• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Geared hub drain plug removal advice

MattNC

once you get it out you can replace with a square-headed plug from the hardware store. I am blanking on the thread size and pitch but it makes it much easier to do service in the future instead of a recessed allen style. I have an example of what I am talking about below.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You want to have the OEM magnetic plugs, that way you can see any bearing failures coming your way and the magnet extends the bearing life by capturing particles that would normally circulate causing more damage.
There is NOTHING wrong with the original plugs, ALL failures are due to piss poor practices, not cleaning the plug correctly before trying to remove them, using the wrong tool to begin with and over tightening are the major factors.

Last edited:

nairb

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Success with the Ridgid set. I think the vertical splines are the key to this set, it grabs really well. It also helps that it doesn't break off when extracting. I did try some Hanson multi spline extractors first but they didn't grab deep enough and ended up just widening the hole in the soft metal.

I was able to fish out the magnet from the old plug but I'm worried about other metal shavings left behind in there so I'm going to wait for magnetic plugs to come in before I put it back together.

Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 4.16.54 PM.png

springer1981

Success with the Ridgid set. I think the vertical splines are the key to this set, it grabs really well. It also helps that it doesn't break off when extracting. I did try some Hanson multi spline extractors first but they didn't grab deep enough and ended up just widening the hole in the soft metal.

I was able to fish out the magnet from the old plug but I'm worried about other metal shavings left behind in there so I'm going to wait for magnetic plugs to come in before I put it back together.

View attachment 885167
This is truly my favorite extractor set. I have used them for many years on so many different stuck, stripped, frozen and broken bolts over the years. The key is to make sure you slide the nut on all the way to the stuck bolt. Congrats on your extraction.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks