• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Give some ideas please

Dukeman

I have been here for a few months now and with all your help I am now the proud owner of a 1966 Kaiser Jeep M35A2. This is an awesome conversion to a tractor. Drove it back to Albuquerque 630 miles without any issues. We use it to tow our fifth wheels down in the sand to lake side at our local watering hole. It works great, gets me to places my F350 won't tow the 5th wheel. Here is my dilemma, of course everyone wants to ride on it. Totally not safe. We purposely did not buy a troop carrier because the 5th wheel hitch would have been a PIA to modify and make look nice. The tractor was the perfect compromise, but now I have to build some kind of small, safe, people carrying modification. I love the look of the tractor and really don't want to move the glad hands or spare. Give me some ideas about a small bed, or way to cover the tires that people can sit on fenders, something, help me out, you guys are all so good at this stuff. I'm a fair welder, so some metal fabrication would be in my tool box. Oh, by the way, the ramps have been removed and the hitch moved back to give turning radius. Thanks!

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

How about a cargo bed with a pin on it and mounting brackets that would be quickly bolted/unbolted. Just back under the bed. You would have to modify the bottom of a cargo bed but for what you want, you'll have to modify something.

caliber1

Clarify a little bit. You want something to stay on the truck full time, along with the 5th wheel? Maybe post a picture of the truck so we can see what kind of room you are working with.

SMOKEWAGON66

Making some sort of short "bed" type thing with a seat rack in it and definitely some sort of safety railing would be kind of cool I think...as long as your not hauling people around with the 5th wheel trailer hooked up. That would be a huge no-no. Something like a cat-walk with a bench seat facing forward maybe...I dont know. Just an idea.

Dukeman

yeah, I would like to see that. I was thinking fenders over the tires that were sturdy enough to sit on or a small bed. Its basically the same as my avitar, the tractor except the ramps gone and the hitch moved back. Its a M35 conversion, so I think the frame is the same as the m35. I won't be back to the lake for a couple weeks. I will take some measurements then and some better pictures. I have a couple pics on my work computer I can probably post tomorrow.

PsycoBob

Stake-pockets in front of the mid-axle, for a shortened m35 side-rack? Face forward, fold down the seat for passengers, with a strap on driver/pass sides for a little added safety. Removable & small enough for one person to lift & stow somewhere.

You may even find a crunched rack for cheap to hack up. Stow'n'go seating for a convertible.

Dukeman

That's a cool set up although for a gooseneck trailer. I could build something like that around the 5th wheel hitch. Here are a couple pics, maybe that will help. Psycho Bob, I was thinking about some type of stake fence too, that could be pretty easily set up and removed. I like the idea, I would still like to cover up the wheels though but I don't know how high I would have to make the covers, the wheels deflect quite a bit and if I get too close and want to put bigger tires on some day I would have problems with the tires rubbing the fenders.

Attachments

PsycoBob

I think Dukeman means sheetmetal over the wheels, not just behind them as mudflaps. Spring-mount removable mudflaps are available that'll fit nicely on your truck as-is, brand new from any trucking supply place.

Tweaking metal top covers may be as simple as bolting them to the vertical part of the frame, with enough excess to allow moving them up if you go to huge tires. Again, you can try sticking a few stake-pockets on the frame to mount simple flat fenders- make the part that interfaces with the pocket replaceable for later height adjustment. Uni-strut, c-strut, whatever the preferred name is.

Fenders + huge tires + trailer = problem? Any shots of the truck with the trailer attached? What tire size are you looking it, 11.00's?

Dukeman

yeah, I see what you both are talking about. I have to get some pics with the trailer on it. I will have to make sure I get enough tire clearance, but also can't get too high because of the trailer. I think its doable. If you look at the middle pic I posted you see the tire is at full deflection and does not go above the height of the hitch. My F350 bed runs about 4" above the hitch, so if I build some fenders about the height of the hitch I think I will be okay. Have to take some measurements with the trailer on. I could bolt fenders right on the frame or unistrut like Bob said. I would like them to be strong enough for someone to sit on. I'm talking cruising up and down the beach here at like 5 mph of course without the trailer on.

PsycoBob

A trailer bed might not be a bad thought. You could even leave most of it intact, with a slot cut in the back for the hitch & ramps. The trailer frame would make a nice start to a smoker, too. :drool:

/edit: Heck, snip the top trim off a trailer bed with a plasma cutter & weld it to a set of flat fenders.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you considered simply using an M105 Trailer for your off-roading passengers?
- Minimal modification to add troops seats.
- Readily available.
- Reasonably priced.
- Easy to hitch-up and drop-off.
- Available at a GL auction near you, with or wtihout optional forklift damage.
- Mulitiple color options: OD Green, Desert Tan, Woodland Camo, Desert Camo, etc.
- Places the "Screaming Children" further back from the cab so there's less Driver-Distraction.
- Ready-To-Use, no welding or assembly required.

:jumpin::driver:

Dukeman

yes, I did think about the trailer, almost bought one here locally too, but man, just another piece to haul around. It would be the easiest way to go, and we haven't ruled it out. I'm new here Bob, explain that in more detail.