• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting ready to paint

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OOH i'm having flashbacks from my "take it apart, sand, sand, sand, sand some more, paint, bister, sand, sand, sand some more, paint again, blister again ARGH"!!! :deadhorse:

halftrack

plywood

A little late now, but always use square sections of plywood to be place under the jack stands. even though it is not thick, it will distribute the load pressure more evenly rather than point loads with the jack stand legs.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: plywood

Thanks for sharing these pics. Let this be a reminder to all of us working on anything less than a solid concrete pad. I am glad nobody was near it or under it when this happened! I wondered when I saw it on stands, if the ground was solid there(I may have tried it too in my similar driveway) but now I will be sure to remember this and be more careful myself. Thank you very much for sharing this here. I hope nothing serious was damaged on the truck. Be careful when you lift it back up. Sorry for your troubles , Eric

JDToumanian

It's probably not as bad as you think... I doubt the truck is damaged - I suppose the tie rod could be bent but if so it could be adjusted. At the very worst, you lost a pair of $19.99 Harbor Freight jack stands.

sermis

Well the jack stands under the front are 7 ton. Not sure if they are military but that is where I got them. They were rotated out due to the 07 inspection expiration. Now the orange jobbie in the rear is a Harbor Freight one.
The front ones were tweaked a little but fixable.
Does not look like it hurt anything. Looks like it went down slow. I did find a torn boot. Not from the fall but from the turning stop bolt.

Attachments

sermis

Well Halftrack came and picked up some parts. He got here around 06:30 and left around 09:00 and then the wife wanted to go eat so I got started around 12:30 - 13:00. I blasted the back frame and axels. I had 10 bags of sand thinking it would be enough for the rear. Nope and nobody has blast sand on Saturday evening. Asked the wife to bring me some play sand but noooo she brings all purpose sand. Too many rocks. Wend back to town to Lowes and found some medium sand. Boy it is course but worked to finish up. Shot primer using a Harbor freight 2 quart HVLP gun. After if figured out how to use it did ok. Using Rapco primer.
MAN I FEEL LIKE SOMEONE WHIPED ME.
Oh on one of the trips to the store I caught 2 burglars in action at a business down the road. Of all the days not to carry a gun with me.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sermis said:
Oh on one of the trips to the store I caught 2 burglars in action at a business down the road. Of all the days not to carry a gun with me.
NEVER leave home without a gun. You never know when and why you will need it! Did you at least call the cops on your cellphone?

Great jobs on the deuce so far! We don't all have the energy and determination you do!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
sermis, new rocker panels are available, contact memphin and ask, they have them made up and i have a set i could use for a pattern if many people need them

sermis

maddawg308 said:
sermis said:
NEVER leave home without a gun. You never know when and why you will need it! Did you at least call the cops on your cellphone?
Yes I know better but it was a trip for compressor oil and a gallon of tea. Less than 3 miles from my house and nothing on my mind but the deuce. Even took the shotgun out of the CJ so no one would lift it while in the store. Called it in on the phone and confronted them in the act. I could have sliced and diced if needed. I knew the Calvary was on the way so just needed to keep them busy and off tract until help arrived. I have had the vehicle info for some time as they have been steeling all over town, just did not know who they were. They had a nice secure hotel room for the night.

dabtl

There is a real M35 hardtop on eBay now, Steve. It will cost about $175 shipping. The last bid I saw was around $275. It is NOS.

Mark is parting out a nice body parts M35 at RAPCO, you might give him a call for body parts.

pa.rich

That gunner roof looks much better than the other one. You are one ambitious guy! Thanks for the pictures and keep on going. And buy the way, those tires and wheels are beefy and look great. you have a great truck. Cant wait for this heat to go away. I cant work likeyou can in the heat. God bless!

Sarge

Sermis, I'm going to quote you.... "I have no body or painting work experance so I will be asking questions."
Okily-dokily, here's a tip. 95% of a paint job is in the preparation work. Don't skimp time or money when you are getting it ready.
As long as I'm handing out unsolicited advice, here is another tip. You live about 40 miles North of me, so I know what you mean when you say that the heat is kicking you. The tip is simple, hydrate, hydrate, HYDRATE. Water is best, Gatorade is okay, caffeinated beverages are not a good idea. Our Docs in the desert would make us drink all the time. The rule is simple, if you don't have to urinate, you are not drinking enough. Some adult content here; watch the color. The darker it is, the worse off you are. It should be clear or almost clear. And frequent. This is no joke, I am painting an M820 in this awful heat (it's 105) and I cannot handle more than 3 hours a day before quitting. If you start getting dizzy, or get a splitting headache, get indoors in AC if you can, drink a bunch of water and consider medical help. One last warning, dehydration kills. No joke.

Sarge

Bare blasted metal should be coated with Phosphoric acid. Even if there is a very light coat of rust, no problem, spray it with phospho from a spray bottle. Use a mask and rubber gloves. The metal will darken, even to almost black. This will save you trouble and rust years down the road. Then prime within 24 hours.
Well, now I saw the photo's of you blasting in full protective gear. In this Texas heat. You are a stronger man than me!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see another M725 in that last pic! Glad to see someone else got the meat wagon bug at one time! Would like to see some pics of that beast as well!

sermis

Yes I like the M725 but at 6 mpg I can't drive it much with gas at $2.75 per gallon. I am looking at adding an overdrive to it to help on milage.
I wouls like to get the with of a 900 truck windshield and maybe add some swing out windshiels to it to help with the Texas heat.