• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gauges question

The G Man

I am interested in any experiences you all may have had putting gaugesin CUCV's. I used the search, however there is not a whole lot on there about it. Trying to do my research now some I can order and have parts onhand to do after installing my block heater and the Starter Relay mod.

Pics would be nice as well as any tech tips. I have not figured out yet if I want to mount them in place of idiot lights, or in addition to. I just know I feel alot more comfortable with a gauges ability to help identify issues before they become major problems.

Any info appreciated. What would y'alls choice be for types of Gauges and manufacture/ styles? Someone said they used ones from Harbor Freight, wondering how this held up. Right now I am leaning to dual voltage gauges, oil pressure, water temp, Trans temp and a Tach.

Thanks in advance for the help from all you smarter on this subject than I that I will get.

:lost: on this subject

cucv1833

heres a pic of my gauges i still have to clean it up its not complete
the bottom gauges are oil temp and pressure u can get them at auto zone everything u need in the pack. The TM -34p shows u where the sending units are on the engine block
i think mines hooked up on the back driver side on the block

Attachments

48cj2a

G Man - I'm in the middle of swapping 6.2s between truck and plan a stock gauge cluster from another 87 GM Diesel truck.

We just got the beginnings of the winter cold and snow and I'm doing this outside in Illinois so waiting for a day off with sunny day to get back on it but will report with my findings.

If I can get it running I can pull inside my main garage to do the inside work but the engine work must be done out side.

I don't have a picture handy... but I used a set of Z series gauges from Autometer. They had the black bezel, the orange indicator, and black face with white analog lettering. I think it looks pretty close to the original speedometer. I put them in the top two spots like 1833 did his.

I did the oil and the water temp. I used electrical gauges to replace the mechanical ones the previous owner used. I did not like the large hole in the firewall.

I tied into the existing dash lights for the lights to be light when the lights are engaged/on. I ran power from one of the existing power sources that was hot when the truck was on, but off when the truck was off. The ground I made a separate connection to the original source ground on the left side of dash wall.

Shoot me a PM if you need more details. It took me a good 8 hours to do all this... but I was meticulous in soldiering my connections and applying cement and then taping ( I don't do squeeze/crimp connectors). I also took time to bundle existing wire looms (flex tubing and taping them up).

ranchhopper

You can use a stock gauge cluster from any 73-87 chevy truck but I believe the oil pressure gauge in the 73-75 trucks is mechanical which in my opinion is the better way to go. Remember when you convert to gauges the sending units on the donor truck have to be used because the ones on the 6.2 are set up for the idiot lights.

48cj2a

You can use a stock gauge cluster from any 73-87 chevy truck but I believe the oil pressure gauge in the 73-75 trucks is mechanical which in my opinion is the better way to go. Remember when you convert to gauges the sending units on the donor truck have to be used because the ones on the 6.2 are set up for the idiot lights.
Someone on another forum told me there would be some re-pin issues on the cluster plug. Is this true or is it plug and play with exception to the senders.

My replacement 6.2 has the senders in the block and was planning to use the same gauge cluster from that truck.

ranchhopper

Just plug the connector into the gauge cluster all your changing is the idiot light senders to gauge senders on the engine they will plug right to the original wires.

48cj2a

Makes sense but I assumed the connector was wired special for:

Volt meter on right where the A/C vent or cubby hole should be on a civy -which will now be moved on the upper left side where the 4 wheel drive indicator is

oil pressure is in the correct spot

water temp will now be where gen 2 is

So is this all done through the printed circuit overlay specifically for the CUCV cluster and nothing is different on the actual cluster harness plug?

Armada

I would suggest installing an engine coolant temp gauge as this is the most important reading to monitor in my opinion. It doesn't take alot to overheat a 6.2 in the cucv when towing, climbing a long grade, etc., especially in the 1009. A leak in the head gasket will be the first thing you get...

Attachments

1986Blazerk5

I put the water temp gauge where the voltmeter goes, the voltmeter wasn't working anyway, the sensor goes on the drivers side below the heads there is a picture where it goes if you remove that sensor your idiot light wont turn on, as for the oil pressure gauge i put that next to the water temp gauge i used a hole saw to cut out a new hole for the gauge, the hookup is by the drivers side radiator, there is a valve there by the engine coolant reservoir there is a pic of that to.

Attachments

ODdave

Sorry to pee on the party but it is NOT plug and play with the O.E. clusters. the pin out is different. (ask me how i know) if it was this easy everyone who isnt a purist would have gauges.......

OLDCHEV4X4

I'm gonna use 2 1/16 Auto Meter gauges. I think they are the best and you can get them at Jegs or Summit.
I also plan on installing a radio, so that spot is taken. So water temp will go next to the stock voltage gauge, and the oil pressure will probably be mounted to the bottom of the dash somewhere with a single gauge mount.

ODdave

ok...I'll bite

How do you know and what do you know?
tried it, didnt work. Kinna figured it wouldn't. Had to re-pin the conector. the first vehical i did was a 85 cutlass (442 gauge swap) and that one i even had to add wires to. since then i just try to find the wire harnesses and change them out. Either way its a pita.

P.S. there are a LOT more different clusters than you would think for this body style truck..........even 2wd and 4wd are different. (im curious to know who knows the diff 8))

rodman68

Tried to install my mechanical gauge today and it was a no go the probe is too long and I cant tighten the nut and the adapter wont fit the block so I am not sure if a different adapter will work or I need a different gauge. Any other options?