• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generators at GL ?

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you see what the 60kw's and 100kw brought? $16, 20, 30, for 60KW's and $55K for a 100kw..... wow... guess I need to get my jenny's up for sale.
Howdy,
I would say with what has happened in the last 3 weeks... people need power. Paying big bucks too. Unknown running condition.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sold my very nice / perfect HQ MEP-806 last week for 20K with shipping 510 hour on it. Perfect condition with not a scratch on it. Next ones are going on GovPlanet!!! 803A's are going around 5k with buyer commissions that needed work.

csheath

I bought my unit just a couple months after Hurricane Hermine. Mine isn't perfectly straight and had a forklift gouge with 2600 hours on the clock. I had overlooked the gouge and figured that was why I got it so low. I was focused on the engine and generator head pics which were much cleaner than a lot of units they had.

A while back they sold a bunch of raggedy looking parts machines and some of those brought as much as I paid for my 2006.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you determined what your actual needs are? If you dont need 16kw, or anywhere near it (I suspect you actually use a fraction of this!)... you are going to be needlessly chewing fuel. Your dollars though.

Guyfang

Staff member
Everyone is trying to point you in the right direction. So pay attention here. First you need to know what you need. You can, walk around the house looking at, and writing down what the individual loads are of all your electrical equipment is. Then total them up, add maybe 10% SWAG, and use that figure to decide what size gen set you need. Or, get someone who knows how, and has the right test equipment, to hook up amp meters to see what you power consumption is. Don't think you can just look at the meter outside your house and guess from there. At an given time of the day consumption is different. How ever you do it, first know what you need. Then look for a gen set to fit your needs, not put money in someone else's pocket. It's no good getting a set that that puts out, say 15kw, when your biggest load is 5-6 kW. Wasted fuel and higher cost for the gen set. Take a step back from the plate and do the math first. Spend the money you save, on good beer.

boatman69

All the way out there they need a darn good generator. I would set them up with a Northern Lights plant. They are very large in the Marine industry, parts should be no problem.

Jboulay

Everyone is trying to point you in the right direction. So pay attention here. First you need to know what you need. You can, walk around the house looking at, and writing down what the individual loads are of all your electrical equipment is. Then total them up, add maybe 10% SWAG, and use that figure to decide what size gen set you need. Or, get someone who knows how, and has the right test equipment, to hook up amp meters to see what you power consumption is. Don't think you can just look at the meter outside your house and guess from there. At an given time of the day consumption is different. How ever you do it, first know what you need. Then look for a gen set to fit your needs, not put money in someone else's pocket. It's no good getting a set that that puts out, say 15kw, when your biggest load is 5-6 kW. Wasted fuel and higher cost for the gen set. Take a step back from the plate and do the math first. Spend the money you save, on good beer.
Ok.will do.

Here s one but way too big at 15kw and not enough info

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/hvo/d/2008-fermont-turbo-diesel/6285041177.html

Last edited:

CT-Mike

As others have said, you are really wasting your time, and potentially money down the road due to excess fuel consumption, until you add up the loads in your home and figure out your needs.

For me, I divided loads into Critical (must have), Nice to have, and luxury items.

Critical loads consist of HVAC (wife has severe asthma and heat/humidity and cold air set her off), well pump (water and toilets), fridge, garage fridge, and freezer (prevent food spoilage).

Nice to have includes lights in living room and master bedroom, TV, cable modem, router (useful for knowing what's going on with storms, hurricanes, etc). Stove is dual fuel (gas cooktop, electric oven) so the cooktop needs very little power to operate. But I also have a large 3 burner propane camp stove (runs off 20# bottle), 36" Blackstone propane griddle, and a couple of Big Green Eggs so I have plenty of cooking options.

Luxury items that aren't powered are the hot tub, the electric dryer, and the electric oven in the stove.

Bottom line is you need to do your research first and figure out your needs before you buy too big or too small of a generator. If you aren't willing to do that, there are plenty of electricians out there that will do the legwork for you, at a price of course.

Jboulay

As others have said, you are really wasting your time, and potentially money down the road due to excess fuel consumption, until you add up the loads in your home and figure out your needs.

For me, I divided loads into Critical (must have), Nice to have, and luxury items.

Critical loads consist of HVAC (wife has severe asthma and heat/humidity and cold air set her off), well pump (water and toilets), fridge, garage fridge, and freezer (prevent food spoilage).

Nice to have includes lights in living room and master bedroom, TV, cable modem, router (useful for knowing what's going on with storms, hurricanes, etc). Stove is dual fuel (gas cooktop, electric oven) so the cooktop needs very little power to operate. But I also have a large 3 burner propane camp stove (runs off 20# bottle), 36" Blackstone propane griddle, and a couple of Big Green Eggs so I have plenty of cooking options.

Luxury items that aren't powered are the hot tub, the electric dryer, and the electric oven in the stove.

Bottom line is you need to do your research first and figure out your needs before you buy too big or too small of a generator. If you aren't willing to do that, there are plenty of electricians out there that will do the legwork for you, at a price of course.
10kw is what I need.

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, that's a start. I would imagine, that getting one right now might be hard and expensive. So what you need to do now, is decide what kind you want. Get someone to help you decide where and how you want to install it. Talk to several electricians, get a feel for what it might cost, for the hookup gear. What you want for bells and whistles. Plan out if you need to do load management. Get all these kind of things done, and in the mean time, prices and availability of generators might come back to normal. There are several good threads, more then several, read them. Decide what sounds good, and what doesn't. Get smart about the whole thing. Or pay someone else to do it.

Tokiozulu

Our house has one of those new fangled digital power meters that has an instantanious kW reading. I've been monitoring it lately to see what size gen to get. It's a pretty big all elec house with 2 x 3 ton ac comps - one for rooms and one for common areas. Meter runs anywhere from 1.6kw with no ac to 16+ kW. I've opted for an 802a 5kw unit. Plan to install soft or will try hard start on the ac comps and manage power. Room ac at nights - common area unit in the day - pool pump can go on when the ac is off etc. I don't want to be dealing with twice the fuel the 10kw unit would suck and wet stacking would probably be an issue if I didn't manage power in an additive way. We just had a week without power on the HD special screamer gas job so I'm looking forwards to receiving the unit I won at auction this evening. Hope there is nothing wrong with it.

Chainbreaker

...I've opted for an 802a 5kw unit. Plan to install soft or will try hard start on the ac comps and manage power. Room ac at nights - common area unit in the day - pool pump can go on when the ac is off etc. I don't want to be dealing with twice the fuel the 10kw unit would suck and wet stacking would probably be an issue if I didn't manage power in an additive way. We just had a week without power on the HD special screamer gas job so I'm looking forwards to receiving the unit I won at auction this evening. Hope there is nothing wrong with it.
Congrats on your auction win! Sounds like you have a good handle on how to operate when on generator power. If your 802a were to need repairs the guys here are very helpful in assisting with troubleshooting.

Jboulay

Is below on ct Craigslist a good. Let me add here it's description in case link is removed:

"10KW DIESEL QUIET MILITARY GENERATOR 120 220 V AC SINGLE PHASE - $5000 "

"Have military quiet diesel generators. Serviced and load tested. 10kw cont duty rated can do 12k. 120v or 120/220v switchable. Single phase. Can also be switched to 120/208 3ph. Can freight ship to FL to business address or to freight terminal and you can pick it up with a small truck. will atpawnking dotcom for freight pricing"

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/for/d/10kw-diesel-quiet-military/6308317050.html

jamawieb

You're craigslist post doesn't tell us a lot. Be nice to see pictures of the inside and the tags, to see if it's been reset. $5,000 is high in my opinion. I just sold 2 803a's (one on a trailer and both with 1,000 hours) to a gentlemen in Florida for $6,200. He was from the Orlando area and drove to pick them up. Now I don't make huge profits on them, I just enjoy working on them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks