• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting ready to paint

sermis

Well I am ready to make the BIG UGLY look nicer. I have pulled the bed, removed and dismounted the wheels and tires and if the heat does not kill me I will blast, do some body work, and paint. I bought the paint from RAPCO, Marine Corp simi gloss 24052.
I have no body or painting work experance so I will be asking questions.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You go for it Sermis. The joy of working on these things is they are alot like painting a house. You clean, scrape and paint with whatever you have be it a brush, roller or paint gun. I love the 052 colors, my wrecker will be 34052. I think most anything else I get will also fall prey to the 34052. She looks good with the new rolling stock as well. That might be the best combo I've seen yet. Nice float tire but a stock appearing wheel. I like it.

ida34

I like the five ton hard top. Gives you some some extra shade from the sun. Good luck on the painting.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if that extra width of the top scoops in air when going down the road? Pretty cool. Also note that the Ouverson hubs don't look nearly as odd with the M135 wheels.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, if there ever was a truck that needed to be repainted, this gecko is it. Current camo job looks like it was applied by a bunch of frat party drunks early Sunday morning after a party - by opening their mouths and releasing the lunch.

ida34

Re: RE: Getting ready to paint

Latrine_Commander said:
A 5 ton hard top is the same size at the 2.5 ton. Same cab, doors, etc. That is a 900 series hard top.

John
Last time I checked, 900 series are 5 tons.

sermis

RE: Re: RE: Getting ready to paint

Tag in the top said 2.5 and 5 ton but is about 1 foot too wide. I have another top, well it is a well used top, I cut a hole in it to access the gun ring.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
800 series 5 tons are the same width as M35, The 900 series 5 tons are wider.

sermis

hndrsonj said:
800 series 5 tons are the same width as M35, The 900 series 5 tons are wider.
Do you know haw wide the windshield frame is on the 900 series trucks. I was thinking about grafting one into my M725.

sermis

I used 5 gallons on my M725 using real CARC. Painted both the inside and outside. Frame was painted black. It was not thined and we rushed the primer which was not dry and caused flaking in the cracks and some paint is flaking off now. It is also a real rough finish which I don't like. If I were doing another in 383 I would not use real CARC but a collor match. The CARC was free and even with Free I would not use the real stuff again.

sermis

RE: 15.5 versus 12.5

I need some sandblaster parts. I have a Schmidt 3.5CF 300# pot. Need the seal for the top. Anybody know where to get one?
Opinions on blast media and size.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks