a ton of tires, he said their 1100-20 tires were dwindling. Just crushed a couple of cabs due to lack of interest then three days later someone called looking for stuff, g749 cabs that is. Nice guys enjoyed visiting with them. There was another outfit there with what looked like another 20-30 humvees if anyone was looking for them. He did mention they carried manny brake parts, even the lining for the shoes were getting hardier to find.

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi,
Awesome post, thank you!
I've been searching for a spare tire carrier for my tractor. Do they have any 5 ton tractor parts? M52 to be exact.
Sounds like a visit very soon...
Jeff

Snapped u guys a few pics of Boyce equipment in salt lake. Never been there so thought I would stop. They had a ton of g742, 2.5 and 5 ton trucks, bunch of axles, trucks in various repair, and some humvees. They had a ton of tires, he said their 1100-20 tires were dwindling. Just crushed a couple of cabs due to lack of interest then three days later someone called looking for stuff, g749 cabs that is. Nice guys enjoyed visiting with them. There was another outfit there with what looked like another 20-30 humvees if anyone was looking for them. He did mention they carried manny brake parts, even the lining for the shoes were getting hardier to find.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you make it on the USS Midway Aircraft carrier in SD.?????????? Will see if we make it out to El Cajon...have a brother that lives in the vicinity. You are well traveled!

Anyone have the thread-ive read so much i lose track of where I see stuff??????????!
I added the question mark so we don't miss that question stuff next time..lol..

The Midway Museum, the two Subs, one Russian, the paddle boat and the smelly boat have been visited twice by moi. You can't see everything the first time. If you hang with a Docent they will take you places on Midway most folks don't get to see. They had 3-D flight simulators on the hanger deck and I chased messer's in a Corsair with their Microsoft Combat flight simulator. My oooolder brother was with me and we were pulling Split-S's, Immelmans and full 3-D manoeuvres until my brother went.....burp. I let him out and kept flying.

Everyone needs to drop the cash on that place and spend some time on the carrier. I worked for 25 years before I paid for a trip out of Canada so knocked San-Diego off the bucket list.

.....and I know that picture you're talking about but I think the man went and bought a 5 ton so hasn't posted in a while......we'll hunt it down again.

1944mb

It looked like me to me like anything newer than an early deuce they had in abundance! Gobs of m35, 800 and 900 series trucks. Hard parts, axles, tires galore. A few trucks were wrecked and donors. Truly the pics did not do it justice. I would guess it was about 3-5 acres of just trucks with a dozen humvees thrown in for a little diversity. Sounded like they just crushed a few g749s cause they needed more room! My luck a day late dollar short. They did sell some brake parts for them. I take it their business is largely selling Rockwell axles by looking at their site, and bobing deuces. Check en here is you need a number-also close off interstate. http://www.boyceequipment.com

Hi,
Awesome post, thank you!
I've been searching for a spare tire carrier for my tractor. Do they have any 5 ton tractor parts? M52 to be exact.
Sounds like a visit very soon...
Jeff

1944mb

The midway museum is my favorite to see. I am a bit of a dry lander but it makes me respect those who sacrifice time in their lives to keep our countries safe. Had a friend our was a mechanic-he said it was fun launching a recovering aircraft for a few days then was a job. But the pilots loved what they did-yeah, fly a multi million dollar aircraft where else u gonna do that! Thanks plowboy would've never stopped at Boyce equip, stopped at army/navy store in Idaho falls whenever we go through. They were really nice about just go through the yard and see if you like anything.

I added the question mark so we don't miss that question stuff next time..lol..

The Midway Museum, the two Subs, one Russian, the paddle boat and the smelly boat have been visited twice by moi. You can't see everything the first time. If you hang with a Docent they will take you places on Midway most folks don't get to see. They had 3-D flight simulators on the hanger deck and I chased messer's in a Corsair with their Microsoft Combat flight simulator. My oooolder brother was with me and we were pulling Split-S's, Immelmans and full 3-D manoeuvres until my brother went.....burp. I let him out and kept flying.

Everyone needs to drop the cash on that place and spend some time on the carrier. I worked for 25 years before I paid for a trip out of Canada so knocked San-Diego off the bucket list.

.....and I know that picture you're talking about but I think the man went and bought a 5 ton so hasn't posted in a while......we'll hunt it down again.

1944mb

Also found a couple of my strays checking out the trucks. They corrected mom when she pointed to a humvee and told them to look at the jeeps. Brought a tear to the eye haha. Like a say they were awesome about letting us walk through a look at stuff. It was 80 degrees so it was like a furnace compared to what we have been used too

Attachments

USMC 00-08

Sounded like they just crushed a few g749s cause they needed more room!
They should have asked scrap price for them since that is what they ended up getting anyway. Or even advertised them better. So frustrating!!!

Just thinking out loud. Such a waste.

Last edited:

1944mb

Usmc I would agree with you. I've got his business card so I may see if he would let me know before he did that. We could at least posted and someone get a shot at it. Especially sheet-metal doesn't weigh much

1944mb

Okay, as promised I had my wife dig out her pics of her grandpa, and his trucks during WWII. She thought they were a g749 series truck but nope. The pic with the two trucks is actually his friend, December 26, 1952 in Korea. It was written on one of the other pic COLD. The other is summer 1952, and it is of her grandpa. You can see what look to be a CCKW in the background. So sorry, the waited for G749 pics turned up to be a fraud. They are really some neat pics though to see in country. I wonder where I should post the bumper numbers at...I would like to know what they stood for.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's humbling seeing the old photos. Those were tough times and it's good to see Grandgpa bring home some pics. I bet he had some awesome Grandkids.

The truck on the left has a diff just like my G749 M135. I looked for a photo of another CCKW that has that diff and could only see older style split diffs. Interesting! Need to learn more about that truck.

......any idea what the truck on the right is?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks