• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 1 dumb question #1

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought the O'Reily Part Number: 01-0136
1975 Caddy Commercial - 100amp alternator for the drivers side of my M1009 but where do I hook up the ground wire? There is no ground post on the rear of the case like on the original.

David

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That specific alternator is grounded through it's mounting bolts. That is why it only works on the drivers side in a CUCV. No need for the ground wire with it.

Never use that alternator on the other side!

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks!

Thanks Doghead, with working on these things in the past I find it better to ask BEFORE installation! :beer:

David

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alt 1

Hey John, I tried to call yesterday but didn't get you. I was trying to work this out on my own without bothering you! :-DI did see that bolt on the back of the Gen and thought it would work. The Gen that was on the truck I took off because the pulley was making a lot of noise but it was the original Alt and was rebuilt a year ago by the PO. I ended up re-installing the original Gen 1 and it sounded fine. :cookoo:So now the other one is a back up for the driver’s side.

If I do install the new Gen in the future what should I do with the small black and white ground wire? Find another ground?

David