• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL or Private sale?????

sak00

Not that I'm in any hurry, but I was looking for some advice. Is it better to looking at the GL for a deuce or better to see what comes up through a private sale. I am new to all this and was just wondering.

I know there is some paperwork to get straight with the GL, but how much of a hassle is it. I want one that can be titled so I could drive it.

Thanks in advance!

alphadeltaromeo

Opinion: look at both and see what sort of deals you can get. If private meets the need at the price-point, then do that...if GL has some good options....and they do...go with GL. The paper work isn't that big of a deal with GL, just takes you keeping on it and about a month or so of waiting for the EUC (background).

I won my deuce this past NOV 06 for 865.00...some just went in SC for the 1-2k range...most likely cheaper than private. There are benefits of both approaches, but I'd not favor one over the other...I'd look at both and make a decision based on price, availability and condition.

Andy

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I got mine for 2400 twelve blocks from my front door. Lots of time to look it over, bleed the brakes, etc. Some GL sites will not let you drive a "win" off the lot. I liked the fact that I didn't have to find a way to tow a 15000lb truck off a lot. Nor did I have to take a butt-load of stuff to get it running. Some GL sites drain all the fluids. I have seen many go cheaper at GL, but you'll have to wait up to 6 months to get it. My 5 ton was 750.00 from a raceway that didn't want to mess with it. If you are looking at all your options, make sure you get the word out and look EVERYWHERE.

acetomatoco

The choice is yours.. However you get my standard advice... Get the Manuals for the truck you are interested in and read them in bed for a coupla weeks before you make your decision. Will it fit in your garage, will it fit in your SO's plans... Can you register it as an antique or a special interest vehicle in your state... Are you going to use it commercially etc... hundreds of questions to answer.. You came to the right place..we have a lot of answers...some of them comical, but ususally good info... ACE

sak00

Thanks so far... another question that has popped into my head. When GL says "Buyer load" Does that mean it doesn't run or You have to tow it off the site????

alphadeltaromeo

GL says a number of things (some true, some not)....as the comments have suggested so far...you may have to bring fluids, batts and a variety of tools right. However, GL drove my deuce onto the trailer for me...I was rather surprised and very pleased. Some wont give you the time of day, some are extremely helpful. Some vehicles will run, some wont.

The great thing about SS is that we have such a distribution of members across the US...so if you find a particular vehicle to bid on, if we're close enough we'll be more than pleased to go check it out for you and give you some great input to help you make the very best decision. You may have to tow it...you may be able to drive it, etc.

yorkgulch2

After helping a friend pick up tires from GL, I decided one of the private party m35's I found locally was not such a bad deal. Definitely figure in the cost of getting it home.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
"Buyer loads" generaly means that if the forklift is broke they don't have to listen to you complain. I have bought stuff and the GL guy loaded it even though it said "buyer load" on the site info.
Some sites are remote and unmanned except when the GL guy comes to meet you and open the gate. In that case you have to have a way to load or move whatever you bought.
Sometimes the GL guys are helpful, sometimes not. I offered a guy that loaded me a tip and he politely refused and said he didn't mind helping if the customer had a good attitude.
It also depends on when you pick up. The first few days after a big sale is usually pretty busy if there was a lot of stuff sold at a particular site. Even if they load you may have to wait a while for your turn.
When you call to set up your pickup you can find out if you will need to bring equipment to load with.
I have picked up at Redstone, AL, Jacksonville, FL, and Warner Robbins, GA and have never had a bad experience at those locations.
Your mileage may vary. :)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
P.S. To the above:
The best price I found from a private buyer on a deuce was $3200.00 and it didn't have a cab cover or air shift.
I paid $1700.00 from GL and am happy with it. See pics on my post.
If you don't mind waiting on the EUC, IMHO GL is a good way to go.
If you want instant gratification look for a priivate seller.
Just my 2cents .

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I feel like alot of this have been covered heavily in the past. Taking your time is key. I ran into the problem of getting my toys home from GL locations. I would suggest that you either only buy vehicles you have preinspected and are already running, or figure out now how you would tow any vehicle home now before you get stuck. The best policy with GL is don't expect any help until you have actually talked to the guys at the location. Most guys at the locations are decent guys. It is the national office that has its foot up its behind.

area52

One other thing to consider: buying from a private individual you might be able to "haggle" with him to get the price down or get some extra things thrown in. In a GL auction its yours for the price you bid on it + 10% buyers premium.

Hunter2506

I won my deuce this past NOV 06 for 865.00...some just went in SC for the 1-2k range
On GL??? When I was bidding, most of the M35's W/W in running condition were right about what my winning bid was; $4,400. Then GL charged their 10% and tax, bringing it to $5,200.

I've seen the auctions go in the 1-2k range for really rough or not driveable units, but it seems that $3,500-$5,000 is about the norm for running units in decent shape.

I still figure I did OK, as the only items that needed replaced were batteries, master cylinder and the sprag shift linkage "shock" thingy. 'Course, the trip down and back cost me $850 between fuel, food and lodging.

That said, I don't think I ever want to go through the GL B.S. again, especially for Demil B & Q stuff. What a headache.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ADR got invloved in a unique deal for this day and age. His truck was sold amongst a bunch of flood trucks which kept the prices down. Running $865 deuces from GL are few and far between. Guess ADR was rewarded for clean living.

Westech

CPL
clean living? I see why I get the sharp stick in the eye all the time now. Anyway I got my Deuce from P party and haggled with him to the point he almost cryed. Been happy with my truck so far. Now my M220... think were going to court over that one sometime next year, that has been a really bad deal all around. Some times I think it would be ezer to deal with GL. Have to take it step by steb but if you have a huge problem you can bit*h at someone and there is always another boss to yell at. With a P party your kinda stuck.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am big into the auction scene these days, but I still buy from dealers if they've got what I want. With that said, my first three deuces were all purchased from Joe Young and I am VERY happy I chose to buy from a dealer the first time around (actually the first three times around!). It saved me a lot of headaches as I was able to "learn" the ropes of bidding and also learn about the trucks. While the deuce is not a big truck by any means, it is big enough to be dangerous to the operator and other drivers. I am happy that I went to a reputable dealer where I could inspect the truck and ask as many questions as possible. Joe Young is probably the single biggest reason why I am so into this hobby now. He is a guy that I am pleased to call a personal friend and a guy that I know I can call on to ask any advice about the trucks. Go try that after you buy a truck from GL. With that said, I did not have access to this resource (SteelSoldiers). However, I still feel the private party or dealer route is the way to go with a first truck. I suppose it all depends upon your level of mechanical knowledge. I know quite a bit now, but I was as green as most of the newbies when I started. WE've all been inexperienced at one time or another :D .

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My first MV was a 1009 CUCV from a P.P. It's nice to be able go and test-drive something. If you've never driven one, you can get the feel for it. Plus you can check out its overall mechanical condition.

GL or any auction can be a crap shoot. If you do go the GL route, pick a location close to you so you can go preview the trucks! Or, use the SS map and find a member close to the location who will go check it out for you. Some trucks look awesome on GL and will go for major $$ because of photos alone. I have seen some of those trucks in person and they turn out to be a lot rougher than the pics show. My 923A2 came from GL. It looked like crap online and much better in person so I got a decent deal on it. None of the 939 series trucks in that same auction ran. They all had some parts missing. One of the 925A2 trucks went for over $12,000 and was missing the t-case! Neither the listing or photos showed it missing. If the buyer of that truck didn't preview, he got a $2500 surprise when he got it home. So, it was a bit of a risky auction because there was no way to know if any of the $$ parts had any internal damage. I got lucky and was able to get mine on the road with several thousand dollars and lots of hard work.

No matter what route you chose, do your homework. Pal up with a couple of guys from SS that have the same truck you are looking at and ask lots of questions before you buy. I was fortunate to have bkubu, gijoeczar and John Winslow to pester before bidding.

Good luck!

sak00

Thanks guys for all the helpful advice. Like I said, I'm in no big hurry at the moment. But when the right truck comes along, I want to be ready. I am leaning toward Private party as this would be my first truck. Most of the bugs "should" be worked out. Most GL locations aren't near me, so that another factor.

Thanks again.

alphadeltaromeo

Another thought

You know...I did get a great deal right, but quite honestly, I think that wreckerman got a better deal than I did:

I finally took the plunge and won a deuce off of GL today at Fort Jackson, SC. Laughing
Hard top, winch, airshift and "redneck gun turret". Thumbs Up
I paid $ 1700.00 before GL and South Carolina get their pound of flesh.
As soon as I get the EUC, Freighttrain and I will go over and bring her home.
See pics.

See, what does it normally cost to get a complete winch? I'd reckon something like 1300/1400 or something around that range. So let's add this up...I'm figuring something like just under 2k for the complete deal (including tax and GL 10% premium). So he actually won his deuce for 600.00 or so. He did better than I :roll:

Andy