• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gichner Shelter Systems Nonexpandable Shelter

Green_gator

The S250 is great in a 105 trailer as many of our members know. The HMMWV shelter does not fit in the box on a 105. Either just the frame or a generator trailer may work. Be very cautious about how far forward it goes. When you turn and try to go uphill they can bite the back of your deuce. Ask me how I know....... If you can add some risers to clear the wheels the M353 would work really well for this.

lexluther

PC trans...you are not helping this illness....
I really like the way you got yours set up. For the people that know the HMMWV shelter, do you think it could be modified to work in the box of a 105 trailer? I like the idea of being able to still have the trailer seperate from the shelter...

Last edited:

toughjeep

The only way to get the hmmwv shelter in the 105 is cut one or the other. If you could find a 105 that sombody used the bed for a bobber that might be the best bet. If you only want one trailer then next best is to trim the shelter and patch it up. The portion that would have to be trimmed is roughly 28"long by 5" deep per side. They fit nice in the bed of a deuce though.

Attachments

TJP

Pick up a Gichner shelter last week. Could not find any information on the listing S-805 so I called Gichner. Talk to very helpful woman, gave her the serial number and I was told it is the GSS-1497.
Here are some pics of my latest purchase.

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

icentropy

Thanks guys. I really enjoyed this project if only the shelter was about 2-3 feet longer....then i'd keep it forever. :? My favorite part of the shelter is definetely the door. hands down best door on any camper ever. :-D

Troll1216

+1 on the s-280, I love mine and can't wait until I can get back to work on it. I think next will be a 5T trailer to mount it on, The Deuce bed is too handy to keep full. A moilizer would work too, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAA all I need is money............

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
+1 on the s-280, I love mine and can't wait until I can get back to work on it. I think next will be a 5T trailer to mount it on, The Deuce bed is too handy to keep full. A moilizer would work too, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAA all I need is money............

Think that is the thought of about 90% the members

135gmc

The S-250 is very popular, and they can be hard to track down. You'll see them on E Bay or Graig's List sometimes, but they are where you find them. Check with any ham radio operators you know who are into field trials, and they might know of an S-250 that is available. The weight should be about 750 Lbs empty. They used several different types of airconditioner on them - including right rear mounted, front mounted, and recessed into the passenger side. There were a bunch of ACs released about 10 years ago that are still floating around new in the crate - I bought a 6000 BTU AC last year, and found that the AC was in 100 Lbs of lumber and packaging. The AC was MIL packaged, and once I got it out of the box and the barrier bag removed, all I had left to do was spend a few hours scrubbing tape residue off the sheet metal. It needed a freon recharge since the ACs service valves were an old design that was never leakproof - I updated the AC to Sporlan valves, and it works fine. Its about the most crowded 6000 BTU AC I've ever seen - plan on tunneling if you have to do anything to it. It was a MIL-STD designt hat was built by multiple MIL contractors. Some parts are standard, and others are unique to each manufacturer.

What are they worth? Good question - it depends a lot on condition. I've walked away from some that stank of mold as soon as the door was opened, and I bought one very reasonably that had a fork lift hole in the side. I used the procedures in the TM to patch the hole - thankfully, they had used spray foam to seal the hole before it became waterlogged. Once I leveled out the foam, I used some epoxy and countersunk pop rivets to fasten a patch to the skin and to bond it to the foam.

They seem to run about $ 1000 +/-. The big GOTTCHA is where is it compared to where you are. A cheap shelter that's 1000 miles away might cost a lot more than one with a higher price that's 50 miles away.

They fit a 105 trailer just fine - trhere was a thread a while ago that showed cutting an M101 trailer and moving out the wheel wells a few inches so an S-250 would fit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks