• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator install: connecting different gauge wire

bones1

I did a dumb thing and read some more posts and found this about grounds ''Andy the generator frame can and should be connected to a ground rod, the important thing in most transfer switch installations is that the generator neutral to frame ground strap be disconnected so the only neutral to ground bonding takes place at the service entrance. Again this is in most situations.
Mine is on a trailer if that maters.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being on a trailer won't matter. A ground rod isn't mandatory but good to do. As long as you are using a 4 wire cable you will remove the bonding strap at the generator.

bones1

Thanks. I will try to find the bonding strap and remove it tomorrow. I will make the cable from the house outlet to the generator Monday night and I will be using 6/4 soow cable. At the generator I will connect to l1, l3, L0 neutral and connect the ground wire to the trailer ground point or the large ground on the gen. They are both connected together now anyway..

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks