• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gas or Diesel?

russ81

I have a `59 Reo that I just finished bobing. The first question I have is should I keep the OA 331 gas engine, or swap out for a diesel? I don't know anything about this particular engine, and I don't know if it is worth spending the time and money on. Second question is if I do keep this old gasser, how available are the parts, and will I spend a fortune on rebuilding it if I have to?

Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. Also, I would love to hear every ones opinion of this particular engine, and how it would perform in a bobed duce with 16 x 20 tires.........new wheels will arrive next week!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My opinion - drop in a diesel from an A2, and sell off the gas engine to someone restoring a gasser truck. I think you'll like the performance upgrade.

54reo

...another gasser gone...

Although, it is your truck and it looks like you did a good job. As stated above, sell the gasser to a collector.

beaubeau

Russ81, There are a number of Diesels U can put in that truck. U can put in a Cummins, 5.9 would fit nicely, U can put in an International DT360, which is a nice running engine and available in large #s." Schoolbus Motor",How about a" ScreamingJimmy", Detroit 6-71,Or even a Deutz 6 Cyl Turbo !!?? Also remember, it may cost a little more for Diesel, but U go further with a gallon of Diesel than a Gallon of gas. Good Luck, Phil