• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GAA Grease

aboonski

Pint can of GAA grease

I was the lucky bidder on a can of GAA grease from an Ebay auction recently while in California visiting relatives. Thinking it would be a 5-gallon pail, I returned home and could not find it on or around my front-door area. When I went to pick up my mail from one of my neighbors, there was a small coffee can sized container wrapped in brown paper so I opened it to find my can of GAA grease. Photo attached........ It's hard to find this stuff in any quantity unless you buy for an Ebay seller and pay the outrageous shipping charges! I am trying to fill my Lube Trailer reservoir - at this rate it will take me years to do so!

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got at least one 5 gallon pail of GAA Allan, maybe more! I'll check when I get home tomorrow!

aboonski

KENNY!!!!

I will not admit to how much I paid for two 5-gallon pails of the stuff several months ago (from an Ebay seller). I know there must be a ton of it laying around in some retired (or deceased) civil servant's garage near me. I used to know a civilian out at Patrick AFB whose house would "come to attention" when you drove by because he had so much Property of US Government stuff stored there (which he scrounged from the base) - he's long gone now (deceased). I meant to ask the guy I bought the cans from if he had any GAA grease and forgot to do so when I was over there.

jollyroger

So it sounds like GAA is far superior to anything we can buy at the store/WallyWorld or at the implement dealer. I usually buy my lubes from John Deere because I run their equipment and it seems to be higher quality than what I get from WallyWorld. So if GAA is the stuff and a one size, mostly, fits all lube I will be looking for it.

markaroe

Status of Improved GAA MIL-G-10924 Grease.pdf

Grease your Equipment, Bearings, chasis, hair, girlfriend or whatever.

See Attached

Study on GAA Grease done in February 1984

MIL-PRF-10924H REPLACEMENT FOR MIL-G-10924

MIL-PRF10924H MSDS

Mobil Synthetic Specs for consideration as a replacement.

Guide to Mill Specs of fluids, grease and solid film lubricants.
This document has the MIL-PRF-10924F SPECIFICATION and successful teste result critera for the "F" revision of GAA MIL-G-10924.
I believe the Current revision is MIL-PRF-10294H

It does not appear that any have been declared obsolete and compatibility charts show them as being partially to fully compatible.

All appearances indicate Mr Bagwell is correct.

Mobile One Synthetic is an advanced lithium-complex thickened, multi-purpose NLGI Grade 2 grease. which meets and exceedes the Mil Spec

I went and bought 4 tubes of Mobile one tonight to try on the front end. It is supposed to be "stickier" than other greases and have better water resistance.

Attachments

Last edited:

SMOKEWAGON66

So what ive gathered from this thread is that GAA is lithium, not compatible with Moly, its expensive, and its everone's preference. Is it really that much BETTER then civi market grease like Lucas oil products? I was an 88m in the army for 8 yrs and used GAA ALOT and i was always under the impression that it was a generic, low budget, lowest bidder product bought by a hasty govt official who had a buddy with a Grease business that need a sweet govt contract....is there civi market stuff out there that would work just as well?

markaroe

Lubricants USA - Grease Compatibility Chart

Heres a compatibility chart some forms of lithium and calcium are incompatible, others arent.

This is the one the got me started looking. Keep In mind it has nothing to do with Mil Spec.

Look at all of the attachements in my post (#48 and you will find that they do support this conclusion though. In regard to MIL-G-10924 and MIL-PRF10924H .

GAA has evolved and I believe the current revision is "F"

This research is why I went with Mobile 1.

Last edited:

CobraCDR

So after all this discussion about 'what' GAA is, the next questions is WHERE can you get it? Has anyone determined where you can buy / order new GAA from the manufacturer or a parts store? The military isn't going away and will be needing this stuff for years to come, so you know it's still being produced. The question is, who makes it so we can get it????

rolling18

yea id like to get a tube for Zerk fittings .
i just ordered a minimum quantity of 20 tubes of the gaa so i will be selling off most of the other tubes

Last edited:

rolling18

CobraCDR

Thanks! Have you tried their NOS GAA? I'm still searching to see if anyone sells it new. I'll post if I find a vendor. If not, I'll end up going with the NOS from sprucemountain.

wsucougarx

You may want to hold onto the extra tubes. Good for bearings also. Plus it is inevitable you'll be looking for truck number two and three down the road...lol trust me it'll happen:p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks