• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator Shed Plans

Ranger Danger

Hay everybody, the new guy here. I'm looking for a thread that had a set of plan designs for a custom built shed for a MEP generator. I just don't seem to be able to find them. They are for a building to house the genset with an intake and exhaust plenum as well as a aux. muffler I am planning on building one for a MEP-803 I am picking up. Any help would be appreciated.

Ranger Danger

Thanks for the reply. The Hardy solar one is close to what I'm looking for except that I want a plenum that buts up to the generator case on both ends. Then I'd like to put a gable vent fan on the intake side that runs when ever the genny is running. I thought I saw a drawing of one like that. I'm sure I could modify this one to work. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Before you get to carried away. Wait until the unit arrives. The MEP-803A is not really loud in comparison to generators which you might have heard running. A lot also will have to do with access to each of the panels. Maybe just a lean too roof over head.

Welcome to the forums. If you have any issues, read through the forums. Someone might have had that issue already.

as always, read through,
MEP-802/803 Filters and Parts
Military MEP generator reset information (PDF page 29 fuse mod)

Download all your manuals too.

Ranger Danger

Thanks. The area i'm in is full of old crodgedy folks so quiet is essential to a happy life. The generator im running now is a Yamaha 3000 ieb that has a db of 60-62 and I've had a complaint or two. I'd like to get it down to around 52-54db. If the old farts cant live with that then to heck with them��.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There seems to be considerably more vibration on my mep 002a trailer mount then my 803a trailer mount. Have a friend who wants to pad mount his 002a and enclose, any thoughts on absorbers to help with vibrations?

As always THANKS
Bob

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There seems to be considerably more vibration on my mep 002a trailer mount then my 803a trailer mount. Have a friend who wants to pad mount his 002a and enclose, any thoughts on absorbers to help with vibrations?

As always THANKS
Bob
How about cutting some squares from an old nylon cord tire and build up a few under the genset.?

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe there is considerable harmonic vibration on the older 002 & 003! I know when we unloaded 003a at my friends house and placed next to his house (within 3' in outside corner) it sifted fill through his stone foundation! We trailer (snow mobile) mounted it works fine! Preparing for permanent slab/shelter mount, considering mechanical vibration idolaters????
QUOTE=Farmitall;2106548]How about cutting some squares from an old nylon cord tire and build up a few under the genset.?[/QUOTE]

Chainbreaker

Welcome! I've been to Vacaville a couple of times a while back. Nice area.

With an 803 you could probably get by with a 3 sided lean-to type affair (as suggested earlier) with open side facing your house to attenuate the sound on the 3 sides facing neighbors. It's always nice to be able to take a quick look out and see the generator while its running (no smoke, no flames...lol). Not to mention having quick ease of access to genset for refueling and routine maintenance aspects. Maybe design it so that you could add a 4th wall to it later if needed. 4th wall could be a wall that is something like a double barn door that opens up the entire side.

Speaking of flames...where are you going to position the structure? I would consider using flame resistant materials (mineral wool etc.) just in case you ever were to have a generator fire. There was a structure in our area a while back that caught fire due to a generator fire. So it can happen!

Ranger Danger

I live in Vacaville now but my property is outside of Pollack pines. I plan to use fire rated sheet rock on all the interior walls. I plan to elevate the genset about 18 inches for ease of maintanance and vibration control.
Vacaville is a nice little town because our law enforcement won't take any crap from the unwanted elements��

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sound on a TQG goes up more than out. So keep it away from something that will reflect sound. You can use fiberglass sound board and coat it with clear flex seal which will keep the exit air from working apart the fiberglass material. I use 1" or 2" inside the hoods I build for the 802 and 803. Hoods are used primarily to keep the noise from reaching into second story rooms above the generator and they also replace the need for a shelter since water cannot get into the top. Other than that you can build a wall of sand bags around it and you will not hear it.

Guyfang

Staff member
Thanks for the reply. The Hardy solar one is close to what I'm looking for except that I want a plenum that buts up to the generator case on both ends. Then I'd like to put a gable vent fan on the intake side that runs when ever the genny is running. I thought I saw a drawing of one like that. I'm sure I could modify this one to work. Thanks again.
Just don't build it toooooooooo much into you construction. Think about having to pull the radiator. If you have enclosed the get set with "building" and Plenum, and who knows what, getting at it might not be so simple.

There is a world of difference between your Yamaha and this 803A. Try it out first, THEN plan it out.

I am a card carting OLD FART. Try and be nice to me. I would not care a bit if you ran a greyhound bus all day and night. I simply take out my hearing aids. So not all old folks are a PITA.

Guyfang

Staff member
YouTuber ZEBCO ROD has a nice video of his upgrades he did for his 802 which includes a shed for fuel and a lean-to for the genny. He lives completely off-grid.

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR7w4dnXrXM
My problem with this set up is if you have to work on the set, you better be a midget. There is room to do a few things, but consider changing oil there. Or changing K1. I can not image how fun that would be. He should have given himself some more room. And if you live someplace COLD, some walls sure would have been nice. In my experience, when ever the darn thing breaks, the weather gods are looking down and laughing their butts off at you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks