• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug Relay Wire Corrosion

axshon

So as I mentioned in another thread, I have a troubled history with auto electrical so I'm treading carefully on everything here. I've replace the farthest front and back battery cable terminals with their original eyelet-style versions since all terminals are pretty banged up. I'm replacing the connector cable in the middle completely since it's a crimped on job and utterly mangled on both ends. Napa has a replacement 4 gauge 24" wire for 8 bucks.

Now for the problem at hand. While looking over things to familiarize myself with GP bypass mod I realized that THIS is definitely not right.

GPWireSM.jpg

I'm not sure from the TMs if this is a wire with a fusible link or what's inside that ball of hate. I also need to know what gauge of wire this is so that I can get the right size ring terminal both for the new battery connector and for the terminal connector above the relay. It looks like I may be able to cut that corroded wire right at the nasty part and connect it with that short of a wire.

Help is always appreciated.

richingalveston

I believe it is #6 wire. you can cut it there and crimp it to a section of fusable link for some extra protection. Then just connect to the 12v bus. Use the same size fusable link that is used on the wire coming from the batteries.

not sure what the blob of crap is, It was not on the three CUCV's I have owned

cpf240

What is that? It almost looks like some sort of insect nest. My truck had lots of paper wasp nests in all sorts of places when I got it. Luckily they were all unoccupied. As Rich said, you can just go from the GP relay to the 12v buss right next to it, using the correct wire size, etc. Some prefer to go straight to the front battery though. Mine goes to the 12v buss, and has been that way for 2 years now, with no noticeable issues, other than having to replace the GP relay due to its internal contacts being carboned up.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the feed wire for the GP relay. It is just wire. From the E-7 diagram it show that it is wire 8 RED-2 (SXL).

From the first few pages of the Trouble shooting section it shows that it is a 8 guage Heavy Walled, high abrasion, cross-linked polyethylene wire with a Red cover.

The wire should be fine. I agree that it is a blob or insect "stuff".

E-07 glowplugs feed wire.GIFWire Sizes2.jpg

axshon

Thanks for the pointer Warthog. I was looking in the unit maintenance TM. Hadn't dug into the intermediate direct support TM yet. Looks like another evening of paging ahead!

So since I knew it was not something that was going to 'pop' or connected to some capacitor I didn't know about I was curious what it actually was. Wasp nest it is. I was thrown because the other nests were a lot whiter than this. This one looked more like some kind of crazy alkaline colored and textured corrosion.

Bugs.jpg

Much obliged gentlemen.