• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 Trucks hard to come by

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did Paul and his family have a safe trip? Keep us posted on your progress on the green machines. Have a good 4th of July.

Merle

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're bringing a woody home! Nice work gents. She needs a name....can we call it the Termite ate er????

While you were recovering, we were testing out the latest husher and swapped out Gizmo's tube for the test. I gave the boys a muffler out of the barn for a sample and we found a wee difference in the hole angle between the NON stamped mufflers and the NOS stamped mufflers.

20170702_130852.jpg

Most of the NOS mufflers are within 1 degree so we've got the numbers confirmed and just need to test tuning and fit on Goose tomorrow. We played with the flanges a little and have the new flange set-up so it will take the fatter donut. If someone has the old narrow donuts it's easy to tap the flanges a little flatter but for now we're set up for the most common donut.

Have a fantastic 4th of July gents and we'll dance along with a muffler tailgate party.

20170702_134318.jpg20170702_134453.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PWI, Posting while Impaired

You guys are wise not posting while you're slurring your typing! Don't PWI.

I didn't want to get all cad on you boys while you're partying but I'm thinking this might help out USMC008 and our future muffler builders. Muffles the muffler man changed the original opposing flange angles by 3° and we're going to rotate the oval by a half inch to split the difference between the various mufflers we measured.
You can see the difference in the flange positions of two mufflers we plotted and it's a little surprising.

20170703_215117.jpg20170703_215036.jpg

We were at a momentary standstill because we fought a little with Gizmo, had to lift the stack a half inch which puts the flex portion of the pipe within an 1/8" of the step. Kicking the outlet flange over 3° is enough to put 3/8 of an inch between flex and step. We just need to jag the jig........and the rest is jumbo to me. Send the new jig DX something file to the cnc something machine, oval out the flange hole so when we roll the seam a 1/2'' something stays round....and then just weld it up.

20170703_214327.jpg 20170703_214533.jpg

For Ships and goggles, if you've got a decent muffler close by, see what the angle of the two opposing flange faces is. The distance between the flange center lines, .....or the closest tip of each flange would be a 'confirming' measurement as well. The test fit on Goose went real well so I'm confident we nailed the best option but it's always interesting to see how consistent each muffler is.

The other item we're finding different between mufflers is flange diameter. The first 'sample' muffler has a 3 3/8" flange so that's what we built. Then we found a 3 9/16" flange on Gizmo so we made sure the different sizes fit together, and they do.

Here are the two different flavors of donuts after one year of running the new muffler.

20170703_210326.jpg 20170703_210320.jpg

1944mb

The problem is I'm always impaired one way or the other when I text/post-usually mentally! Well another busy day...yesterday we got "woody" home today it was the Canadian m207 home-"stretch"-with the stretched frame. No problems whatever so ever-well other than Paul about getting rattlesnake bit! I can definitely bear witness to the fact that he is quite effective at sending rattlesnakes to the infernal reaches! We are finally settled down-stripping trucks and parts down and getting to business on getting the m211 running. More to come!

Attachments

Another Ahab

Muffles the muffler man changed the original opposing flange angles by 3° and we're going to rotate the oval by a half inch to split the difference between the various mufflers we measured.
You can see the difference in the flange positions of two mufflers we plotted and it's a little surprising.

abc.jpg

1944mb

I know this is some kinda redneck cool and all....
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=678759&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1493787676

If you get tired of the termite bites, I seem to recall there is a decent body in KS. Retreval date is penned for early August!
Thanks Gentry, I'll keep that in mind! My goal is to initially get the 211 going, then after I would like to take the 135 and 207 and build a 135. The frame on the 207 is lengthened, so I'll probably look to build on the 135 frame. Glad to hear you are gonna be able to finally get back on top of stuff and get your parts truck home. Sounds like its been some rough months for yah.

USMC 00-08

I haven't been keeping up with you guys since we got here. We had a really nice drive up here to Montana.

We left out last Friday after work. Due to poor planning on my part, no motels were available after we got to the desired stopping point. The closest available motel was hours away so that would have put us at the motel around 5am. No point in stopping so I pulled an all nighter and drove 1300 miles without stopping.

We are making a lot of progress on Ben's trucks. His 207 has beautiful, new looking wire harness. We have that stripped off and partially into the 211 already.

Yes, the rattlesnake almost got me. He was a big boy. About 2.5 feet long and had 9 buttons. I really hate snakes. This guy refused to warn me of his presence by rattling. We engaged in mortal combat for a few minutes and all worked out well for me this time.

Dave those mufflers look great! I wish it would have worked out for you and Merle to make it to Ben's place. It is a real pleasure to work on these trucks with someone else that has a passion for them too. Almost doesn't feel like work.

I can't figure out how to post pics with my phone but looks like Ben has that part covered.

We hope to have the 211 started today.

1944mb

Well Saturday saw us saying our good byes to Paul and family. We had a great time, got some good family times and trips in. I haven't had time to sort through some video, I'm excited to say we got the 211 running and even driving! Saturday was an early morning-we were tearing around the pasture at 330am. Was even able to get the truck to shift into 3rd gear in high range. Have a bunch of little things to do to it yet-like getting it running on a fuel tank, not a fuel bottle hanging from the windshield. Paul could best be decided as a g749 warrior...we busted our tails on this truck-I'll post some more pics and video, and explanation as I get time this week. This is the resting spot after running out of fuel at 330am

Attachments

Another Ahab

Well Saturday saw us saying our good byes to Paul and family. We had a great time, got some good family times and trips in. I haven't had time to sort through some video, I'm excited to say we got the 211 running and even driving! Saturday was an early morning-we were tearing around the pasture at 330am. This is the resting spot after running out of fuel at 330am

abc.jpg

USMC 00-08

I'm finally getting rested back up from the trip north. We played hard, accomplished much and slept little. We had so much fun, but I am paying for it this week. Now that I am more rested, I figured I'd share some pictures and some more of the story.

First is the picture of the snake that almost got me. I may have understated his size. I am about 6' 3" 200+ pounds, so that will give you an idea of how big he was. This was during the recovery of Ben's M207.
25022.jpg

Here are pictures of getting ready to install the new engine. We both tackled different things that needed done and made awesome progress that way. The parts trucks came in handy. They supplied the under dash wire harness, intake/exhaust manifold and I was able to make one carburetor out of 2. Hopefully Ben will post before and after pictures of the under dash wiring as well as pics of the dash. The 211 was missing the light switch and some military gauges. The instrument panel had non original holes drilled in it so we traded it out with one that didn't.

20170704_202809.jpg20170705_211005.jpg20170705_210958.jpg

After the engine was ready, we mounted the transmission to it and set everything into the truck. Once that was done, it was dark.

20170707_203756.jpg20170707_203805.jpg20170707_203809.jpg

Our wives came down for a little while to see what was going on and got to see the engine start up. We have video of this and will have to post it later on. After we knew the engine would fire, we installed the grill, radiator, etc.

20170707_235749.jpg

The girls stuck with us until about midnight. Some of the old oil hoses kept blowing, so we had to replace those to continue. We finally got everything ready to go for a test drive around 3:30 am. We only had a little gas canister as our fuel source. The transfer case would not stay engaged unless one of us held the lever up. With Ben in the driver seat and me holding the transfer case lever up, we headed off for the pasture that is below the house. We got up to third gear in high range before we ran out of gas. At that point we decided to call it quits. Those trucks are sure loud with no exhaust pipes or muffler. Both of our wives are redheads so we figured we would face their wrath for waking them up as soon as we walked in the house. By some miracle, they had not even heard us driving around. We got to the house about 3:45, but I had to be up by 5 to head for home at 6 am. No point in going to bed at that point. I think I was up again for a total of 37 hours before we stopped in Denver on the way back to Oklahoma.

It was great to see another G749 come back to life!

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm finally getting rested back up from the trip north. We played hard, accomplished much and slept little. We had so much fun, but I am paying for it this week. Now that I am more rested, I figured I'd share some pictures and some more of the story.

First is the picture of the snake that almost got me. I may have understated his size. I am about 6' 3" 200+ pounds, so that will give you an idea of how big he was. This was during the recovery of Ben's M207.
View attachment 689973

Here are pictures of getting ready to install the new engine. We both tackled different things that needed done and made awesome progress that way. The parts trucks came in handy. They supplied the under dash wire harness, intake/exhaust manifold and I was able to make one carburetor out of 2. Hopefully Ben will post before and after pictures of the under dash wiring as well as pics of the dash. The 211 was missing the light switch and some military gauges. The instrument panel had non original holes drilled in it so we traded it out with one that didn't.

View attachment 689972View attachment 689970View attachment 689971

After the engine was ready, we mounted the transmission to it and set everything into the truck. Once that was done, it was dark.

View attachment 689969View attachment 689968View attachment 689967

Our wives came down for a little while to see what was going on and got to see the engine start up. We have video of this and will have to post it later on. After we knew the engine would fire, we installed the grill, radiator, etc.

View attachment 689966

The girls stuck with us until about midnight. Some of the old oil hoses kept blowing, so we had to replace those to continue. We finally got everything ready to go for a test drive around 3:30 am. We only had a little gas canister as our fuel source. The transfer case would not stay engaged unless one of us held the lever up. With Ben in the driver seat and me holding the transfer case lever up, we headed off for the pasture that is below the house. We got up to third gear in high range before we ran out of gas. At that point we decided to call it quits. Those trucks are sure loud with no exhaust pipes or muffler. Both of our wives are redheads so we figured we would face their wrath for waking them up as soon as we walked in the house. By some miracle, they had not even heard us driving around. We got to the house about 3:45, but I had to be up by 5 to head for home at 6 am. No point in going to bed at that point. I think I was up again for a total of 37 hours before we stopped in Denver on the way back to Oklahoma.

It was great to see another G749 come back to life!
That is awesome what you two accomplished, you busted butt.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Snakes hey, let's keep that story quiet! Sure glad it turned out the way it did. The wives would never let you boys play together again if you go off getting hurt. As it is, one of us is going to be telling the ladies "we're off to look at a truck".....and now the reply is going to be, "remember what happened in Big Timber, you're gonna get bit by a snake, you shouldn't go, do you have your cannon, take a cannon, I'm not coming with you....I won't watch you laying there moaning after I TOLD you not to get bit by a snake, do you need another truck so bad you'll risk dying, should I call life flight now."

Is this the first time 44MB drove a 135? It's just crazy what you guys did in a few days, wish I was there and appreciate all the pics and video.

After using the bobcat for the installation are there any tips and advice or things you'd do different?

1944mb

Snakes hey, let's keep that story quiet! Sure glad it turned out the way it did. The wives would never let you boys play together again if you go off getting hurt. As it is, one of us is going to be telling the ladies "we're off to look at a truck".....and now the reply is going to be, "remember what happened in Big Timber, you're gonna get bit by a snake, you shouldn't go, do you have your cannon, take a cannon, I'm not coming with you....I won't watch you laying there moaning after I TOLD you not to get bit by a snake, do you need another truck so bad you'll risk dying, should I call life flight now."
Is this the first time 44MB drove a 135? It's just crazy what you guys did in a few days, wish I was there and appreciate all the pics and video.

After using the bobcat for the installation are there any tips and advice or things you'd do different?
No I drove paul's 135 in OK. Was just funny cause here is two grown men at 330 in the morning, sitting side by side tearing around the pasture. What a person wont do to get a g749 back into operation. I've been super swamped with tthe heat, but hoping to get some fuel pumps working so I'm not running off a small fuel bottle.

Using the skid steer seems a little farmer like...not gonna lie. The engine and tranny coupled together is darn heavy, so I would be pretty concerned using a standard cherry picker to try and hoist one of these bad boys in and out. If a person was to use a cherry picker I would definitely search for a diesel rated hoist. Probably what I would view as the best apporach would be an A frame with a chain hoist. I think it would offer the most control. But maybe others have had good luck with a standard cherry picker. On my grandparents farm we used a farmhand or skid steer fairly often to remove engines, so its whatever works for yah. Not sure on weight, just don't underestimate it would be my advice!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks