• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generators at GL ?

Guyfang

Staff member
Did you see anyplace where it said 60 hertz? Or 60 Cycle? Because if you didnt, it could be a 400 hertz, or 400 cycle. Something you cant use.

Jboulay

Our house has one of those new fangled digital power meters that has an instantanious kW reading. I've been monitoring it lately to see what size gen to get. It's a pretty big all elec house with 2 x 3 ton ac comps - one for rooms and one for common areas. Meter runs anywhere from 1.6kw with no ac to 16+ kW. I've opted for an 802a 5kw unit. Plan to install soft or will try hard start on the ac comps and manage power. Room ac at nights - common area unit in the day - pool pump can go on when the ac is off etc. I don't want to be dealing with twice the fuel the 10kw unit would suck and wet stacking would probably be an issue if I didn't manage power in an additive way. We just had a week without power on the HD special screamer gas job so I'm looking forwards to receiving the unit I won at auction this evening. Hope there is nothing wrong with it.
Hi Tokiozulu.

When you say " Meter runs anywhere from 1.6kw with no ac to 16+ kW"

Do you mean at 16kw , both of 2 ACs are running? or meter can peak at 16kw even without 2 acs on?

Also how many square foot in living space is your house? My house is about 1800 s f living space if that even matters.

I just don't see how a 5kw unit can meet all your demands stated above..but I'm not an expert, so I maybe wrong . As for me , practicality and peace of mind is important, sort of "set it and forget it" king of way, and I don't want to be enslaved to have to worry about load management constantly. So, since my unit will be for emergency use only for now, reasonable fuel use of a 10kw unit maybe ok for now.

I also have a digital meter , so I will do same exercise and let you all know.

Last edited:

Tokiozulu

House is 4500 sq'. Yes, 16 kW is with everything firing that you may expect on a hot day. Probably even higher if you are using the electric stove and washer dryer. I'm sure with everything firing the meter would go beyond 20 kW but in a hurricane/ emergency situation I'm happy to manage power and not have the extra fuel burn burden and problems with wet stacking. 5kw will be plenty for essential services and I can easily flip a breaker if we need to wash clothes etc.

Jboulay

My digital meter show about 16kw peak with the following running:

1 Electric stove (volts unknown) with 4 burner running
1 4-ton ac (240 volts)
1 pool pump (240 volts)
1 Washing machine (120v)
1 1000watts microwave
1 fridge
2 ceiling fans
1 computer
2 tvs
11 room lights
1 in-ground pool pump (240v)

Any idea how many kw unit would be ok?

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To run that load with some headroom to start the HVAC compressor as it cycled on and off you'd be looking at something in the 20kw range.

Jboulay

I'm still researching. I'm sure I will not put electric store running on genset, i just wanted to see peak load estimates.

Check out below very informative
you tube video below

https://youtu.be/QNo1mUCpQnI

Or go on YouTube and search for
"Mep-802a vs consumer generator"

I like video a lot so I want to save it on my laptop for future reference in case it's deleted from you tube so anyone here knows how to save tube vids? I mean save the .mp3 file itself ..I'm not going to use it for commercial use, so I'm sure it's ok to save without violating you tube policy.

Last edited:

Jboulay

Good notes below: from another thread titled 802a vs 803a

"
DieselAddict said:
02-01-2015 12:07
I can offer my opinion. My thoughts are based on more than 25 years working as an engineer and for the last 16 years as a facility engineer. Utilities have been my day job for a long time. That includes managing many MW of diesel power.

In the world of generators the depreciation curve is pretty steep. Much like when you drive a car off the lot when you bolt a generator to the pad you kiss 25% of its value goodbye. From there by the time the machine is 10yrs old its value is based more on its scrap value than its hour meter or functional state. The reason for that is pretty simple. A generator is for most of us a device that needs to work when other things are failing to work. That is why the generators at the plant where I worked are run twice a month. Readiness is important. These machines degrade to the point of failure even when they are not being used. The probability of failure increases over time. Entropy at work.

Even though your generators may have never been deployed they are not new. You are putting all the risk of failure on the buyer. Additionally they do not use a fuel source that will appeal to the average buyer of residential standby generators. They are not powerful enough to be of value to many commercial users or for rental portable power. The market you will be going after is a lot more narrow than you might think. I would recommend doing some research on the potential market that would express interest in these machines. I think you'll find you are currently amongst them right now and there will be fewer of them on craigslist. The downside of this group of potential clients is we know more about the market conditions of these machines than the general public. We will be a harder sell.

That is why I think to be successful in moving them the price will need to be in the $3k range ($3k-$4k). More than that and they won't be competitive when you stack them up against other 5kw generators.

I'm not bashing your attempt to sell them. I hope you do sell them. I don't think they will sell for more than $4k though. Thats strictly my opinion.
Chris Medico
MEP-003a (sold "

NATCAD

Is below mep803a for sale with 4000 hrs
a good deal?
http://teamequip.com/libby-corp-mep-803a-diesel-fueled-10-kw-millitary-generator-set-t100744/
Based on dieseladdict's comment above,
What's a fair price for 802a and 803a on Craigslist or someone reselling them or from a Gov liquidator action type site?
Like DA said if it runs well it could be worth it. I would expect brand new or at least functional batteries in the unit for that price however.

If there are no batteries - how have they been using it? maybe they haven't?

I would take $300-$400 off the price for the batteries

1800 Diesel

Jboulay

The meter on that one actually reads 5168 hrs, but you never know when engines are rebuilt or swapped out unless you had access to the unit's logbook. Looking at the interior photos, I see a high-hour unit with rust showing near the lower end of the engine & the generator. Possibly it's been on a beach somewhere with a little salt water exposure. For that particular unit I'd pass on it and continue looking for other options.

BTW, I sent you a PM earlier this morning, but will soon be offline for a few hours...

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good notes below: from another thread titled 802a vs 803a

"
DieselAddict said:
02-01-2015 12:07
We do need to keep in mind that markets have a strong emotional component. My comments quoted are from the standpoint of a market mostly free from external emotional forces. Forces such as we are currently experiencing in the wake of multiple hurricane strikes.

The market in your area may not be a rational market. You'll need to be extra vigilant in your search for the right generator. Look for corrosion, carbon arcing, and signs of abuse (and a very long list of other things). Make sure it starts easily cold and will pull its full rated load without drama.

Its not much different than the used car market. There are a few gems in and among a lot of rubble. Shop carefully and deliberately.

NATCAD

We do need to keep in mind that markets have a strong emotional component. My comments quoted are from the standpoint of a market mostly free from external emotional forces. Forces such as we are currently experiencing in the wake of multiple hurricane strikes.

The market in your area may not be a rational market. You'll need to be extra vigilant in your search for the right generator. Look for corrosion, carbon arcing, and signs of abuse (and a very long list of other things). Make sure it starts easily cold and will pull its full rated load without drama.

Its not much different than the used car market. There are a few gems in and among a lot of rubble. Shop carefully and deliberately.
Hey, the market is always rational, we just had irrational actors that use it :), and the efficient market these days includes the fear selling news, and the doomsdayers and the rational-irrational fears that result! The utility of generators seems to be very high right now.

jamawieb

That price on the 5168 hour unit is high. I just sold an 803a with 2600hours for $2500 with new optima red tops. But I will say that prices at the auction have been increasing and prices are around $2,000 plus before taxes now.

Jboulay

That price on the 5168 hour unit is high. I just sold an 803a with 2600hours for $2500 with new optima red tops. But I will say that prices at the auction have been increasing and prices are around $2,000 plus before taxes now.
Hello Jana. Do you have any more 803a for about $2,500?

Jboulay

Hello Jamawieb .

Do you have anymore mep-803a for sale with similar hours for around $2,500?

jamawieb

Hello Jamawieb .

Do you have anymore mep-803a for sale with similar hours for around $2,500?
I've got one a trailer that will be $2500 with around 3000 hours but it looks to have a new engine. I can't confirm the new engine but looks new compared to the genset. The trailer is junk, the pintle hitch is twisted slightly. It will also have 2 new optima red tops when I'm finished.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks