• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug removal Mep002a/3

dstang97

I can already tell this will not end up well. I'm pretty sure the heads are going to snap right at the cylinder head. Can I heat up the head a little with a torch to expand and loosen it up?

Guyfang

Staff member
Anyone NOT using a little heat, is wrong. Like Gimpyrobb said, "Probably multiple times over a few days". Everything comes to the man, (or woman) with patience.

Chainbreaker

There have been other members that ran into the same thing with glow plugs breaking off and as I recall they can be drilled and sometimes removed with an Easy Out bit. I'm sure others who have been there done that will chime in with their experience and solution.

Regardless, don't give up! Its just testing you. Yes, when things go wrong it can be VERY FRUSTRATING! aua When I get to that point I usually walk away for a while. After a couple of days or so I usually come back more determined than ever to win the battle with whatever I'm wrestling with and I usually succeed. Being tenacious and pushing through can be very rewarding and satisfying in the end. :beer: Whenever any glitches/malfunctions/ailments present themselves I usually end up learning and understanding much more about my generators by enduring the frustration and pain. That knowledge learned through these events can come in real handy in the future!

dstang97

I'm going to break out the acetylene latter on and see if I can get them to budge. If they come out I will continue on with it. Luckily I only paid $200 for generator and trailer and put in $200 into a pump. I already am using the trailer as a water buffalo.

dstang97

Admin can close this thread. I'm done with this gen set. At least it will serve as a good parts machine. Heated the cast iron red hot and would not budge.

Chainbreaker

Sorry to hear that news. Hopefully it will be a source of good donor parts.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a proper 21 gun salute emoticon for this fallen steel soldier! :deadhorse::usafss:

rustystud

I would give it one more try. Heat it up again and then take your "BFH" (big ....... hammer) and smack the top of the glow plugs. Then let them cool down. Then spray some "Panther Piss" on them (any good bolt loosener will do, I like PB blaster myself) and let them sit for a day. Now go after them with the easy out again. I have found that with a combination of heat, cooling and hammering along with a good bolt loosener they will come out. Just make sure to use plenty of "Anti-Seize" on them in the future.

dangier

I have had several glow plugs like that. Patience is key using Rusty's process above. Alternate may be taking the heads to a machine shop and let them go at it. Have also seen ads for used heads in good condition (seller's opinion). Is the rest of the genny in good condition? May pay to have the heads worked on....
Good luck!

Socommfg

I have a glow plug removal tool I made. It will pull the glow plugs in less than 5 minutes each, no matter how swollen. If you need to borrow it let me know and I will send it to you.

Do not fight the plugs... This tool is a MUST.

Ernie
Socom mfg
10375 Atomic rd
N.Augusta SC 29841
800-648-7687

Last edited:

Socommfg

Sorry... the plugs MUST be unscrewed from the head and this will pull them out of the head. If they are the same size as the 6.2 series..

ernie

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks