• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

genorator just caught fire help

Crackerjax

well it looks as if im screwed the little black box on top of the gen caught fire melting all the wires comeing out the back of the gen luckly my wife was with me and we carry 2 fire extinguithers (sp?) sorry just happened 3 min ago now im looking for a tow home and i need a new gen anyone have any leads on one and some wires thanks

josh

scooter01922

On second thought, the headlights won't last too long without charging, might need to wait for daylight. Depends on how far from home you are.

Last edited:

FreightTrain

Banned
The lights will last a couple hours without a charge.Plus you can pull over when you think they are getting too dim and then call a tow. shorter haul cheaper tow if you don't make it home....unless teh batteries are dead already.

FreightTrain

Banned
Leave the Alternator on it.If it doesn't catch fire again your good to go.Can't really pull the belts since the water pump is also run by the same belt.

tm america

leave the belts on just dont turn the power switch on the dash back on you should be good to go .if the lights get dim pull over and jump the batteries one at a time with another vehicle then get back at it:roll:

scooter01922

Right, thats the reg. As long as nothing is shorting and your charge gauge isn't pegged out in the charging direction you should be fine. At the very worst case scenario you pull back over and get that tow, every mile counts on one of those bills.

FreightTrain

Banned
Contact Wreckerman on here.He might have a good used one laying around.You will need a 60 amp alternator not a 25amp Generator.The Genny was used on the older trucks with the regulator on teh firewall.The Alternator had it built onto the top of the actual case.

FreightTrain

Banned
Could have been a bad alternator.Check the batteries too.Make sure the contacts look good and not burned.Did you notice your gauge going nuts or did it stick in teh green one minute and the next you saw a rosey red glow from the passenger side of the truck?

Crackerjax

all green on the guage ill check the batts in the am i noticed the smell and i pulled into a gas station and the magic blue smoke was pouring out and as soon as i got the bonnet open the flames started comeing out of the reglator and windings the wife had and abc extinguisher and put it out while i was killing the fuel good thing we have drilled about engine fires before she did great next im going to install a halon sytem like i have been planning

FrankUSMC

I would call John Winslow first about getting a alternator. There is no way the fire is Winslows fault, but since he sold you the truck he might give you a good deal on the alternator. I have never bought any thing from John, but I have never heard any one say a bad thing about him or his sells. Give him a call Monday.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
PS, be careful with the Halon, we lost a Marine here who just got small breath of the stuff in his lungs. Also, I have fought fires with Halon, it will not stop the fire from reflashing after you put it out. I still like the ABC extengushers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks