• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plugs by Indusa

mangus580

I have yet to actually mess with replacing my glow plugs.... really shoulda before the Arctic Kit aua

I have noticed alot of places that claim they supply the military... Not sure of the truth to it though. I almost wonder if one manufacture makes them, and all the suppliers try to take the claim...

Warren Lovell

I just replaced mine and the time for the light to go out has definetely decreased. The old ones were AC 13g's with no swelling at all. They look original as they are as rusty as the manifold. M1009 started right up.

Is there a chance of getting better mileage when you replace glow plugs?

Warren

bassplayer88

I just installed the indusa g070 in my 6.2l m1009(was) , manually controlled glow plugs . Worked great . This vehicle hasn't been started since one of the hurricanes prior to Katrina. Converted it to 12v , fired right up ....

rockspider

Hallo to you all, first post here.

I'm looking around for new glow plugs, and saw that ebay Indusa add too.
I'm quite unsure if I should buy Indusa G070 or Delco G60. Which are better? I still have the original military controller, it works but almost always needs to cycle twice the plugs before starting. In very low subfreezing temps sometimes it cyles three times to start.

Also Indusa add says they are 24v plugs, but here Bassplayer said he has them converted to 12v, so what is the truth? If they were really 24v, at 12v they should be barely warm, not hot. What am I missing here?

kenny

I have been told the only thing 24 on a cucv is the starter.
That big black thing on the fire wall right behind your air cleaner changes 24 to 12 and then it goes right to the glow plug relay.So I would think it would be 12 volt glow plugs

bassplayer88

There listed as 24v do to the original power source 24v , the 24v is reduced to 12v via x2 resistors. I under stand that 12+v spikes can pass the resistor causing glow plug damage if rated 12v. I replaced mine with g070's with a wired 12v conversion system (running x2 isolated 12v systems) , and the one's taken out were g070's. same company.

rockspider

I see, they used that large resistor to drop 24v to 12v, probably to avoid having them to drain from one battery only.
Honestly I don't understand why nobody at the project stage did think about producing real 24v plugs then, and remove the bulky resistor.

Oh, well, however with the dual alternator system of the M1028 there's no risk of damaging one of the batteries due to uneven drain. I can buy them then.

Bassplayer what wired conversion system are you talking about? Sorry but don't understand what does "running x2 isolated 12v systems" means.

Thanks

CCATLETT1984

I got a set of glow plugs from SSDIESEL (search google) and they are supposed to be self limiting (NO SWELLING) and they are supposed to heat better than the 60g's

i may have fried a plug or two, but thats because of an electrical issue that i had a few weeks ago. i am in the proccess of tracing the GP circuit to determine the location of the problem.

mangus580

The uneven drain was an issue when starting. Glow plugs are a bigtime heavy load, and you really dont want to place that all on one battery. That being said... people have done it alot.

If you switch the plugs out with 24v and bypass the resistors... you WILL fry your controller. The controller has a voltage sense wire that monitors the voltage coming out of the resistors. The longer the plugs are on, the more the voltage drops. This is one of the things that tells the controller when to turn off.

As far as 24v frying the 12v plugs.... that will only happen if they are left on too long (for example bad controller or MANUAL button)

When it functions properly (as mine does) its better than any of the civvy setups used stock on the 6.2's....

Armada

Good info. Has anyone actually replaced the original factory 13g's with another set of 13g's? And did you notice a difference in cycle time with the fresh set? I've got the original 22 year old set that I'd like to replace 'cause I'm sure it would speed up the cycle time. I tend to stay with the military stock set-up, because when the system is up to par, even in the coldest weather, it does work great as Mike said!

rockspider

Ok, you're right. The uneven drain at starting could mean not enough juice to spin the starter in very cold situations.
But the idea of that resistor wasting the same amount of power the plugs are using, is somewhat upsetting...
Wondering if it could be possible to wire each plug to a mosfet, and drive all eight them with a switching regulator.
This way it should be possible to regulate the current demand to plugs and drive them at full 24v but without burning them, even if left on for long.
It's something similar to what in RC models is used to regulate power and speed of electric motors, and those nifty electronic regulators can drive in excess of 100 Ampere...
Anyone ever thought about this?

mangus580

Armada, if they are all working.... I wouldnt mess with them :)

rock.... another thing on the waste. If they werent setup 24v, the vehicle couldnt be started via slave cable... the whole point behind the 24v ;-)

as far as the mofsets, that I dont know, not an electronics expert. I will see if I can nudge cranetruck and see if he has anything to add for that...

mangus580

I think that if you did that, you would let too much voltage through on the 'voltage sense' wire to the controller, possibly destroying the controller, and it may also never shut the plugs off.

CCATLETT1984

I have my plugs setup on a manual switch, no controller ( right now the controller is hooked up to the rest of the wires though, I just hold the switch until the light goes out.) just an idea. would make more sense though. should be able to wire in a small resister to feed the voltage sense wire and the voltage across it should drop in proportion to the voltage that is being sent to the GP's

mangus580

but without the dropping resistors designed in the system now, the voltage wont drop. at least not in the theory that it was designed.... I think :)

CCATLETT1984

but you wouldn't be dropping the voltage to the plugs, just from the 24v out of the GP relay to the small resister to cut the voltage in half to the voltage sense wire, my buddy works at radio shack. I'll have him pick me up a few resisters and use the multimeter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks